Battery swap procedure - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > E82 / E87 / E88 / F20 1 Series (2008 - 2014)

E82 / E87 / E88 / F20 1 Series (2008 - 2014)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by a naturaly aspirated inline 6 in the 128 or the turbo twin power inline 6 rocket sled 135.

Old 03-03-2020, 04:24 PM

Mein Auto:
Battery swap procedure

Has anyone swapped their battery without going through all the complicated reset procedures? if so, I will appreciate hearing all the details of your successes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2020, 02:45 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
The "reset procedures" only improve battery service life. It will work fine without, just not for so long.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 03-04-2020, 03:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 328i
The reset procedure is not complicated, it only takes a minute. You just need the right tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2020, 02:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 135 convertible
You are in grave danger if you don't register your new battery. Okay, sarcasm mode switched off.
You may only get 4 years instead of 5 out of your $120 battery.

I don't keep batteries longer than 4 years, no matter how well they are working. I live where it gets cold and wintery, and long battery life by keeping old batteries isn't part of my winter survival plan.
Old 03-15-2020, 11:42 AM
where da clutch at ?

Mein Auto: BMW 128i Msport
for a short time, ok, but NOT a good idea
google up batteries exploding for not registering them
Old 04-01-2020, 05:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 bmw 128i
I swapped my battery from 80 ah to 90 ah agm no problem yesterday as I needed a working battery to code. Just unscrew every screws unplug negative battery first then positive, unscrew the bracket holding the battery on the bottom and take the battery out.

as for the coding. when you installed your new battery(plug the positive first then the negative), if you have the same type of battery as the old one, you dont have to code it but if you're about to replace another type of battery like mine, you have to code it either iCarly, bimmergeeks apps, or INPA.
put the key on ignition on(remember don't start the engine or it will blow your battery)
hook up your preferred method of coding(takes about a minute) and once it's done, cycle the ignition and congratulations.

the only reset you'll get is your time on your dashboard and date. most likely your radio.

Last edited by 128i2011bmw; 04-01-2020 at 05:35 PM.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:34 PM
where da clutch at ?

Mein Auto: BMW 128i Msport
"if you have the same type of battery as the old one, you dont have to code"

During the BMW battery registration process, the following happens:

Battery capacity is set to 80%
The current Odometer reading is stored

The below battery statistics below are deleted or reset:
current,
voltage,
battery charge level.
Stored temperature statistics

If you don't register and code for a new battery it may result in improper charging.
Over time, improper charging may have detrimental effects on the lifespan of the battery and the vehicles electronics.

Your BMW lives and dies with proper operation of the engine electronics which is fueled by the battery.

There are WAY too many horror stories of batteries going boom, and I would also say "electronic" issues down the line,
which may NOT be initially attributed to the battery.

Personally I wouldn't take a chance.

But then again with my BMW whilst my wallet does not overflow with money I don't "nickle and dime" my car.
If I wanted to do that I'd still be driving my 12year POS Dodge Neon and not my 128

Get it done once, get it done right,

Last edited by jaye944; 04-01-2020 at 07:37 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > E82 / E87 / E88 / F20 1 Series (2008 - 2014)
Today's Posts Search