Auto H functionality - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-21-2019, 08:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW X5 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
Wow! Really. Pray we never have a diesel run-away. I doubt an automatic transmission can stall the motor as the TDI MT can. You must not take a run-away diesel to neutral unload it.
True, the engine doesn't slow down the vehicle's motion for automatic transmissions as good as it does for manual transmissions. Although I can imagine one could play with the steptronics in a similar fashion as you would downshifting in a manual setup; but I don't reckon it will be as effective.

I also think that in an engine run-away scenario, that the steptronic downshifting will be useless since the monitoring systems in the Bimmer will reverse your inputs due to vehicle speed and engine speed. I read somewhere that while using the steptronics, if you leave the transmission in a low gear for too long and continue revving up the engine, the system takes over and puts it in normal driving mode to protect the engine. So one could really be screwed if such a scenario ever happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
A nuclear plant back-up steam power plant had two turbine generators with cross connected low pressure steam sections for load sharing balancing. Someone was taking down the steam plant and forgot to shut the cross connect and popped open the breaker at minimum power indication. The turbine ran away on LP steam from the other side. The direct coupled generator came apart and the 3 ton rotor destroyed the generator room. The power plant was replaced with DGs. The apprentice taking logs at the time, an acquaintance, said he hunkered down next to the biggest foundation that he could see and waited for the noise to stop. Said the rotor got stuck spinning in a corner and rattled for 30 seconds.
WOW!!! Hope no casualties or serious injuries were incurred.

Last edited by Falkon; 08-21-2019 at 08:45 AM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search