How To Easily Find Information on Your E39 Topic Before Posting a New Thread - Page 4 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 06-04-2015, 09:34 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
This conversation today shows that not all users are aware that the most efficient use of the bestlinks pretty much requires the user understand how to search within a thread.

To remind users, there are two easy ways to search within a thread, both of which are described in post #6 above.
1. Use the forum-provided "Search this thread" button.
2. Use the operating system keyboard shortcut for the FIND & NEXT feature (e.g., Control-F and F3 on Windows & Linux, Command-F on Mac, "/" and F3 in Firefox)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblahh View Post
I just tried to find the thread on brake warping as I have a set of rotors I could not get re-bedded in, I got mad and gave up
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
If you can type /warp f3, then you'll find, in about 2 seconds, all that you could ever want to know about brake warp.

For example, I just typed /warp f3 in the bestlinks, and this came up instantly...
- How do you measure physically deformed rotor distortion often incorrectly termed "warp" (1) & the truth about so-called rotor "warp" (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblahh View Post
well it don't work, all I get is this line, which are all links to external sites

- Brake warp, shudder, and rebedding ... (including violent low-speed shuddering)

this is why I do not use the bestlinks post
Personally, I use the operating system FIND/NEXT shortcut method.
However, if the user has the control panel options set to less than the maximum, the bestlinks is so long that they will miss items in that operating system FIND/NEXT search.
What I do, and what I recommend others do, is set the Bimmerfest account control panel option to view 80 posts per page.
That way, the operating system FIND/NEXT feature will search, in a split second, the entire bestlinks, in one fell swoop.

NOTE: A side issue is that the bestlinks is getting close to 80 posts long (however, there are at least a half dozen off-topic wholly-unrelated garbage posts which can be moved by a moderator).

Here is a graphic I just made which shows the 3 steps to set your control panel options to the maximum number of posts per page.

EDIT: Setting the number of posts per view to the maximum also drastically reduces the number of pages any particular canonical thread has (which is a good thing); I'm sure it also increases the time to load a page (but, with today's modern Internet speeds, I'm not sure how much of a disadvantage that is).

Last edited by bluebee; 06-04-2015 at 09:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2015, 08:31 AM

One by one, I'm replacing the older bestlinks reference which go offsite, to newer ones which are on this site, and hence, updateable.
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > E39 540i A/C compressor replacement
Quote:
I love this thread, and was just about to cross reference it to whatever the canonical air conditioner replacement DIY thread was, when, to my shock and horror, I realized all the air-compressor replacement diys in the bestlinks refer to off-site threads, which can't be updated...
- BMW E39 V8 air conditioner compressor replacement DIY (1)

So, without further ado, I will ADD a new cross reference, pointing to this thread, so that, in the future, we can both point others here, and update as needed with new and cross referenced information.

See also:
- BMW E39 V8 air conditioner compressor replacement DIY (1) & a Pelican a/c compressor rebuild (1) & an ac hose rebuilding service (1) & what air conditioner refrigerant & PAG oil to use (1) & how to refill your A/C system (1) (2) (3) (4) & what to use to rid yourself of the BMW gym sock stink (1) & how to diagnose A / C compressor knocking sounds (1)
Old 06-10-2015, 10:16 PM

Sigh. Even with this thread, which, pretty much, is about as much as one can spoon feed another, there are still folks with almost 500 posts who don't understand what I mean when I type /keyword f3 in the bestlinks...
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Newbie disaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Follygator View Post
I've got programming issues in two of the ews modules. I don't understand the "/"keyword" thing for searching, in best of. I never get any results. Something I need to know?
Quote:
Originally Posted by computiNATEor View Post
+1. Neither do I. Can you explain step by step what you mean BB? Thanks!
What more can we do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2015, 11:06 AM

The question came up today on how I decide to cross reference a new thread to an existing canonical thread - so - I put my explanation of the admittedly flawed system here, for cross reference...
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > What can I have done at the alignment shop to reduce my drastic E39 inside tire wear?
Quote:
No system is perfect, and the bestlilnks/canonical cross-reference system isn't perfect.

It's a compromise of my time versus thread utility.

Truth be told, I use an informally fuzzy algorithm to cross reference depending on whether the topic is:
a) Discussed commonly & has a good answer already, or,
b) Discussed commonly but it does not yet have a good answer, or,
c) Not commonly discussed (usually doesn't have a good answer either).
d) Almost any thread from cn90, QSilver7, JimLev, 540iman, etc.

Given that, here's my fuzzy algorithm for deciding what to comment.

COMMON TOPIC WITH REALLY GOOD ANSWER ALREADY:
If the topic is discussed commonly but already has a great answer (e.g., ABS trifecta, FSU, wiper blade refills, violent vibration upon braking, vapor barriers, DISA valve repair, seat twist repair, window regulators, rear tailllight melting, trunk loom fraying, etc.), I almost never cross reference every post I see unless that xref has some really good and new information.

COMMON TOPIC WITH LOUSY ANSWER SO FAR:
If the topic is common, but the answer is still up in the air (e.g., VANOS seals, causes of tire wear, causes of vibration, misfire diagnosis, causes of oil leaks, timersert repairs, causes of any particular DTC, etc.), I sometimes cross reference, usually if the thread starts developing in a good direction, but, I don't have infinite time so, I sometimes assume it will develop.

UNCOMMONLY DISCUSSED:
If the topic is relatively rare (e.g., recently there were Bosch spark plug blowing out issues, missing battery positive cable covers, catalytic converter fails, v8 vs i6 oil cap part numbers, japanese BMW cluster codes, etc.), I ALWAYS cross reference, because we need all the information we can get - and we'll never find these in a search when we need them.

In that latter two cases, I don't have the time (nor documentation system) nor expertise to watch the thread for days or even weeks or months to see what develops. So, I pop in a cross reference, and, move on to the next thread, hoping (assuming) the cross reference will develop.

Of course, almost any thread started by Fudman, QSilver7, cn90, JimLev, etc., will develop nicely, so, I almost always cross reference them (and often make them the canonical thread to cross reference to).

In summary, it's an imperfect system, and it depends on everyone making the threads useful, over time.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:53 AM

In case someone wonders why I don't maintain the wiki, my answer is here today...
> E46 (1999 - 2006) > Valve Cover Gasket Replacement
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Davis View Post
Bluebee, that thread is incredibly helpful; I didn't know it existed.

Would you consider summarizing what's in there and adding it as a section to the Wiki? I don't feel qualified to do it, or I'd do it myself.
I decided long ago I put too much effort already into maintaining the bestlinks (which is more than a bunch of links as it also means I maintain the hundreds of canonical threads it points to).

So, I let others maintain the wiki!
It's a strategic decision to maintain my sanity.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:39 AM

A newbie opened a nice first introductory post, which listed the expected repairs, and, to help out, we each provided hints, which I provide below, by way of example, how even a newbie can find how to fix a plethora of problems, starting on someone else's shoulders...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostmaster View Post
Just purchased my first BMW as a sort of project. 1997 528i 5speed, JetBlack/black 150k

She's a basket case of lots of small issues:
1. needs clutch
2. needs brakes
3. needs shocks/struts
4. needs tires (has stock 15's- maybe a wheel tire upgrade?) Mismatched tires - 2 off brand tires- new, 1 continental - new, 1 -bad tire with hole, 1 full sized spare dryrotted
5. needs new driver door handle
6. needs driver cabin weatherstrip
7. ABS trifecta
8. Only have 1 remote key (would like an extra and maybe a valet- just in case)
9. passenger window regulator?
10. both mirrors with brown surround
11. headlights faded
12. etc....

Those are just a few of the issues....
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdl View Post
...I'd recommend starting with a quick browse through the 3 sticky threads at the top of the forum page. It will give you an idea of the information and DIYs available. It should help you decide on the priority items to tackle first....
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn90 View Post
Just read forums, get a paper and pencil and make notes, bookmarks etc.

Then prioritize based on:
- Safety (i.e. fix brake problem first), For example, I'd overhaul the entire brake system: 6 hoses and all caliper seals/boots, info in forum I posted a while back.
- Budget
- Your free time
Quote:
Let's trade.
I'll give you some links, and, when you repair that item, you post your results to the affected thread, so that others benefit from all that you do.
Quote:
1. needs clutch
Typing /clutch shift-f3 in the bestlinks nets this:
- DIY for changing the I6 manual transmission clutch (1) or the V8 clutch (1) or a BMW M5 clutch DIY (1) & how long does the OEM LUK BMW dual-mass flywheel last (1) & a CDV delete by removing or modifying the manual transmission clutch delay valve (1) (2) (3) (4) & brake & clutch hydraulic fluid (1)
Quote:
2. needs brakes
Typing /brakes shift-f3 in the bestlinks nets this:
- What brake pads are most often recommended (1) & what brake rotors are most often recommended (1)
Quote:
3. needs shocks/struts
Typing /shocks nets this:
- Most popular E39 shocks/struts (1) (2) (3) & an E39 suspension survey (1)
Quote:
4. needs tires
Typing /tires shift-f3 in the bestlinks nets this:
- How to logically choose tires by the numbers (1) (2) or by recommendations (1) & where to buy your tires in the USA (0) ...
Quote:
5. needs new driver door handle
Typing /door handle nets this:
- How to replace the exterior door handle in the BMW E39 (1) & where to find metal interior door handle levers for broken E39 chromed plastic interior door handles (1)
Quote:
6. needs driver cabin weatherstrip
Typing /weatherstrip nets this:
- Replacing the door weatherstripping (1)
Quote:
7. ABS trifecta
Typing /trifecta nets this:
- How to run the canonical quick test of the ABS BRAKE DSC/ASC trifecta or bifecta (1)
Quote:
8. Only have 1 remote key
Typing /key nets this:
- What to do if you lost your only diamond key (1)
Quote:
9. passenger window regulator?
Typing /regulator nets this:
- One user's effort to diagnose, rebuild, and replace a BMW E39 front driver side door window regulator (1) and how to remove a BMW E39 front passenger side door window regulator (1)
Quote:
10. both mirrors with brown surround
Typing /mirror nets this:
- What is that brown discoloration color of my heated side view mirrors (1)
Quote:
11. headlights faded
Typing /headlights nets this:
- Headlight plastic polishing & refinishing DIY (1) & replacing just the headlight lens (1)
Quote:
12. etc....
Typing /etc nets this... (jk)
----- repairs -----
Behr cooling system leaking
Plastic DISA valve breaking & destroying the engine
Cluster pixel tape lifting
MID pixel tape lifting
Hella PBT headlight adjusters breaking
Power steering cap & hose leaking
Trunk wiring loom fraying
CCV clogging
Bosch ABS control module frying
Cupholders breaking
I6 VANOS seals deteriorating
V8 valley pan gaskets leaking
GKR/BMW/Valeo FSU/FSR dying
Thrust arm bushings leaking
Ambient temperature sensor breaking
Window regulators breaking
Vapor barrier adhesive leaking
Jack pads falling off
Windshield cover molding crumbling
Driver's seat control switch breaking
Rear center brakelight socket melting
Seat cables fall out causing seat twist
Windshield washer tanks & pumps leaking
BMW roundel paint chipping
Vent trim corner cracking & wood trim varnish cracking
----- maintenance -----
150K mile maintenance checklist & parts to periodically clean
Check and replace all fluids
Common engine misfires diagnosed & cold start misfires identified
The most recommended brake pads and rotors purchased & installed
Battery tested & the most often recommended battery & installation
Spark plugs bought & replaced
Check & align & mount and balance wheels
O-rings & gaskets & bulbs & vacuum hoses & fuses & wiper blade inserts & belts & bearings & oil filters & cabin air filters & engine air filters to stock
----- tools -----
Common tools needed for the E39 & an obdii DTC scanner & an SRS reset tool & accurate measurement tools & specialty cooling system tools
The point, for newbies, is that that, in most cases, typing a single word is sufficient to find what you need, and, that single word is typically the first word you'd use, yourself, to describe the issue.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:04 PM

Mein Auto:
How
Old 07-01-2015, 07:05 PM

Mein Auto:
I need help finding or installing an ambient sensor 98 528i
Old 07-30-2015, 06:45 PM

Mein Auto:
owner of a 2000 steptronic 540i, car revs up and down while normal driving, have no idea what is wrong with it. Please help,
Old 10-22-2015, 08:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E60:M5 530xi E39:540 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by roro214 View Post
I need help finding or installing an ambient sensor 98 528i
It's underneath the front bumper on the RHS near the wheel well. If you look underneath you'll see a narrow plastic device ending in a point on one end and with wires on the other going up into the space behind the bumper. It looks like #1 in this diagram
Old 11-07-2015, 05:24 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
A newbie opened a nice first introductory post, which listed the expected repairs, and, to help out, we each provided hints, which I provide below, by way of example, how even a newbie can find how to fix a plethora of problems, starting on someone else's shoulders...

The point, for newbies, is that that, in most cases, typing a single word is sufficient to find what you need, and, that single word is typically the first word you'd use, yourself, to describe the issue.
Hi where can I find post or threads re: A/C (air conditioning)problems?

Last edited by shirlsanz7; 11-07-2015 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 540I
Tensioner

What part number would I use to get the longer tensioner for my 2003 540I.
Old 04-01-2016, 12:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 540 M Sport
excellent advice. As a new member, it makes total sense. Thanks for sharing
Old 09-13-2016, 09:17 AM

Mein Auto: 528i
Looking for a fuse box for 2000 528i bmw

8365530 is the last numberw of the code if anyone can help me
Old 03-07-2017, 05:58 PM

Mein Auto: 530i
Front license plate gone
I went out to my car the other day and my front license plate was gone. So I got another from DMV today but not sure how it goes on. I took a picture. Is something missing, other than the license plate?Apprecate any help. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 03-08-2017, 06:55 AM

Mein Auto: '99 528iTA Sport
Yes, there is a trim strip that goes there. Part number 4 in the diagram below. This piece will need to be painted to match on your car.
Also, for future reference, do not post in this thread with a new topic. To start a new topic, click "new thread" at the top left of the E39 page.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	diagram.PNG
Views:	246
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	591035  

2000 Volvo V70R B5244T2- Manual swapped, daily
1992 Mazda Miata 1.8 swapped
1993 Volvo 940 B230F/AW71L
Old 03-24-2017, 06:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 530D E39
Thanks lost my strip on the bumper aswell during a tow in recently. Took 2 weeks to find under floor fuel pump was the fault. Error description on dash fuel inject system faulty. On diagnostic all kinds of faults. Pressure regulating valve. pressure sensor.low pre supply fuel pressure . And some others on exhause and glo plugs . 350 miles later im stuck today again . Ingnition goes on , dash and fan but no response from starter. Tried run start the 530D nothing,just dead. Tried bridging starter swings but wont start. A anyone ba e an idea what's happening here. Its like a gost . It started wel in the morning and drove well to work. After work no response and no warning indications or warning lights. Just dead no response.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 03-29-2017, 08:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 530i E39
How To Easily Find Information on Your E39 Topic Before Posting a New Thread

I have a trans fail safe prog Display on my dash I've been told to replace the transmission control module does anyone know where it is located
It is a 2003 530 I

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

Last edited by bigjon2828; 03-29-2017 at 08:26 AM.
Old 06-02-2017, 02:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 530I
I am a new owner of my first BMW 2002 530i.. The car is very well maintained over all and i am in love with it.. However i have a few problems and my mechanic has told me after reading rrouble codes that the first and formost problem that couldve cuseing false warnings is the main relay (DMI) that controls powering main ECU. Where is this relay located. Im told by BMW dealer that it shy blue and löcated in engine compartment passenger side. I dont see a sky blue relay there..

Sent from my LGMP260 using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 06-02-2017, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman48713 View Post
I am a new owner of my first BMW 2002 530i.. The car is very well maintained over all and i am in love with it.. However i have a few problems and my mechanic has told me after reading rrouble codes that the first and formost problem that couldve cuseing false warnings is the main relay (DMI) that controls powering main ECU. Where is this relay located. Im told by BMW dealer that it shy blue and löcated in engine compartment passenger side. I dont see a sky blue relay there..

The fuse box on the passenger side is underneath the cabin air filter housing, and under a plastic cover. Just remove the box and it should be under there.

Old 06-02-2017, 06:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 530I
I have located the box there is three relays none match discription i was given by bmw and my mistake its DME relay

Old 06-28-2017, 08:47 AM

Mein Auto: pa
530i transmission draggs

Sent from my SM-G935P using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 09-22-2017, 05:24 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E39 530 Tourer
I have been trying to get some help with self levelling system, but i don't think I'm using the search tool correctly. Any thoughts?
Old 09-22-2017, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schiehallion295 View Post
I have been trying to get some help with self levelling system, but i don't think I'm using the search tool correctly. Any thoughts?
Use the search bar at the top right corner of this website. Otherwise, please start a new thread about your issue in the E39 forum. This isn't a discussion thread.

Old 03-06-2018, 06:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 525i
can't figure out the search feature

Well, I did just make a post asking for help after I saw this thread which suggested that we first do a search because it is likely that my topic has already come up and many great answers have already been given. I used the "Advanced Search" feature. Nothing worked. I even used the words "coolant adventures" in my search line because I'd just seen a thread title with those two words in it and still didn't find any matches. I'd love to just find where my topic (my ac/heater constantly blows and my controls do not change it at all. It also runs even after I turn my car off) is and see what all of the advice is that has already been given. Any help with this search feature would be great.

Thanks.

Greg

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)
Today's Posts Search