X5 E70 CCC upgrade to 10.25" Android - Page 5 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:02 PM

Mein Auto: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalit.sis View Post
Hi guys, m tempted to install this unit just because my 2008 3.0sd already had a sos call failure and my aux n reverse camera not working. Need to replace bluetooth module which would be hefty $450 aud!! So would rather install this unit but unsure if all functions will work incl reverse camera with the this annoying error. Any suggestions guys?

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
if you order the reverse camera then it is an inline unit, as long as your car can sense that you are in reverse then you are good, i dont know if it will work with the stock backup camera. I couldn't get mine to work after buying a new mufl2 unit and tcu and no dice so now im running it through an aux port on my bluetooth until i figure it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2017, 07:13 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E70
Anyone order it with Apple CarPlay? Looking for the app for it and instructions.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:49 AM

Mein Auto: bmw
I have a few questions :
-If I don't have currently a camera, can I add?
-does the obd work still? Like the engine oil level etc.
-controls on the steering still work?

Thanks to all

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
Old 08-13-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderfoot View Post
I have a few questions :
-If I don't have currently a camera, can I add?
-does the obd work still? Like the engine oil level etc.
-controls on the steering still work?

Thanks to all

all very good Questions
1. You can add the optional reverse camera add on, I did.
2. Everything in your car works the same, think of it as another input on your tv meaning you can switch between the android screen and the idrive screen
3. Steering controls are hit or miss. They work sometimes for some apps like spotify, but work fine for bluetooth phone calls operation.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:34 PM

Mein Auto: bmw
Thanks rediahad, very helpful. Which brand do you have?

Old 08-13-2017, 09:51 PM

I have the avinusa unit, i'm currently preparing a writeup for the install. I just need to take some cleaner pics of small parts
Old 08-14-2017, 12:06 AM

Mein Auto: E70 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pplayer View Post
A bit confuse about the AUX and USB. We originally have one USB and AUX under the armrest. With this unit I see there are 2 USB and a AUX coming out from it. So now we have 3 USB and 2 AUX in total. Or we have to connect them together so finally we only have 2 USB and 1 AUX?
So if you opt not to have the additional 2 USB and 1 AUX, do the original USB and AUX in the armrest work the same as before...??
Would be nice to run a portable HDD, I believe that's currently not possible with the existing CCC and AUX/USB in the armrest...???
Old 08-14-2017, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixja23 View Post
So if you opt not to have the additional 2 USB and 1 AUX, do the original USB and AUX in the armrest work the same as before...??
Would be nice to run a portable HDD, I believe that's currently not possible with the existing CCC and AUX/USB in the armrest...???
Why would you opt out on the additional USB and AUX? I just plugged in a 16gb USB key full of music albums in one of USB slots the unit came with. Works like a charm. Movies work as well, but needed to be .mov file. Not too sure about original USB as I don't have one.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelskii View Post
Why would you opt out on the additional USB and AUX? I just plugged in a 16gb USB key full of music albums in one of USB slots the unit came with. Works like a charm. Movies work as well, but needed to be .mov file. Not too sure about original USB as I don't have one.
I wouldn't ever use them tbh, I have a 25gb iPhone, all my music is on there...
And seeing as iTunes compresses it rather well, my 350gb of music gets bumped down to about 150gb...
I also stream a lot using MixCloud etc...
Was just wondering about the use of a portable HDD, whether it would be possible with the existing USB port when it's hooked up to this unit...

Last edited by mixja23; 08-14-2017 at 06:30 AM.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5
Double Post.

Last edited by ill_kuma; 08-14-2017 at 08:09 AM.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rediahad View Post
I have the avinusa unit, i'm currently preparing a writeup for the install. I just need to take some cleaner pics of small parts
Waiting for my unit to come. I am about to pick a backup camera from amazon too. Cant wait for your write-up with pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixja23 View Post
I wouldn't ever use them tbh, I have a 25gb iPhone, all my music is on there...
And seeing as iTunes compresses it rather well, my 350gb of music gets bumped down to about 150gb...
I also stream a lot using MixCloud etc...
Was just wondering about the use of a portable HDD, whether it would be possible with the existing USB port when it's hooked up to this unit...
I was told the following:
-Will support thumb drive but not external HDD.
-Will support various video formats...they did not give me which specific extensions.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ill_kuma View Post
Waiting for my unit to come. I am about to pick a backup camera from amazon too. Cant wait for your write-up with pics!

-Will support various video formats...they did not give me which specific extensions.
I'm not sure if our cars are prewired for backup cameras but that would've been cool. Anyway, I had already added an AM reverse camera before this unit and I wired it myself and tapped my power wire from the reverse light which acted as both power and remote.

The AVIN unit comes prewired with a remote wire and power, so you don't have to run those.

I also just placed an order for the Apple Carplay adapter.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:18 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure if our cars are prewired for backup cameras but that would've been cool. Anyway, I had already added an AM reverse camera before this unit and I wired it myself and tapped my power wire from the reverse light which acted as both power and remote.

The AVIN unit comes prewired with a remote wire and power, so you don't have to run those.

I also just placed an order for the Apple Carplay adapter.
I couldn't justify that buy because i knew nothing about car play or if i even needed it. let us know how yours works out.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:51 PM

Quote:

Well, there's still plenty of scope to be entertained without a HDD lol...

Have just ordered mine with dash cam and CarPlay...
I even paid the full price even after asking Tommy if the discount was still available which was $155 of the unit as I simply forgot all about it...
When I emailed him after placing the order, he refunded the $155 immediately...
Now that's what I call service...
Old 08-15-2017, 12:09 PM

I am still waiting for mine. I tracked my package and DHL said delivered yesterday but I dont see the package. I looked the delivery detail to see who signed for it since it requires a signature upon delivery. There was no signature but it seems like the DHL guy took a picture of the package on the ground...seems like its the outside steps of my place. Dont know what I should do now.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:23 AM

Mein Auto: 05 E90 325i & 09 E70 35D
Just ordered one with CarPlay and Camera for the E70 (which has a dead reverse camera and dead bluetooth) and another with CarPlay and camera for the E90, hopefully receive next week, then a busy weekend ahead! Will report back in with some photos once it's done.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
I am still waiting for mine. I tracked my package and DHL said delivered yesterday but I dont see the package. I looked the delivery detail to see who signed for it since it requires a signature upon delivery. There was no signature but it seems like the DHL guy took a picture of the package on the ground...seems like its the outside steps of my place. Dont know what I should do now.
ouch....hope you find it. or maybe someone took it in your house? ask your neighbors...
Old 08-16-2017, 10:14 AM

To the OP. I got my iDrive knob to work with the android screen. You gotta go to the factory settings and pick which one works with your car. I chose iDrive B and the knob works now.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rediahad View Post
if you order the reverse camera then it is an inline unit, as long as your car can sense that you are in reverse then you are good, i dont know if it will work with the stock backup camera. I couldn't get mine to work after buying a new mufl2 unit and tcu and no dice so now im running it through an aux port on my bluetooth until i figure it out.

Thanks mate, ordered mine from ebay, awaiting.... also can anyone please advise the boot time for this unit when u start the car?

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 08-16-2017, 09:40 PM

Can anyone that's installed this comment on how the FM radio works?

Does it still work when in the 'new' menus? And do you have to access it through the old car menu? Or is there a button that goes direct to the radio?
Old 08-17-2017, 07:48 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 E70
Quote:
To the OP. I got my iDrive knob to work with the android screen. You gotta go to the factory settings and pick which one works with your car. I chose iDrive B and the knob works now.
Thanks for the info. I'm still waiting for my unit to arrive to test this out. I was going to retrofit to CIC controller if the CCC one doesn't work.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samgreenwood View Post
Can anyone that's installed this comment on how the FM radio works?

Does it still work when in the 'new' menus? And do you have to access it through the old car menu? Or is there a button that goes direct to the radio?
The radio does work while you're in the android screen. No shortcut to the radio (
none that I know of, at least). The Adroid screen doesn't have a radio menu so you'd have to go back to original car screen to access the radio.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
The radio does work while you're in the android screen.
I read that at does not first and nearly had a heart attack, thanks for confirming that it does work

Hoping there will be some pictures up of everyones install after the coming weekend.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:56 AM

This was the night I installed it. Best advice I can give is to do the install when there's still daylight out! I couldn't wait till the next day to install it...Luckily I didn't break or lose anything.

Also, if you wanna upgrade the SD card (it comes with 16gb), I suggest to do it before the install- not sure if you can remove the SD card without having to remove the screen from the dash. It's in a very tight space on the left side...

Overall it's a pretty easy DIY if you've done any types of radio installs before...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AVINusa.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	646841  
Old 08-18-2017, 02:22 PM

Another. Just looks stock AF. Love it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4523.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	647089  

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
10.25" ccc e70 android radio

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search