Bunch of Codes, Crank but no start after Valve Cover Replacement? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 04-09-2020, 02:54 PM

Mein Auto: E70 X5 and E46 ZHP
Bunch of Codes, Crank but no start after Valve Cover Replacement?

In the past I replaced the valve cover on my 06 E46 ZHP and a couple days ago I decided to also do it for my 2011 E70 X5 (35i, X-Drive). It was difficult compared to the E46 but not too bad until I went to start the X5 (it will turn over but not start). After hours of looking online for a solutions...I'm about ready to give up and take it into a local indy mechanic but since I'm stuck at home due to the Covid-19 and have time on my side before the wife needs the car back...I figured I'd post and see if anyone has had a similar problem.

I do have a code reader and here are the codes I'm getting:

-332F Terminal 87_2, power supply switched by main relay, electric short circuit to ground.
-2E4B Exhaust Flap, activation short circuit to earth
-2D52 VANOS solenoid valve, intake, activation short circuit to ground.
-2D9C Exhaust VANOS solenoid valve, activation, short circuit to earth
-2C89 Blow-off valve activation short circuit to earth
-300C Intake camshaft sensor signal high
-300E Exhaust camshaft sensor signal high
-3400 Engine oil pressure control valve, activated short circuit to ground

I checked, and then "double" checked all my connections and they appear ok. I have not found any blown fuses but perhaps I'm not checking the right ones? The fuse chart for the E70 is NOT user friendly! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2020, 09:17 PM

Mein Auto: e70 X5d, e36 M3
I can only give general advice - double check all connectors and ground straps. Use dielectric grease on the electrical connectors to ensure proper mating of all surfaces. Check for dirt or grease and clean this out first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-09-2020, 09:55 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Isnt there an eccentric shaft sensor/valvetronic motor/wiring harness on the VC that can get damaged leading to codes that look like those?

Instead of looking at these codes, try looking for "VC change gone bad" posts and threads. Not just E70, but any BMWs with this motor

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2020, 06:22 PM

Mein Auto: 330ci ZHP, X5 E70
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM011 View Post
I can only give general advice - double check all connectors and ground straps. Use dielectric grease on the electrical connectors to ensure proper mating of all surfaces. Check for dirt or grease and clean this out first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Will definitely be back at it once the torrential downpour of rain subsides here in SD! While I love to turn a wrench...I sure fall apart when it comes to sorting out electrical gremlins!
Old 04-10-2020, 06:35 PM

Mein Auto: 330ci ZHP, X5 E70
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Isnt there an eccentric shaft sensor/valvetronic motor/wiring harness on the VC that can get damaged leading to codes that look like those?

Instead of looking at these codes, try looking for "VC change gone bad" posts and threads. Not just E70, but any BMWs with this motor
Thanks for the advice! I did search for all N55 engine issues related to my codes and got a few results but it seems like most threads just end without word on what the problems was! I bet it's a loose wire that perhaps I damaged while pulling off the cover or perhaps pulling off the airbox. I was careful but I'm not the original owner and some of the wires definitely look like they have been messed around with!

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
2c89, 2d52, 2d9c, 2e4b, 300c, 300e, 332f, 3400, 87_2, e70, valve cover, x5

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search