At what point do you have to start monitoring your oil to top off? - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 09-12-2019, 03:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 14 535d Xdrive, 12 X5 35d
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBU View Post
I am (still) convinced that proper break-in of the motor has a direct impact on that motor's oil consumption later on in life. Please feel free to prove me wrong.
I agree 100%. I drive my cars hard all the time and like I stole them. I regularly get on the power and use it, like when getting on long highway on-ramps.

With a new car, I start doing this as soon as I am out of sight of the dealer's lot. I avoid using cruise control to avoid steady RPMs during the first 5k miles or so and regularly practice frequent and firm application of power. "Drive it like you stole it" applies. Oil consumption goes down sooner and power and mileage improvements as the engine "wakes up" come sooner than if the engine is "babied" and the car is never driven hard during those early miles. "Drive it gently during the first few thousand miles to allow the rings to seat" is old school. Regularly getting on the power and using it is HOW you seat the rings. You don't need to drive crazy but DO get on the power and practice frequent and firm application of power.

Do: Drive.
Don't: Worry.

Why DIESEL is better: (from wxmanCCM)
PM - https://sites.google.com/view/lmarzccm/home
Air Toxics - https://sites.google.com/view/loren-marz-ccm/home
Ozone Precursors - https://sites.google.com/view/lorenmarz-ccm/home
General - https://sites.google.com/view/emissions-general/home

Last edited by n1das; 09-12-2019 at 03:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2019, 05:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
The problem with driving it like you stole it during break-in is that the bearings and the crank shaft can get scored by miscellaneous chunks of crap floating around the oil supply. When a journal bearing is under light load, the shaft and bearings are close to concentric, and the clearance between the shaft and bearings are almost uniform around all 360 degrees. As the bearing is loaded up, from the car being driving like you stole it, the bearing and shaft become eccentric. The clearances on one side are small and the clearances on the other side are great. If a chunk of crap is larger than the minimum bearing clearance it encounters, you run the risk of scoring the bearings or shaft.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post
The problem with driving it like you stole it during break-in is that the bearings and the crank shaft can get scored by miscellaneous chunks of crap floating around the oil supply. When a journal bearing is under light load, the shaft and bearings are close to concentric, and the clearance between the shaft and bearings are almost uniform around all 360 degrees. As the bearing is loaded up, from the car being driving like you stole it, the bearing and shaft become eccentric. The clearances on one side are small and the clearances on the other side are great. If a chunk of crap is larger than the minimum bearing clearance it encounters, you run the risk of scoring the bearings or shaft.
+1

I totally oppose the theory that you have to drive like you stole it , a brand new vehicle.

All the moving parts have not yet been smoothed out and the tolerances are pretty uneven.

You have to give it time to get the parts smoothed out and the oil is full of metal shavings for the the first few thousand miles.

You have to drive it without vigorous acceleration or stop starts. Maybe go on a long cross country road trip on the Interstate as your first drive on a new vehicle, without going over 75 mph.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2019, 12:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary214 View Post
+1

I totally oppose the theory that you have to drive like you stole it , a brand new vehicle.

All the moving parts have not yet been smoothed out and the tolerances are pretty uneven.

You have to give it time to get the parts smoothed out and the oil is full of metal shavings for the the first few thousand miles.

You have to drive it without vigorous acceleration or stop starts. Maybe go on a long cross country road trip on the Interstate as your first drive on a new vehicle, without going over 75 mph.
You still want to vary the engine speed and load (torque). Every combination of engine speed and torque concentrates wear in a different position on bearings, rings, and cylinder walls. When an engine is run in on an automated test stands, that's how they do it.

My Chevy Cobalt's owners manual says not to do engine compression braking for the first 1000 miles.

I broke my first BMW in on the Blue Ridge Parkway after picking it up in Spartanburg. The second one, while driving the hinterlands of South Carolina, Georgia, and Floriduh back home for the first 500 miles. BMW's #3 and #4 got mostly in town driving.

My mother had a 1985 Mercury Grand Marquis, a gussied up Ford Crown Victoria. I started using Mobil 1 in it after about 1000 miles. That was too early. The engine used a quart of oil about every 2300 miles. Somewhere just past 12k miles, 2300 miles after adding a quart of oil, I checked the oil level. The car was parked around the corner from where she lived, where the street was flat and suitable for checking the oil. I'd brought a quart of Mobil 1 with me to add. But, the oil level was about 1/5 the way above MIN on the dipstick. So, it took the bottle of Mobil 1 back in the house. From then on, it took 2800 miles to burn a quart. Using Mobil 1, it'd taken about 10k miles for the rings to seat in that engine.

I was in college, and worked part-time in a bank's courier office at the time my mother got that Mercury. They had about 15 Fords, mostly V6's, but a few V8's in vans. They all burned about a quart of conventional oil every 2k miles.

My mother gave me her Mercury when it had about 70k miles on it. As an experiment, I put a quart of Slick 50 in it. After than, the oil consumption went down to a quart about every 3500 miles, and stayed there until I sold the car at 100k miles. I also noticed a slight increase in fuel economy. I'd regularly hit 20 MPG in the car, something that I never did in suburban driving before the Slick 50.

Slick 50's changed ownership, and the current makers were barred by the federal government about making fuel economy improvement claims. There are also concerns about it clogging oil filters.

Many (most?... all?) modern engines are manufactured using "boring plates." They're bolted onto the engine block where the cylinder heads go, and are torqued down before the cylinder walls are machined. This is an old hot-rodder's trick. It distorts the engine block as it will be distorted when the cylinder heads are installed. By pre-distorting the block, it makes the cylinders more round under distortion. This makes for a more precise cylinder, and that results in less oil consumption and better compression.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search