BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Valve cover gasket replacement

7K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Mrathell 
#1 ·
I have a 2009 X6 with the 6cyl N54 engine. This engine seems to have a couple of noses that stick out from the right side which get attached to the air cleaner box over the engine so a bit different from the older coupes with the n54. I had a very tough time removing the valve cover from the engine. I ended up chipping a piece off the edge and ordered a new one. I was only able to remove the first 3 injectors (the others were too tight to pull out). It seemed like the plastic hose on the right side of the engine where the ventilation hose is attached was in the way. Does anyone know the proper method of removing it? Any tips I need to know once I try to put it back on? Much appreciated!

#2 ·
Yup the valve cover is plastic so take your time removing it.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=FG43-USA-02-2009-E71-BMW-X6_35iX&diagId=11_3973

I assume you are talking about vent-pipe #9, No?
It needs special tool to pinch the end, I'd suggest just crack it open and replace it, in case it has sludge build-up anyway. Not that expensive. I tried carefully removing it but always crack it anyway.

BTW, I didn't have to remove injectors on when I did my 535i (could be different N54 engine but doubt it ), just the fuel rail. Not sure you can reuse the injectors, I thought it has expanding rubber seal.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. #9 is attached to another hard plastic hose which connect to the air cleaner assembly. That seems to get in the way of the removal of the valve cover.

So now that I have 3 injectors out, I can't just put them back in place? Do you know how to put the rubber seal on?

#6 · (Edited)
The air pipe connects to the turbocharger with a twist-lock connector built in to the turbo. Give it a twist, maybe 60 degrees, before you try to remove that air pipe or it will break. THE tis indicates it is CLOCKWISE to UNLOCK. I don't know what the best way to access it will be since it is against the firewall. I had to climb on top of the engine, literally left knee next to the radiator and right hand on the left rear crossbrace so that I could reach back there to fiddle with it. I don't know if it is accessible with the pipe in place. Here is a picture of the turbo: https://static.schmiedmann.dk/ProductPictures/image_331786_big.jpg

Remove vacuum unit (1) at exhaust turbocharger for cylinders 4-6.Important!
Unlock air duct (2) in clockwise direction.

First remove air duct (2) at exhaust turbocharger to the rear.

Thread out air duct and remove.

Installation note:
Make sure sealing ring (1) is correctly seated in exhaust turbocharger (2).

To help future searches: E70 E71 N54 charge air pipe turbocharger BMW X5 BMW X6

#7 ·
I made a series of Youtube videos on how to replace it. There are 18 videos (Part 1 - part 18) due to it was easier and quicker to upload smaller segments rather than one large file to Youtube.

Ultimately you need to remove the # 5 & #6 fuel injectors to be able to remove the valve cover due to the plastic turbo pipe by the rear passenger side fender preventing you from removing the valve cover. I found this to be easier than trying to remove that pipe.

Here is part 1 of the video series:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.