X5 E70 CCC upgrade to 10.25" Android - Page 3 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 08-03-2017, 06:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW X5 3.0si
So, under the phone menu, does it really say "Dail" instead of "Dial"?

Also, any indication that the unit's firmware can be updated to fix or enhance things?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2017, 02:16 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 E70
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpoitras View Post
So, under the phone menu, does it really say "Dail" instead of "Dial"?

Also, any indication that the unit's firmware can be updated to fix or enhance things?
I used such a Chinese head unit for 3 years now without any upgrade!
Old 08-04-2017, 05:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW X5
Installed my unit last night. Installation was not too complicated.
My car already has the 8.8inch screen, Nav, backup camera, and bluetooth before install of the unit. Required a lot less work since I didn't have to run new lines.

Overall impressions:

Positive//
-I love the look of the physical tablet screen. Car looks like it leaped into 2017.
-The UI looks nice and is not laggy
-Old idrive fully accessible

Negative//
-My Sat radio is no longer functional
-SOS malfunction beeps at me when starting the car
-I-drive knob does not work well, unless in "old car"

I'm going to see if I can figure out workarounds for the negatives and also continue to explore the system. I got done at 10pm last night and went straight to bed. I used the screen for Nav this morning and it was pretty good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2017, 09:20 AM

Mein Auto: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5XTHEPROBLEMS View Post
My car already has the 8.8inch screen, Nav, backup camera, and bluetooth before install of the unit. Required a lot less work since I didn't have to run new lines.

Overall impressions:

Positive//
-I love the look of the physical tablet screen. Car looks like it leaped into 2017.

Negative//

I'm going to see if I can figure out workarounds for the negatives and also continue to explore the system. I got done at 10pm last night and went straight to bed. I used the screen for Nav this morning and it was pretty good.
When you get a chance can you post some pics? also did your car have the green wire?
Old 08-04-2017, 10:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35D
Quote:
SOS malfunction could be related to the optic fibre connection.

Old 08-04-2017, 03:30 PM

Mein Auto: X5D
so what if your car did not come with nav. does the android unit have it's own gps antenna?
Old 08-04-2017, 05:55 PM

Mein Auto: X5 e70 3.0i
Nice job!

I thought installation would be a bit complicated!

Quote:
Positive//

Negative//
Old 08-04-2017, 06:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5
Quote:

Overall impressions:

Positive//

Negative//

Do you have some installation pics or instructions?
I emailed the vendor numerous times to see if they can send/show me the instructions so I can see if I can tackle it myself.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:24 PM

Yeah, the SOS error is probably due to the fiber optic cables. You should've had instructions to move the fiber optic connector (2 green cables in one connector) from the original Quadlock connector to the new one. The new Quadlock connector is the one that should've been plugged into the back of the factory head unit, thus you would need to move the fiber optic cable with it.

I had to do the same thing when using Technic's wiring harness when I installed an aftermarket amp. Which brings up a good point, actually. Adding one new set of Quadlock connectors (they are big!) was a little difficult because there wasn't much room behind the factory HU. If I want to add this new unit I would need to find space for yet another set of Quadlocks!
Old 08-05-2017, 06:10 AM

So is there a difference in between the Avin and Yokotron units? They appear to be identical from what I can see except the Avin unit is $200 more... for reasons?
Old 08-05-2017, 07:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpoitras View Post
So is there a difference in between the Avin and Yokotron units? They appear to be identical from what I can see except the Avin unit is $200 more... for reasons?
Seems like the Avin unit can support the iDrive whereas the Yoko has difficulties. But the Avin unit current has a $200 discount if you use the coupon code bimmerfest.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ill_kuma View Post
Seems like the Avin unit can support the iDrive whereas the Yoko has difficulties. But the Avin unit current has a $200 discount if you use the coupon code bimmerfest.
I haven't heard of any known issues with the avin unit. The reason i decided to go with them was because price was this same this week, and the support you get from having someone in the states is way better than what you might get from a Hong Kong company. The actual parts seem to be the same just the support and perhaps software may be different.
Old 08-05-2017, 03:31 PM

Mein Auto: E70
I haven't seen any other users even on Google or youtube who installed this kind of radio in a ccc headunit. In cic, the idrive knob works ok based on youtube videos.

In my opinion, they are just the same headunit (avin and yokotron) both units have the fast & furious 5 movie clip. If avin can show a video of a radio installed in ccc that would answer all our question. If they can make it work then just some settings that need to be change on the screen. There is an option to select which car, I might try to explore other options available.

Here is a picture of the unit.

I created this few weeks ago, as I shared this in the fb group of e70.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35D
Question to OP and others who have installed it:
Does it show engine coolant temperature on the screen? or just outside ambient temperature?Thanks

Old 08-07-2017, 04:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW X5
Hey guys, sorry for the late reply. Since me and the OP are the two that have installed this so far, I can answer some of the questions.

Yokotron vs Avin difference? I don't think there is one-- just that the vendor is more accessible with the avin unit.

Engine Coolant temp shown? The dashboard screen shows outside temp only. Curiously, it is all in metric units , and I cannot figure a way to change it.

idrive support on Avin vs Yokotron? from my own research, I think this unit was initially designed for CIC and was adapted to work with CCC afterward. That is why there are some missing functions with the idrive knob. The workaround would be to install the CIC controller and code it to your system.

If your car did not come with nav. does the android unit have it's own gps antenna? Whether your car comes with nav or not, they supply their own gps antenna that connects directly to the new screen. My car has nav, but I still added the new antenna in order to get the nav working on the new screen.

Did my car have the green wire? Yes, and I believe my SOS malfunction and lack of Sat radio functionality is related to me not having snapped the wires in fully to the new harness.

Post pics of the install? I will. Unfortunately, in order to resolve my green wire issue, I will have to disassemble everything again. It actually is a very easy install, and should take under an hour to do-- I will post pics this time.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:33 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 E70
Quote:
Hey guys, sorry for the late reply. Since me and the OP are the two that have installed this so far, I can answer some of the questions.

Yokotron vs Avin difference? I don't think there is one-- just that the vendor is more accessible with the avin unit.

Engine Coolant temp shown? The dashboard screen shows outside temp only. Curiously, it is all in metric units , and I cannot figure a way to change it.

idrive support on Avin vs Yokotron? from my own research, I think this unit was initially designed for CIC and was adapted to work with CCC afterward. That is why there are some missing functions with the idrive knob. The workaround would be to install the CIC controller and code it to your system.

If your car did not come with nav. does the android unit have it's own gps antenna? Whether your car comes with nav or not, they supply their own gps antenna that connects directly to the new screen. My car has nav, but I still added the new antenna in order to get the nav working on the new screen.

Did my car have the green wire? Yes, and I believe my SOS malfunction and lack of Sat radio functionality is related to me not having snapped the wires in fully to the new harness.

Post pics of the install? I will. Unfortunately, in order to resolve my green wire issue, I will have to disassemble everything again. It actually is a very easy install, and should take under an hour to do-- I will post pics this time.
When you install it again, it would be very helpful if you make a video or photos of key steps. I have ordered and waiting to receive to install.

BTW, what are actually problems with the knob? Does it not work at all, or lag, or sticky, or what?

I'm also curious about the boot time. The CCC's boot time is almost instant when you disable the disclaimer!
Old 08-07-2017, 12:16 PM

My package got delivered!! Too bad I'm out of the country til tomorrow...can't wait to install it
Old 08-07-2017, 07:47 PM

who wants to low ball the ebay seller ?

maybe put a group buy together?
Old 08-07-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5Dinosaur View Post
who wants to low ball the ebay seller ?

maybe put a group buy together?
They're probably the same people for all we know...AVIN and Yokotron....
Old 08-08-2017, 10:36 AM

delete

Last edited by noelskii; 08-08-2017 at 10:49 AM. Reason: broken links
Old 08-08-2017, 11:46 AM

ok i'm just about to do the install for the avinusa unit, with optional backup camera. i'll post pics, let me know if you guys want any specific ones
Old 08-08-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rediahad View Post
ok i'm just about to do the install for the avinusa unit, with optional backup camera. i'll post pics, let me know if you guys want any specific ones
yea! step by step instructions if you want to be a HERO
Old 08-08-2017, 02:58 PM

ok just finished sort of, i took a bunch of pics and will do a step by step. for some reason my aux is not working so i can't get any sound out of it. i'm going to have to track down that issue
Old 08-08-2017, 03:16 PM

Mein Auto: X5
Not sure if it's one of the manufacturers. or the manufacturer, but the bottom right pic cracks me up - courtesy of AE:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HTB14ntHRVXXXXauXVXXq6xXFXXX6.jpg
Views:	798
Size:	290.7 KB
ID:	638825  

Last edited by smyles; 08-08-2017 at 03:18 PM.
Old 08-08-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rediahad View Post
ok just finished sort of, i took a bunch of pics and will do a step by step. for some reason my aux is not working so i can't get any sound out of it. i'm going to have to track down that issue
What car and radio do you have?

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
10.25" ccc e70 android radio

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search