Used range rovers around $10K - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. **Note** - Political posting is not allowed (or welcome) at Bimmerfest.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:03 PM

Mein Auto: M3 Lime Rock
Used range rovers around $10K

I see so many Range Rovers on Craigslist selling around $8-12k for the cheapest ones out there. And usually like 03-05 HSE type ones, the iconic Range Rover everyone recognizes and it still looks nice for how old it is. I woudn't go any older than 03 because then it looks like a dated old car.

But what's the catch to buying one of these $10k Range Rovers that are around 10 years old? They still look nice and I don't think many people would tell this is a 10 year old car, the style has really changed much to notice a huge difference and maybe you can fool people to think you bought this car new 3 years ago.

I could def afford this one if I wanted to drop like $8-9k on this one I found on criagslist. I could just pay it off since I got about $24k in my account right now, so I guess I could choose to look like a baller than settling for some new tiny Toyota with a plastic interior.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...578961291.html

I know the main reason they're so cheap used is because the cost of maintenance is high. But I thought these cars were priced so cheap that even with the high cost to fix, it will still be cheaper than spending $60-70k on a new one just for it to lose value. But since I have a motorcycle I usually drive more often than any car, I would probably use this Range Rover on occasions that require transporting something that can't be done on my motorcycle (grocery, going snowboarding, friends night out, etc). But if I'm just transporting myself only, I will choose the motorcycle over a car any day, especially if I live in LA and had to deal with traffic. So any car I buy will be like the alternate transportation because the motorcycle is almost my main source of transport as I usually put 1000 miles a month on it.

I thought Range Rovers were cool and for only $10k, these cars are a bargain for what they are. Usually 8-10 years old, but since the style barely changed, it still looks like a baller car as long as it's an 03 or newer. Some of them have cool body kits, which is a bonus. I could drive a rich person's car for less than a normal Toyota, and even most Toyotas are still around $10k used, so why don't people just upgrade to a $10k Range Rover? I'm not sure, not saying they're stupid, but is the repairs on a car this old going to offset the cheapness later in the future? Maybe if it were my main transportation, then there probably be a ton of problems. But if it was like my 2nd source of transportation and maybe I only do 100-200 miles a month on it, would that make it cheaper to own? Because if I don't need an SUV to do errands or have no passengers, I will just ride my motorcycle to get around.

Last edited by JetFalcon; 08-01-2014 at 01:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2014, 01:40 PM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
They're great trucks. I've owned two of the older ones (P38). You're talking about the L322 generation, and the 03-05 actually have a TON of BMW components. It's an M62 engine, ZF transmission, and much of the electronics are from the BMW as well.

Be prepared for differential/drive shaft problems, electronics problems, and air suspension problems. If you go into it with realistic expectations that maintenance is NOTHING like a Toyota, you'll enjoy it.

C:\>Sent from my 386 using MS-DOS__
// 1997 Land Rover Discovery // 1998 Land Rover Discovery //
// 2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 // 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250 //
// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //
Ok...this is getting ridiculous. Someone come buy a few of these things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Old 08-01-2014, 05:23 PM
lurking

Mein Auto: 323ci, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
They're great trucks. I've owned two of the older ones (P38). You're talking about the L322 generation, and the 03-05 actually have a TON of BMW components. It's an M62 engine, ZF transmission, and much of the electronics are from the BMW as well.

Be prepared for differential/drive shaft problems, electronics problems, and air suspension problems. If you go into it with realistic expectations that maintenance is NOTHING like a Toyota, you'll enjoy it.

ZF is a third party transmission supplier. BMW as well as other auto manufacturers use them.
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2014, 08:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 535XI
I have a 2005 lexus gx470. Very reliable vehicle. They are easy to work on and just a little more than similar year range rover. If your worried about maintanance costs or reliability consider one of these.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-02-2014, 09:31 AM
I'm smarter than you're.

Mein Auto: 2017 Subaru STi
Quote:
Originally Posted by HW View Post
ZF is a third party transmission supplier. BMW as well as other auto manufacturers use them.
Surprisingly, BMW also uses GM transmissions in some of their cars. GM makes some of the best auto trannies in the world.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:20 AM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Quote:
Originally Posted by HW View Post
Yes, sorry if that wasn't clear. My point was that the drivetrain was almost straight out of BMWs from the same vintage.

// 1997 Land Rover Discovery // 1998 Land Rover Discovery //
// 2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 // 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250 //
// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //
Ok...this is getting ridiculous. Someone come buy a few of these things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic
Today's Posts Search