airbag problems - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 04-17-2019, 02:27 AM

Mein Auto: e39-Daily&Mazda rx7-fun
airbag problems

hi guys, have a few questions for you to try help me with & bounce some ideas around u knowledgable folk on the forum......im have issues with my 2001 M54 530i, all started last week, some azzhole smashed the drivers window(needed my sunglasses more than i did as that was the only thing missing from the car) nothing else was touched they didnt even try to steal it, drove for a week no issues before finally getting the replacment glass, replaced it over the weekend.....yes stupid me unpluged the drivers door airbag without disconnecting the battery, & yes now the airbag light is on,mmmm yes easy enough i hear you say ,plug your scan tool in & clear it, well i have a snap-on solus pro, pluged in & tried to clear it, but comes back with a comunication error & will not connect to the airbag system, i then tried to scaning it for DTC ,no problems scaned as it should bought up 1 coolant code cleared it no problem, scan tool will id the ecu ,it will give me a live feed of every thing with the engine running. ie coolant/oil temps ,oil pressure throtal % ect ect, it will check everything else except the ABS system when i try to access the ABS it also brings up the same communication error, at first i thought i may be the snap-on scanners getting old & seen better days(as i have had airbag faults with the car before & it has cleared them,& it has also previously allowd me access to the ABS system), so off to a mates workshop to use his G scan tool, same thing access to everything acept airbag & A.B.S same thing scan tool comes up with check connection & communication error, mmmm by this stage im starting to think maybe my mates scan tools not right either, so off to anthor mates workshop to use his Autel scan tool, with the exact same results.....by this stage im thinking is the ABS & ASC working(i know u guys in the USA have DSC, but yes im in Australia & they call it ASC down here)so off home i go & on the way home put the passanger wheels on the dirt ,with the drivers side still on the road gave the brakes a good hit & shore enough got the ABS pump through the pedal, i then tried the ASC button on the dash & it all worked as it should(light switched on, car wheel spins no problems,switch light off & as soon as car brakes traction ASC light flashes & retards the car until its happy wheel spin has stoped) now im starting to think that maybe ive spiked the airbag module & the airbag module & ABS module are connected through can bus & thats why none of the scan tools can access them & keep coming back with a com fault, id really appreciate your thoughts & ideas on the issues & the location of the airbag module & if anyone knows a test prcedure for it.....thanks for reading & thanks in advance for your thoughts on it.....best regards from down-under GOZ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2019, 04:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 740iS, 2003 540iS
I believe you can use INPA to reset the airbag light.
A quick search of this forum pulled up many posts on the subject, like this one:
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...t=reset+airbag

2000 740iS. MKIV, 16x9, DDEs controlled by Euro fog light switch, reversed steptronic +/- pattern, paddle shifters, clear corners, Basslink, iPod video with stereo audio, TV tuner, gauge rings, ///M pedals, backup camera with 'on demand' switch, quad brake lights, Dinan engine & tranny software, windows/sunroof close via remote.

2003 540iS. MKIV, 16x9, PDC, CWP, TV tuner, backup camera with 'on demand' switch, paddle shifters, windows/sunroof close via remote, iPod video & audio.
Old 04-18-2019, 04:25 PM

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
The Peake SRS toll is foolproof. I've cleared a few SRS codes with it.

You'll need the adapter, since your car does not have the DLC connector under the bonnet.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 02:28 AM

Thanks for the replys guys......iam unfamiliar with both of these systems & will look into them, but as i mentioned in my post its strange to me that my snap-on scanner has previously cleared airbag faults with my car & has also cleared them on other e39s but it just wont connect now for some reason.....
Old Yesterday, 02:45 AM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: e39, e83, e60
Hmmm mm.... so you have a 2001 with ASC? that is a older system that stopped in like 98, Does your button say DCS OR ASC?

and do you have a pac man connector under the hood?

15486372<-----
Old Yesterday, 02:45 AM
Under the lift arms

last 7 of your vin please

15486372<-----
Old Yesterday, 03:03 AM

Yeah button says ASC nah no old round connector under the hood that ive ever seen (were do they usally instal them under the hood?).....I'll go double check now when i go [email protected] vin
Old Yesterday, 03:11 AM

June 2001 530i.....vin; CE64635
Old Yesterday, 03:12 AM

Also dont forget im in Australia & our build spec would be different to yours (Australia always gets all the rubish cars that no one else wants.....)
Old Today, 01:35 AM

Mein Auto: E39 530dAT 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning2nd View Post
Hmmm mm.... so you have a 2001 with ASC? that is a older system that stopped in like 98, Does your button say DCS OR ASC?
I'm in the 2001 and I've got ASC. Is normal.
Old Today, 02:37 AM

Hi pudl , thats very ingteresting as from what im lead to believe the ASC system is meant to be older than the DSC & most cars of our vintage in the USA have DSC, out of intreset when you get a chance check how far off chassis number yours is from mine(mabye its a chassis no thing) also wondering if u guys in the USA have had the big takarta air bag recal over there? we are going through it here in Australia & i have been told by the local BMW dealer hear that my chassis number is on the recall list & i should book my car in to have the front airbags relpaced.
Old Today, 02:41 AM

Burning is very knowledgable on the e39 & im still waiting for his input on the chassis number now ive given it to him.........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo0596.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	848637  
Old Today, 10:43 AM
Wingnut

Mein Auto: 1999 5281 5 sp msport
yes we have the air bag recall issue over here as well. ASC if i remember right was thru the 99 model 528 and went to DSC over here in estados unidos americanos starting with ym 2000 528. i think the 540 got it a bit earlier, but dont quote me on that. if you wish to check your VIN #, just google BMW VIN decoder.

be alert...the world needs more lerts
Old Today, 01:28 PM
Under the lift arms

Sorry for the delay, i missed the notification of reply..

You 2 are in euro versions

WBADT62050CE64635
Prod. Date 2001-04-11
Type 530I (EUR) <----- This is something different.. Ive finding a lot of difference's

i thought asc and dsc hand off was late 98 when they change most of everything (which is why when ordering parts for cars around this date its important to notate the month manufactured)

your car has the round communcation port under the hood correct?

15486372<-----

Last edited by Burning2nd; Today at 01:36 PM.
Old Today, 03:14 PM

ive looked & cant find the(round)obd1 plug under the hood, it appiars mine only has the(rectangle shaped) obd2 plug in the cabin above the storage pocket in the dash on the right side of the steering wheel, the build plate on the car also says its a june 2001 build, where you say its April, maybe thats just an Australian compliance date, but usaully we have the bult date & complinence date,but who knows maybe it was a special BMW order that had to be shipped in a hurry & it took them 2mths to get it here.....who knows, all i know is ive got this airbag light on & i cant get rid of it & when it goes in for its airbag recall the stealership is probably going to give me grief about it & try to bleed some money from me to clear it as they cant let the vehcile leave with the airbag/srs light on.....the only other thing i know is that my snap-on scan tool use to clear it as i previously replaced a door air bag & cleared the fault, but now it wont even connect to it......mmmm the search continues, thanks again for your help, ideas & coments

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)
Today's Posts Search