2012 35I Code 28A0 throttle angle/intake pressure - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 05-03-2017, 07:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35I
2012 35I Code 28A0 throttle angle/intake pressure

X5 35i with 101K mileage, just got car and have no service history.
Very rough idle--Code 28A0 Throttle valve opening angle-intake pipe absolute pressure, comparision pressure too high.

Just replaced a filthy air filter-looks like original, cleaned charge pipe an throttle body. I did reconnect vacuum to back of TB with (new gasket) and electrical connector.

I understand what the computer is trying to compare, just not sure what else to check??

I checked all vacuum lines, pressure switchs, and MAF sensors. Nothing looks out of place. The Plugs and coil look original, which i will replace.

I also found a two pin connector directly below Throttle Body that isn't connected to anything? 2-BMW mechanic's at local dealership said it just an extra wire?? Pic attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012 Drivers side Electrical connector.jpg
Views:	5356
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	596171  

Last edited by Jon Beck; 05-03-2017 at 09:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2017, 11:30 AM

Mein Auto: 11 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Beck View Post
X5 35i with 101K mileage, just got car and have no service history.
Very rough idle--Code 28A0 Throttle valve opening angle-intake pipe absolute pressure, comparision pressure too high.

Just replaced a filthy air filter-looks like original, cleaned charge pipe an throttle body. I did reconnect vacuum to back of TB with (new gasket) and electrical connector.

I understand what the computer is trying to compare, just not sure what else to check??

I checked all vacuum lines, pressure switchs, and MAF sensors. Nothing looks out of place. The Plugs and coil look original, which i will replace.

I also found a two pin connector directly below Throttle Body that isn't connected to anything? 2-BMW mechanic's at local dealership said it just an extra wire?? Pic attached

Did you ever solve this? Same boat as you...
Old 07-11-2017, 10:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35I
Code 28AO

Hi,
Yes we finally figured it out after taking the car to 2 bmw specialty shops and finally a bmw dealer. BMW finally fiugred out the problem after we tested every engine sensor, fuel system, etc. They had to open a special case file with BMW corporate to finally get to the root of the problem.
The Camshaft Bearing caps were actually starting to fail !! The sides of the caps were actually expanding on the sides and starting to distort, which would result in complete engine failure in time. We think that the X5 had a lack of oil changes between 40-80K miles, which can cause the oil viscosity to thin out causing the premature wear of each bearing cap. We removed two intake camshaft caps and exaimed them closely to see the wear and expansion on the sides. Not sure how bmw figured this out but they were correct in the diagnosis. One of the specialty repair shops we went to also told us the motor was going to detonate and was going to fail completely. I guess they have seen this before.
After getting quotes of $12- $15 K to replace a head or used motor we just traded the car in at a different dealer.
If you have checked all of main culprets like the, throttle body, MAP sensors, air pressure sensors, fuel, etc., I would recommend you get rid of it quickly or pull the valve cover and look at the camshaft parts. I understand the code it was throwing and the difference between air pressure readings, just never really understood how rod caps can cause this???

Hope this helps, sorry for any bad news but thats what happed to us.

Last edited by Jon Beck; 07-11-2017 at 10:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2017, 08:18 AM

Mein Auto: 11 335
Quote:
Hi,
Yes we finally figured it out after taking the car to 2 bmw specialty shops and finally a bmw dealer. BMW finally fiugred out the problem after we tested every engine sensor, fuel system, etc. They had to open a special case file with BMW corporate to finally get to the root of the problem.
The Camshaft Bearing caps were actually starting to fail !! The sides of the caps were actually expanding on the sides and starting to distort, which would result in complete engine failure in time. We think that the X5 had a lack of oil changes between 40-80K miles, which can cause the oil viscosity to thin out causing the premature wear of each bearing cap. We removed two intake camshaft caps and exaimed them closely to see the wear and expansion on the sides. Not sure how bmw figured this out but they were correct in the diagnosis. One of the specialty repair shops we went to also told us the motor was going to detonate and was going to fail completely. I guess they have seen this before.
After getting quotes of $12- $15 K to replace a head or used motor we just traded the car in at a different dealer.
If you have checked all of main culprets like the, throttle body, MAP sensors, air pressure sensors, fuel, etc., I would recommend you get rid of it quickly or pull the valve cover and look at the camshaft parts. I understand the code it was throwing and the difference between air pressure readings, just never really understood how rod caps can cause this???

Hope this helps, sorry for any bad news but thats what happed to us.

Sweet baby jesus that sounds awful.

Well, thanks for the response. Iím hoping that the code can be reset via adaption and that this isn't indicative of a dying cam.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 4 BMWs, 1 Mini, 1 Vespa
Oh boy, that is awful. Sad that cars get abused and receive no maintenance , then get dumped onto the next guy.

Old 07-12-2017, 11:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50i
2012 35I Code 28A0 throttle angle/intake pressure

Deleted
Old 12-27-2017, 05:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35i Premium
What was up with yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nynyny View Post
Did you ever solve this? Same boat as you...

Same code but haven't started down the road of troubleshooting. I have 86k miles.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:31 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5
How much did they give you for your car? I am in the same position with my 2011 X5 with 85K miles.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35i Premium
Symptoms

Hey guys, I think I posted my previous question about how you resolved this issue on the wrong thread. I see you resolved the issue by selling the car.

I am curious when you say your engine was "going to detonate" do you mean it was going to start to experience detonation? Or it was literally going to explode lol? It seems like there are a handful of things you could do to cope with or fix detonation without replacing the entire engine.

It seems like in OP's case the 28A0 code could have been related or unrelated to the underlying damage to the camshaft bearings. Someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong. I am not a master tech but I am assuming camshaft bearing issues could cause timing issues which in turn could cause detonation. Or is OP suggestion camshaft bearings were going to fail and wind up with exploded bearing metal inside of the engine causing total failure? If this was the case, why not just replace the camshafts?

Thanks!
Old 04-14-2018, 10:51 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
we just traded the car in at a different dealer. .
I would have asked if Id seen this...

How about posting the VIN for your trade in??

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Old 01-19-2019, 09:32 AM

Mein Auto: BMW f10 2012 535iX
100% right direction in this video, if it wont help replace whole valve cover, my dealer missed it twice
Old 10-18-2019, 07:41 PM

Mein Auto:
2013 BMW X5 335i I replace both Vanos intake and exhaust run smooth but Iím getting code 28A0 but runs good no problems I even change oil and filter does this mean my cam bearing are bad or could it be my POV Val runs quietly smooth
Old 10-18-2019, 07:49 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttomsauto471952 View Post
2013 BMW X5 335i I replace both Vanos intake and exhaust run smooth but Iím getting code 28A0 but runs good no problems I even change oil and filter does this mean my cam bearing are bad or could it be my POV Val runs quietly smooth
My car also had the same code and was running "normal". My indy did a through cleaning of the vacuum accumulator/lines when he had the valve cover off because I thought I had a leak but didn't. Code is now gone and the car idles/pulls smoother.
Old 10-20-2019, 06:56 PM

Mein Auto:
Hi there I understand you traded in your Bmw but that really didn't mean it was th cam bearing you should have foun out by getting more opinions some guys on internet say different
Old 12-17-2019, 05:52 PM

Mein Auto: lititz pa
Did you ever figure out where that plug goes? I have my intake off to replace the starter and can't figure out where that same plug goes!
Old 12-19-2019, 06:22 AM

Mein Auto: X5 E70 LCI
I have the same code 28A0 on my 2011 35i LCI for few years now. Never find the root cause. Engine runs smooth & no issue on idling!

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search