Genuine parts site?? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 12-03-2019, 10:45 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto:
Genuine parts site??

So I found this website and ordered a power steering hose. Dealer price is $400.00.
I paid $170.00 with taxes. I called them to double check and they said it's a genuine BMW part.
How is this possible?
I've never heard of this company/website but they have stellar reviews.
Thought I'd share for anyone in Canada!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191203-104359_Chrome_1575395103786.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	268.4 KB
ID:	874239  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2019, 11:10 AM
Certified humanoid

Mein Auto: 2003 530i E39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwe39528i View Post
So I found this website and ordered a power steering hose. Dealer price is $400.00.
I paid $170.00 with taxes. I called them to double check and they said it's a genuine BMW part.
How is this possible?
Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. The only thing I've bought at the dealer was coolant when I was in a pinch. Their prices are offensive, 2-3x what I'll find at FCPEuro and EEuroparts...
Old 12-03-2019, 11:43 AM

Mein Auto:
But most stuff at fceuro is branded, such as bosch, lemforder, mann, mahle, reinz etc.
They are not exactly genuine bmw parts.
In this case I'm thinking it's exactly the same as from the dealer.
Which is weird. I wonder where they source their parts if it's branded "genuine bmw"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2019, 11:50 AM

Mein Auto: 530i 2003
Quote:
How is this possible?
The image doesn't come up for me so can't see what site you're comparing.

Overall though quite believable. Canadian vs US pricing is all over the map - even for identical brand parts, BMW or aftermarket. Most times Canadian prices are multiples of US internet sites. But not always - I have had instances where Canadian prices were lower than US after forex conversion. You have to check each part. Further always check Canadian pricing for BMW brand items on this site
https://shop.bmw.ca/BMW__530i.html
My local dealer has quoted prices higher than found in this link, but have always agreed to match price.

Also, if you're within convenient driving distance of the border, you can save a lot by having deliveries make to an accommodation address at the border for pick-up. This saves cross border courier fees which can be punishing. I use kinek.com, Others are easily found by a google search.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:05 PM

Mein Auto:
Hmm some kind of a glitch with the picture

I've just never seen a genuine bmw part at less than half price of the dealer. That's what surprised me the most. Especially for Canada.
Like for example I've never seen a genuine dealer parts at rockauto.

I'm jealous of US websites and free shipping at fcpeuro, ecstunning etc...
The best we have in Canada is rockauto. Unfortunately rockauto doesn't feature a lot of quality parts for BMW.

All the other canadian websites sell complete junk, low end brands.

For example this website, quite popular in Canada, has Rein pressure hose for $217. More than double of Rockauto!

I try to buy smaller parts at a dealer, it's a 2 hour drive back and forth. Pretty brutal ***x1f642;
Closest border is Montana, around 4-5 hour drive one way***x1f648;

That's why I kinda stumbled on this Canadian website and wanted to share/see if anyone else ordered from them. They have so many great reviews and I've never heard of them.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:58 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528iT
Quote:
But most stuff at fceuro is branded, such as bosch, lemforder, mann, mahle, reinz etc.
They are not exactly genuine bmw parts.
In this case I'm thinking it's exactly the same as from the dealer.
Which is weird. I wonder where they source their parts if it's branded "genuine bmw"
In my dealings with FCP (quite a few, in fact) most part searches will return one or more branded parts (including the OEM supplier) AND the BMW branded part. The BMW part is generally significantly more expensive, yet still cheaper than my local dealership.

If you know the OEM supplier, you can get great prices on the exact same part as what you'd get at a dealership. It's not uncommon for those parts to have the BMW logo removed.
Old 12-03-2019, 02:45 PM

Mein Auto:
I think there's a sticky somewhere that lists brand manufacturers for different genuine parts. I don't know how current and updated it is.

Another question/concern I have is whether BMW parts suppliers make parts in China or not.

There's a bunch of parts that I couldn't find not made in China.

For example, Mahle oil pan gasket was made in China. Felpro also made in China. The one I bought directly from BMW was made in Poland. So who makes oil pan gaskets for BMW? What company? We don't know.
Then for engine mounts, Cortego is made in China now.
Lots of people said that BMW engine mounts are now made by febi bilstein. After buying those, it said they're made in China as well.
For transmission mount I could only find Reinz on rockauto. Made in China.

These are just some parts off the top of my head.

Of course it would be nice to know the OEM for every part. I'll try to find that sticky.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)
Today's Posts Search