Auto H functionality - Page 3 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 08-24-2019, 06:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 4.4/2013 650ix GC
Just another FYI in case it was overlooked. The gear shift lever can be pushed into N from D without having to press the safety button (just like the old BMW gear shift levers prior to the new "joy stick" versions. So don't fear that you're going to push the lever into reverse if you found yourself needing to disengage from the transmission. If you don't press the button, the gear shift will stop in N.

But to get back into D...you do need to press the safety button.

And also...to actually turn the ENGINE OFF (when you're in motion)...you have to move out of D and put the gear shift in NEUTRAL...then press the START/STOP button once to kill the engine...then press the STOP/START button again and the parking brake will come on. (I recommend waiting until your speed has slowed down (unless you're heading for a brick wall or cliff) because as mentioned above...I was only doing about 20 MPH and was already coasting from the 1st press...then when I did the 2nd press of the START button...the car bogged down to a stop real quick.
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 2013 F06 650ix Gran Coupe` (Black Sapphire) 1/13 mfg date
(SOLD)
97 740iL (Arctic Silver) <<~>> 99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=637911&d=1538398374&thumb=1&stc=1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2019, 10:47 PM
What was that?

Mein Auto: 05 M3, '13 TLC, '11X5 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by QSilver7 View Post
Just another FYI in case it was overlooked. The gear shift lever can be pushed into N from D without having to press the safety button (just like the old BMW gear shift levers prior to the new "joy stick" versions. So don't fear that you're going to push the lever into reverse if you found yourself needing to disengage from the transmission. If you don't press the button, the gear shift will stop in N.

But to get back into D...you do need to press the safety button.

And also...to actually turn the ENGINE OFF (when you're in motion)...you have to move out of D and put the gear shift in NEUTRAL...then press the START/STOP button once to kill the engine...then press the STOP/START button again and the parking brake will come on. (I recommend waiting until your speed has slowed down (unless you're heading for a brick wall or cliff) because as mentioned above...I was only doing about 20 MPH and was already coasting from the 1st press...then when I did the 2nd press of the START button...the car bogged down to a stop real quick.

You sir, are more brave than I am... I was expecting something bad to happen, so I acted with urgency

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-25-2019, 04:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW X5 3.0si
Quote:
Just another FYI in case it was overlooked. The gear shift lever can be pushed into N from D without having to press the safety button (just like the old BMW gear shift levers prior to the new "joy stick" versions. So don't fear that you're going to push the lever into reverse if you found yourself needing to disengage from the transmission. If you don't press the button, the gear shift will stop in N. But to get back into D...you do need to press the safety button
That's very correct

Quote:
This is really my concern; getting into Park P so quickly while still at some speed may not be so good for the transmission.

Last edited by Falkon; 08-25-2019 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-25-2019, 11:37 AM

Mein Auto: x5 35d e70 2011
From what I understand, the zf trans will not go into park until you are stopped.
Old 09-04-2019, 06:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 4.4/2013 650ix GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnitro View Post
From what I understand, the zf trans will not go into park until you are stopped.
Good point...I agree that it was braking action that brought the car to a stop...it didn't feel like the transmission was being jammed into PARK (which would probably damage the parking pawl {if these modern BMWs even have one}).

Braking, in this situation, is probably the same operation as the Auto-H and Parking brake activation (see info below). As long as the car is moving, the hydraulic brakes (DSC) is slowing momentum...then when the car stops, the electro-mechanical parking brake is applied (how this is done varies by build date):

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Parking Brake button and Auto Hold button Functions.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	863441  
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 2013 F06 650ix Gran Coupe` (Black Sapphire) 1/13 mfg date
(SOLD)
97 740iL (Arctic Silver) <<~>> 99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=637911&d=1538398374&thumb=1&stc=1
Old 09-04-2019, 06:10 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
I believe that the selection of Park will be refused until some low speed higher than zero stopped. I believe also that ZF still uses a 'pawl'.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search