BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

New VANOS

425 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  dmaisenh 
#1 ·
Well, not new new but rebuilt. I acquired another unit from a same year car and rebuilt it with all new seals and a serious cleaning.
The swap was simple with the biggest PITA being removal of the fan and shroud. Why couldn't BMW have used a two piece shroud?
Only have about 100 or miles on it so far but I can definitely feel more low end power. Will wait for a couple of tanks of gas before making any pronouncements about improvements in mileage.
I am still not happy with the idle. Maybe time will smooth it out more. It is not rough but I just feel it should be smoother.
I am still planning on replacing the fuel filter and cleaning the ICV. I have a spare that I will clean and then just do a swap. When you only have one car it is nice to have spares to rebuild or whatever and then the car only has to be done for a swap.
I have a spare throttle body as well. Since the 1999 528i has the M52b28TU with the odd ball throttle with a throttle cable but with a throttle motor for the cruise control.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.