BMW changed the trim on new M850 Gran Coupe - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 8 Series G15 (2018 - Current)

8 Series G15 (2018 - Current)

Old 03-03-2020, 10:51 AM

Mein Auto: 740i XDrive Mperformance
BMW changed the trim on new M850 Gran Coupe

Hello,

Ordered a new M850 Gran Coupe Shaphire Black and it is on the boat on the way.
I noticed that the new trim is " Chrome " and not the shadow line black that it is on the BMW
" build your own " web site .
Does anybody know about this change ?

Thanks for any input .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2020, 08:27 PM

Mein Auto: 325ci
I thought you had to order the m sport package In order to get black shadow line trim.
Old 03-03-2020, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustovier View Post
I thought you had to order the m sport package In order to get black shadow line trim.

The M850 Gran Coupe has the M Sport already as part of the standard features , that is why is called M850 .....

What they changed is the trim it seems .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2020, 05:34 AM

Mein Auto: 528it
i noticed that on the configurator a couple of days ago. not sure why they wouldn't make shadowline trim available on the 850. It does show up for the 840.
Old 03-04-2020, 07:28 AM

reason why they don't is because the shadowline option is part of a " Wheel cooling package "
that is actually a very unnecessary package only if you are going to use the car for racing ......
BMW decided not to offer the shadowline option as a stand alone on the M850 because all the M850 were delivered with the shadowline option as standard .
Now with the new orders they decided to change the configuration ????
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M850.png
Views:	46
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	884171  

Last edited by Pabs58; 03-04-2020 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-22-2020, 04:28 PM

I too am caught up in the quandary of the change in shadowline trim. I'm leaning toward an 850 in carbon black that is available, but it has the chrome trim around the windows.

There is an 840 available in shadowline, but i would prefer the beastly engine of the 850.

Any idea if you can easily swap out the trim by ordering shadowline and replacing?

of course, i know in the context of what's going on in the world right now, this should be least of anyone's worries - but just trying to go on about things.

thoughts?
Old 03-22-2020, 06:00 PM

No the shadowline cannot be ordered or install .
I agree with you about considering what is going on right now , this is a very very minor problem.
Which brings me to this point : My new M850 GC is arriving to the port in LA on the 24th and to the dealer I think within 5 days after that , if the dealership is open and the car does indeed get there I feel kind of weird about picking up a car especially a luxury car right now even though I am driving a 2017 740IX M performance ........
As you can tell I am a bit perplexed !!
Old 03-23-2020, 07:11 AM

Thanks PABS 58 -

I'm just curious as why - I imagine a body shop could order it for repair of a damaged vehicle. Is it just that BMW won't sell it if they think you are thing to modify the car? Or is it just not practically replaceable due to the complexity of the attachments?
Old 03-23-2020, 07:35 AM

From what i noticed the " chrome trim " that replaced the shadowline for the M850 GC is not just the window trim it flows/connect with the bottom part of the outside mirrors , also the exhaust pipes cover is in Chrome !

The interesting thing is that if you go to the BMW USA webpage and build a 840I/840IX when you choose the " M Sport " there the car changes from Chrome trim to shadowline , but on the build your own M850 GC there are NO options to choose .
Old 03-26-2020, 09:11 AM

I got some scoop from BMW USA - turns out you get the shadowline trim either with the standard 20" Cerium wheels or with the special cooling package and the black wheels.

If you change to 19" wheels, you get the chrome line package. Most of the other wheel options also generate the chrome package.

It's buried in the ordering guide if you really dive into the details - still a bit frustrating.

What wheels did you get?
Old 03-26-2020, 02:09 PM

My car arrived at the port yesterday , contacted the dealership and it seems they are having some issues with the delivery of the car and others due at this dealership !
Regarding your question : I order the standard 20" M V-Spoke cerium grey wheels style 728M with run flats and still the car is coming with the " Chrome Trim" ??
Yes you are right to get the shadowline trim you have to order the cooling brake /black wheels and yes it is buried in the order that only the dealer has , it doesn't show that on the " BMW Build your own "

Very interesting and kind of not very proper of BMW to change options/packages without notifying the dealerships , especially after having the car already ordered and actually built !

Again considering what a surreal world we have right now , this is minor ......

Take care , stay safe and healthy !!
Old 03-26-2020, 08:32 PM

Mein Auto: 325ci
That's so strange why bmw would change it. I just took delivery of a 840 ix with the m sport package and the standard 19inch wheels in carbon black (with cognac interior). So it had the shadow line. I was actually preferring the chrome at first and I let it bother me at first before I even received the car. But now that it's here shadowline has grown on me. I think it's very minor this difference and either way you are gonna like it.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:42 PM

Happy you like the shadowline .
The interesting and not so making sense at all is that the 840I/840IX GC if choosen with the " Sport Package " gets the shadowline trim , BUT the M850 GC which has the " Sport Package " included automatically by the fact that the car is an M performance doesn't get the shadowline trim .
Don't understand the logic at all !

Last edited by Pabs58; 03-26-2020 at 10:55 PM.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:43 PM

I spent hours going through the guides with BMW USA and my local sales manager. They couldn't get an 850 to build without the "346 - chrome line trim."

I showed them pictures online of 850's with cerium 20" wheels and the shadowline trim - all they could say - "something must have changed."

I found a sapphire black 850 yesterday with shadowline and jumped on it. I started to worry it's possible with the lines being shut down, and BMW's general lackluster 8series sales, that they might not start back up with 8's.

IN any event, pricing was pretty darn favorable given the stress the whole system is feeling.

Either way, the cars look great. and in today's environment, being picky about trim color seems like a first world problem.
Old 03-30-2020, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracythorne View Post
I spent hours going through the guides with BMW USA and my local sales manager. They couldn't get an 850 to build without the "346 - chrome line trim."

I showed them pictures online of 850's with cerium 20" wheels and the shadowline trim - all they could say - "something must have changed."

I found a sapphire black 850 yesterday with shadowline and jumped on it. I started to worry it's possible with the lines being shut down, and BMW's general lackluster 8series sales, that they might not start back up with 8's.

IN any event, pricing was pretty darn favorable given the stress the whole system is feeling.

Either way, the cars look great. and in today's environment, being picky about trim color seems like a first world problem.

Why do you think the M850GC is not doing well in the market , people don't like it or what .....?
Old 03-30-2020, 06:21 PM

the car is basically the next generation of the six, but they called it an eight and raised the price substantially. it's one heck of a marketing play if you can pull it off, but bottom line, I don't think they pulled it off.

I only went with it because: 1) i was so unhappy with my MB CLS AMG 53 (long story), and 2) the pricing with the dealers was super aggressive because of the current market.

for more - take a look at this link: https://f92.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1705914

it contains a link to an article in one of the car rags describing the situation further.

when do you get yours?
Old 03-30-2020, 06:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
I saw an orange, F10 M5 with bright trim around the windows in 2013 at the Performance Center, at M School. But, it wasn't around very long. Within the first ten minutes of the first session of a two-day school, some architect from NYC put the orange M5 into the guardrail. A lot of foreign markets offer bright window trim on M cars. Porsche offers it as a option on Carrera's and Carrera S's. Bright trim really sets off a dark colored car.

It was raining. One of the students asked what effect that would have on the school. The instructors told us to turn the wipers on and be careful.

Last edited by Autoputzer; 03-30-2020 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:10 PM

Quote:
the car is basically the next generation of the six, but they called it an eight and raised the price substantially. it's one heck of a marketing play if you can pull it off, but bottom line, I don't think they pulled it off.

I only went with it because: 1) i was so unhappy with my MB CLS AMG 53 (long story), and 2) the pricing with the dealers was super aggressive because of the current market.

for more - take a look at this link: https://f92.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1705914

it contains a link to an article in one of the car rags describing the situation further.

when do you get yours?
I just checked with the fleet dept. Manager that I have been getting cars for the last 20+ years and he said " that the car is at the Port going trough inspection and he doesn't foresee any delays ?"
Besides the fact that having a car like this which is more unique since there are not going to be too many on the road , in my opinion is a beautiful car, great to drive and very different inside than most BMW's !!

Last edited by Pabs58; 03-30-2020 at 07:16 PM.
Old 04-10-2020, 03:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to SS Send a message via Yahoo to SS
Mein Auto: 650iC/X5 4.8/545i/330CiC
Quote:

when do you get yours?
I know this may seem true, but, it is not. The 6-series was discontinued and replaced with the 8, however, they are two way completely different beasts in reality! I've owned both vehicles, and although they look a lot alike, the two feel like nothing alike. The 8 is far superior to the 6, and the only comparison seems to only be in our minds due to marketing.

I believe the GC isn't selling so well right now simply due to the timing of everything going on.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS View Post
The 6-series was discontinued and replaced with the 8, however, they are two way completely different beasts in reality!
having lived with the 8 for a couple of weeks now - i agree with you - they are quite different. The 8 feels much bigger and heavier (in a good way). It rides much better than my old 650 did, but still has plenty of power - that engine more than compensates for the extra heft.

i've been quite happy! but I do think there is an optics problem - i think many people agree with my original sentiment that it's a rebranded 6 series with a much heftier price point.
Old 04-11-2020, 05:19 PM

Well,
My ordered M850 GC arrived at port but since the dealership is closed for the month of April ( who knows maybe longer ) the car is going to sit at the port for the foreseeable future !
Needles to say that there are more important issues right now and this is so minor in the scheme of things, .
Just an update !

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 8 Series G15 (2018 - Current)
Today's Posts Search