GFCI pops - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > G30 (2017 - Current)

G30 (2017 - Current)
The next generation 5 Series, chassis code G30, arrives at dealers in February 2017. Looking like a scaled down 7 Series and riding on the CLAR platform, the new 5 Series will have a focus on lightweight and sporty performance. Engines options will come from BMW's new B family for the 530 and 540 and a turbocharged V8 for the M550i. Read more about the 2017 5 Series

Old 04-17-2019, 06:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2018 530e
GFCI pops

About 15-20% of the time I plug the 120V cable into my 2018 G30 the GFCI breaker on the garage outlet pops (not the fuse). Resetting it will always continue the charging and generally gives no more problems for several days. Anyone else had this happen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2019, 08:09 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 530e
I had that happen a couple of times. I decided that I wanted a 240 unit anyway so I had one installed. Works great. 1 hr 55 minutes to a full charge.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:37 AM

Thanks Steve. I just wonder what could cause a ground fault on this system. Perhaps it has something to do with the car itself being insulated from the same ground as the GFCI circuit. That theory might not hold if you stopped having this problem by going to the 240 system though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2019, 11:14 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 530e
Not sure as I had an electrician come in and he replaced the 110 circuit and added the 240 circuit and had to rearrange my circuit breaker box (I am really full up).
Old 04-18-2019, 07:18 AM

Wow, it looks like tuned out to be a generally good thing for you to have that done.

I did manage to find one other unrelated post on GFCI that observed;
"..., except that perhaps the sudden change in current is misinterpreted."

Doing more research I did find;
"GFCI outlets are vulnerable to wear and tear, just like standard electrical outlets, so expect your outlets to be less effective over time. One of the symptoms of an overused GFCI outlet is that it trips more than usual. This is because a worn out GFCI outlet is not able to adjust to the electric current variations as well as a new one can."

So I guess I'll try to change out this 27 year old outlet as the first and easiest pass.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2018 X3 M40i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightdriver View Post
Wow, it looks like tuned out to be a generally good thing for you to have that done.

I did manage to find one other unrelated post on GFCI that observed;
"..., except that perhaps the sudden change in current is misinterpreted."

Doing more research I did find;
"GFCI outlets are vulnerable to wear and tear, just like standard electrical outlets, so expect your outlets to be less effective over time. One of the symptoms of an overused GFCI outlet is that it trips more than usual. This is because a worn out GFCI outlet is not able to adjust to the electric current variations as well as a new one can."

So I guess I'll try to change out this 27 year old outlet as the first and easiest pass.
Definitely replace the outlet first. From first hand experience, they do wear out by getting weak and more likely to trip.
Old Yesterday, 04:39 AM

"easiest" it may have been, but not easy. Normally I can change an outlet in about 10 minutes. This one must have had a weak wire since it broke back in the box. Fortunately there was enough that I could splice in an extension (with a lot of effort). The ground wiring was also a mess. The builder must have used a failed apprentice to wire this house.

Now to test it for a week to see if that solves the GFCI problem.
Old Yesterday, 06:02 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2018 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightdriver View Post
"easiest" it may have been, but not easy. Normally I can change an outlet in about 10 minutes. This one must have had a weak wire since it broke back in the box. Fortunately there was enough that I could splice in an extension (with a lot of effort). The ground wiring was also a mess. The builder must have used a failed apprentice to wire this house.

Now to test it for a week to see if that solves the GFCI problem.
Those issues no doubt led to your intermittent issues. I replaced a standard outlet in my house which had been having issues. When removing it, I found the hot lead had never been tightened up, it was just sitting on the screw terminal. Wire was blackened from arcing. 30 year-old house. This is how fires can start out of nowhere, for no apparent reason. Found a fixture in my house was wired backwards, arcing when I replaced a burned out bulb with the fixture on.

Oh, found out my water heater was piped backwards, hot water was pulled from the cold water side which had a lower position in the water heater. After the first few months in the house, couldn't figure out why I kept getting clogged hot-side filters in my appliances. Ah, but I digress -- a story for another time!

Current: 2018 540i MSport | Med Blue/Cognac| MSport Brakes | Multi-Contour | HK | ZLP
Prior: 2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather

Last edited by markl53; Yesterday at 06:09 AM.
Old Yesterday, 08:47 AM

It seems builders don't hire master craftsmen much. I guess apprentices work so much cheaper. Until a lawsuit hits the builder for catastrophic mistakes.

Shortly after I moved in I had to rewire the 3-way light switches. They had been wired as master slave and apparently the apprentice did not test his work. The plumber they used was pretty inept at routing pipes and faucets. Many of them were located in quite inconvenient places for maintenance. A little planning (or experience) would have made that so much easier. When I had to replace the disposer I first had to remove all the piping beneath the sink instead of just that going to the disposer. Fortunately there were no major mistakes like your water heater, or worse -- arcing in the outlet boxes! Good thing you found and corrected that before the house burned to the ground.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > G30 (2017 - Current)
Today's Posts Search