Is This Forum Dead? - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 11-29-2019, 09:20 PM
shakes's Avatar
shakes shakes is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 223
Mein Auto: 2013 335xi
[QUOTE=pharding. When my lease is up on my current US Delivery 2017 BMW 540ix, I will likely go to another German brand. I just don't feely jay connection to BMW like I used to.[/QUOTE]

I hate to admit the same- my wife and I just bought an Audi and when my lease is up in April I am going to look around at other options to replace my bimmer. My current lease is my 9th BMW but i definitely donít feel the connection to the brand that I used to during my ED days.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #27  
Old 11-30-2019, 03:53 PM
AggieKnight's Avatar
AggieKnight AggieKnight is offline
Can has cheezburger
Location: East Bay, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,063
Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharding View Post
When my lease is up on my current US Delivery 2017 BMW 540ix, I will likely go to another German brand. I just don't feely jay connection to BMW like I used to.
I'm kinda in the same boat, though I do love this forum. A number of the decisions BMW has made of late didn't sit well with me.

I'm probably in the market for a car next year and contemplating an RS-6, though I'm hoping to hold off till I see what BMW does on the LCI for the new ///M
__________________
WARNING: Author not responsible for the readers failure to recognize sarcasm.
Yield, I can has picture?
Current Car:
2014 BMW M5
Retired Bimmers:
2014 BMW i3
2013 BMW 550
2009 BMW 335
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-01-2019, 04:10 PM
Dave 20T's Avatar
Dave 20T Dave 20T is offline
Super Moderator
Location: Western Washington state
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,432
Mein Auto: 320i (F30)
I was thinking of a new 3 series (G20) but since it only comes with an automatic, I will keep my F30 longer than originally planned. That F30 will likely be my last manual transmission car ever. I will likely keep it until around the time the G20 is replaced.
__________________
Bimmerfest is a wealth of information!
TPMS sensors from BMW are VDO or HUF/Beru, but are not the same even though frequency is the same.
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=976197
Step by step instructions when a hood release cable needs replacement. https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=981724
SIB 11 13 15 oil filter housing for the F30 - metal since mid-2013 and can be retrofitted without charge
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=951692
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12-03-2019, 01:32 PM
Nightdriver Nightdriver is offline
Registered User
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 47
Mein Auto: 2018 530e
I did an ED for my 530e last year and really enjoyed it. Drove the car to Romania and back. Of course I got to let it loose on the no-limit autobahn coming back into Munich. I would definitely do it again unless the program is completely scrapped.

However, my SA here in Dallas was new to the program and gave me the US incentives on top of the ED. Her manager didn't notice until much later and asked it I would mind voluntarily surrendering those extra dollars! HA!! However, even with the decline in the discount, with ED we get the tours, 2 weeks of our own car rent-free, 2 weeks of insurance, and the discounts. Still a nice plan if you intend to visit western Europe. My brother did the Volvo ED version and they've cut back more than BMW. I've heard from friends that Mercedes is also backing off on its ED offers.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12-03-2019, 03:32 PM
808dakine 808dakine is offline
Registered User
Location: Hawaii
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 96
Mein Auto: Night Rod Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightdriver View Post
I did an ED for my 530e last year and really enjoyed it. Drove the car to Romania and back. Of course I got to let it loose on the no-limit autobahn coming back into Munich. I would definitely do it again unless the program is completely scrapped.

However, my SA here in Dallas was new to the program and gave me the US incentives on top of the ED. Her manager didn't notice until much later and asked it I would mind voluntarily surrendering those extra dollars! HA!! However, even with the decline in the discount, with ED we get the tours, 2 weeks of our own car rent-free, 2 weeks of insurance, and the discounts. Still a nice plan if you intend to visit western Europe. My brother did the Volvo ED version and they've cut back more than BMW. I've heard from friends that Mercedes is also backing off on its ED offers.
Did the Volvo OSD on a 2019MY XC40, BMW's ED equivalent and they paid for upgraded air from Hawaii, dinner and lodging at a first class hotel in Goteburg, prestige transportation service from airport to hotel, hotel to factory delivery site, return to hotel after returning the car 2 weeks later, and transportation to the airport for the paid trip home. Factory tour and museum visits included as well as a sit-down lunch at the FDC. All of this for over 20% less than my local dealer wanted for the same car versus the 5% from BMW. Incidentally, the local dealer said it would be 6-8 months before I'd even see the car. Through the OSD, we were driving it back home in 4 months with great memories of driving around Denmark, Sweden, and Norway and the Pacific Northwest.

That said, I'd still likely do another ED, and definitely another OSD when the full electric version hits the street. Pays to check the competition and be open to different brands.
__________________
The need for speed and sounds of freedom.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 12-05-2019, 08:04 AM
Ucla95 Ucla95 is offline
Thinking about ED #5
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,285
Mein Auto: Tesla P3D, XC90 R
My view - the reduction of discount & concurrent increase in US incentives has had a major effect, no matter how much people like to travel to Germany - it was a big factor for many that you knew you were getting a better deal than in the US. And I think it created more velocity, you could buy a car, own it for a year or two and sell it without taking too much of a depreciation hit and do it all over again. Plus the other forum has a much more dynamic front page which generates traffic. Finally some of the people who were huge brand ambassadors like jspira and beewang appear to be gone unfortunately.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 12-05-2019, 09:23 AM
pawarrant pawarrant is offline
SECDEF
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada USA
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 502
Mein Auto: 2016 Alpine White 435i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Shafer View Post
What do you suppose it would take to rekindle the passion for ED (besides the obvious)??

I really think BMW does an amazing job with the process of ED. It is top notch. I would imagine people that do ED are almost always going to be multiple repeat customers. I never looked at it as a a money saver, but with the past discounts it pretty much paid for your trip so it was a wash and you got a great experience out of it and BMW gained a loyal customer. Now it actually costs you more money so it discourages people and hurts loyalty.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 12-05-2019, 10:58 AM
Santorini Blue Santorini Blue is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Pasadena
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 212
Mein Auto: 14 328d wagon
BMW enthusiasts are the ones who do European delivery. Fewer these days.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 12-05-2019, 04:50 PM
808dakine 808dakine is offline
Registered User
Location: Hawaii
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 96
Mein Auto: Night Rod Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawarrant View Post
I really think BMW does an amazing job with the process of ED. It is top notch. I would imagine people that do ED are almost always going to be multiple repeat customers. I never looked at it as a a money saver, but with the past discounts it pretty much paid for your trip so it was a wash and you got a great experience out of it and BMW gained a loyal customer. Now it actually costs you more money so it discourages people and hurts loyalty.
hear-hear!
__________________
The need for speed and sounds of freedom.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 12-05-2019, 05:17 PM
Ucla95 Ucla95 is offline
Thinking about ED #5
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,285
Mein Auto: Tesla P3D, XC90 R
To restimulate ED they simply need to allow customers to apply US incentives (loyalty, UDE, cash back) on ED's. 2nd step - allow ED to have its own allocation of the M models, so enthusiasts who order early (say when the new M3 comes out) can get a car that doesn't come out of dealer allocation.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 12-06-2019, 04:37 AM
BSquared BSquared is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 17
Mein Auto: X4 M40i
With the big shift in popularity from sedans to SUV/SAV, BMW should be offering a USAD for Europeans to pick up their rides in SC
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 12-06-2019, 12:19 PM
Jon Shafer's Avatar
Jon Shafer Jon Shafer is offline
Bimmerfest Founder
Location: BMW of Santa Maria
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,683
Mein Auto: E92 M3 Cp + E30 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucla95 View Post
To restimulate ED they simply need to allow customers to apply US incentives (loyalty, UDE, cash back) on ED's. 2nd step - allow ED to have its own allocation of the M models, so enthusiasts who order early (say when the new M3 comes out) can get a car that doesn't come out of dealer allocation.




I could not agree more..

__________________
"No-Hassle"/Internet Special Pricing BMW SALES ē email me for a quote: [email protected]
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 12-07-2019, 06:37 AM
VIZSLA's Avatar
VIZSLA VIZSLA is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: North of Boston south of Tampa
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,305
Mein Auto: 328 328 308
Between the Ho-hum current product mix, BMW's disincentifications and lack of dealer enthusiasm, I have little reason to do a third ED.
__________________
328i Coupe
328xi Wagon
308GT4
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 12-07-2019, 08:15 AM
Technic's Avatar
Technic Technic is offline
OEM Audio PnP Integration
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 8,153
Mein Auto: 2017 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucla95 View Post
To restimulate ED they simply need to allow customers to apply US incentives (loyalty, UDE, cash back) on ED's. 2nd step - allow ED to have its own allocation of the M models, so enthusiasts who order early (say when the new M3 comes out) can get a car that doesn't come out of dealer allocation.
Excellent suggestions.

In my particular case, I add Individual options to my ED which raises the price to match the non-ED cost of getting the car at a crappy dealer. It helps BMW, helps Individual, helps the German economy, helps me. Then I top all that with a European vacation.

It seems to me that dealers, not BMWUSA, want to kill ED for quite some time. Lazy crappers that don't know even their own product in most cases. Sometimes buying a Kia at half the price with more warranty is more satisfying than buying a 330i at a BMW dealer. We have been spoiled in Bimmerfest with the fantasy that all salespersons are Jon when reality tells us time and time again that they are just average people selling a car from a lot. There is no Welt gusto in the US delivery; the closest is a Performance Delivery. And even that is not encouraged by dealers.

I will continue to do ED as long as the level of service is kept, and have the time for a vacation. Pricing may affect my decision, but then mediocre sales service levels that off.
__________________

BMW OEM Audio PnP integration
www.TechnicPnP.com
[email protected]
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 12-07-2019, 12:14 PM
Dave 20T's Avatar
Dave 20T Dave 20T is offline
Super Moderator
Location: Western Washington state
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,432
Mein Auto: 320i (F30)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Excellent suggestions.

In my particular case, I add Individual options to my ED which raises the price to match the non-ED cost of getting the car at a crappy dealer. It helps BMW, helps Individual, helps the German economy, helps me. Then I top all that with a European vacation.

It seems to me that dealers, not BMWUSA, want to kill ED for quite some time. Lazy crappers that don't know even their own product in most cases. Sometimes buying a Kia at half the price with more warranty is more satisfying than buying a 330i at a BMW dealer. We have been spoiled in Bimmerfest with the fantasy that all salespersons are Jon when reality tells us time and time again that they are just average people selling a car from a lot. There is no Welt gusto in the US delivery; the closest is a Performance Delivery. And even that is not encouraged by dealers.

I will continue to do ED as long as the level of service is kept, and have the time for a vacation. Pricing may affect my decision, but then mediocre sales service levels that off.
I liked European Delivery because my car was made across the street from the Welt. For most BMW's, the Welt is just a delivery center far removed from the factory. That is what the US located Performance Center is. However, some day, I might opt to buy a Performance Center delivery only then drive across the US to see the sights that I would not make a special trip to see. For example....

BMW South Carolina factory
Montgomery Alabama Southern Poverty Law Center black granite memorial designed by Maya Lin
Huntsville Alabama NASA rockets
Airplane museum near Midland, Texas
Santa Fe, NM
Mesa Verde
Grand Canyon
Edwards AFB museum if opened to the public
Yosemite
stop by San Francisco
__________________
Bimmerfest is a wealth of information!
TPMS sensors from BMW are VDO or HUF/Beru, but are not the same even though frequency is the same.
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=976197
Step by step instructions when a hood release cable needs replacement. https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=981724
SIB 11 13 15 oil filter housing for the F30 - metal since mid-2013 and can be retrofitted without charge
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=951692
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 12-08-2019, 03:41 PM
M FUNF M FUNF is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: South Dakota
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,526
Mein Auto: E60 M5,
As we spend between 6 weeks and 4 months in Europe every year ED has been a good deal for us, as we have no need to rent a car for that period. We already have a 1972 MB 450 SL that stays in Stuttgart and is used for participating in old car rallyes, (our favorite is the Kitzbuhel Alpen Rallye) but the car gets appalling fuel mileage so no long tours. Although it has been as far afield as Zakopane Poland, Bratislava, and Prague. Afraid no new BMW's for us just more E Class MB's. My wife wants to shop our 991 C4S over and leave it at the apartment instead of buying another car, but then that would need replacement Opinions?
__________________

M DREI und M FUNF at ElkHart Lake

Current Fleet
14 Audi S4 - Sons daily driver
13 C63 AMG. Coupe Devlpmnt Pkg 12 Sept. ED Delivery
12 K1600 GT One Lap of America-Sold
11 X5d (X Funf) ? PDC Delivery
12 HD FXDC Comfortable Cruiser
05 E500 4Matic ED Delivery
01 M3 (M DREI) Sunny Sunday Service
01 Honda RC51 Sons Bike
99 Ducati ST 2 My Bike
80 Porsche 911 Weissach Edition
72 350 SL Kitzbuhel Rally & Touring Car
60 Triumph TR 3 - X 2
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 01-03-2020, 12:38 PM
AggieKnight's Avatar
AggieKnight AggieKnight is offline
Can has cheezburger
Location: East Bay, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,063
Mein Auto: 2014 M5
I'll be honest; I got older and got kids. Far less time and money for fancy cars and fancy trips for now.

Of course, I say that and I'm actively watching the LCI information for the M5...cuz daddy (thinks he) needs a new car!
__________________
WARNING: Author not responsible for the readers failure to recognize sarcasm.
Yield, I can has picture?
Current Car:
2014 BMW M5
Retired Bimmers:
2014 BMW i3
2013 BMW 550
2009 BMW 335
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 01-06-2020, 02:06 PM
Mark K Mark K is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Cincinnati, OH
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,043
Mein Auto: '17 GTI '16 981 CS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Shafer View Post

What do you suppose it would take to rekindle the passion for ED (besides the obvious)??
I believe it is really just obvious. Make ED great again. MEGA. Even better acronym than the other one

Kidding aside, I think that just adding "we really, no, REALLY, want you here as our customer" feel to it would do a ton of good. You can even keep incentive (5% off MSRP) low or even non-existent but give people value where it doesn't cost you that much to do so. How?

Offer two airline tickets free of charge for certain itineraries. Like Wed - Wed with 14 nights, just for example. Buy them in EU and you will spend less than $1,500 for both. Ride from the airport, night in a nice hotel - right now you can stay in extremely nice hotels in EU (which are nicer than here anyway) for less than half the price for similar hotel in US. You get my gist.

The only problem with that is what another poster already said. I have deep and dark suspicion that none of this is any BMW doing - BMW AG or BMWNA. I believe customers are getting shafted by the out-of-control local USA business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M FUNF View Post
My wife wants to shop our 991 C4S over and leave it at the apartment instead of buying another car, but then that would need replacement Opinions?
Well, if it is 991.2, then ship away, drive to county fairs and wood hauling - who cares. But if it is 991.1 ... well ... keep it nice, shiny, with low miles and close to permanent home. Last thing it needs to become is daily driver in EU. I know you did get my hint.
__________________
_

2017 Golf GTI |Silver over tartan cloth| MT| Base S, no options. Oh, wait! ... It does have a spare tire!

2016 981 Cayman S | 6-speed MT| Active suspension | Sport Exhaust System | Torque vectoring (with LSD) | Sport seats + | Sport design steering wheel

2013 VW Golf TDI [CONFISCATED]

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010) [SOLD]
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 01-07-2020, 02:40 PM
Dave 20T's Avatar
Dave 20T Dave 20T is offline
Super Moderator
Location: Western Washington state
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,432
Mein Auto: 320i (F30)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M FUNF View Post
As we spend between 6 weeks and 4 months in Europe every year ED has been a good deal for us, as we have no need to rent a car for that period. We already have a 1972 MB 450 SL that stays in Stuttgart and is used for participating in old car rallyes, ...
I would be hesitant to store a car for possibly 8 months. Too much trouble. Might there be a fire from the trickle charger? Need to prep the car against weasels and rats?
__________________
Bimmerfest is a wealth of information!
TPMS sensors from BMW are VDO or HUF/Beru, but are not the same even though frequency is the same.
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=976197
Step by step instructions when a hood release cable needs replacement. https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=981724
SIB 11 13 15 oil filter housing for the F30 - metal since mid-2013 and can be retrofitted without charge
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=951692
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 01-08-2020, 10:22 AM
M FUNF M FUNF is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: South Dakota
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,526
Mein Auto: E60 M5,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 20T View Post
I would be hesitant to store a car for possibly 8 months. Too much trouble. Might there be a fire from the trickle charger? Need to prep the car against weasels and rats?
Car is stored in our garage and driven regularly by relatives. Yes other options are available but this gets it personal care, and is always ready for touring.
__________________

M DREI und M FUNF at ElkHart Lake

Current Fleet
14 Audi S4 - Sons daily driver
13 C63 AMG. Coupe Devlpmnt Pkg 12 Sept. ED Delivery
12 K1600 GT One Lap of America-Sold
11 X5d (X Funf) ? PDC Delivery
12 HD FXDC Comfortable Cruiser
05 E500 4Matic ED Delivery
01 M3 (M DREI) Sunny Sunday Service
01 Honda RC51 Sons Bike
99 Ducati ST 2 My Bike
80 Porsche 911 Weissach Edition
72 350 SL Kitzbuhel Rally & Touring Car
60 Triumph TR 3 - X 2
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > European Delivery
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.