M54 down on power. - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 04-17-2019, 08:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2015 X3 35i
M54 down on power.

Hi guys, I don't have an E46, but I do have an early model E60 with the M54 engine. Since a lot of you here have the same M54B30 engine that is in my 530i, I thought I would ask here. I have 160k on this car and it's really down on power. I have no codes, so I don't know where to start. Have any of you E46 owners had this same issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2019, 09:18 AM

Mein Auto: E46 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdboss View Post
Hi guys, I don't have an E46, but I do have an early model E60 with the M54 engine. Since a lot of you here have the same M54B30 engine that is in my 530i, I thought I would ask here. I have 160k on this car and it's really down on power. I have no codes, so I don't know where to start. Have any of you E46 owners had this same issue?
Well that's really vague, loss in power can be associated with many things raging from vacuum leaks, clogged injectors, leaking spark plug seals, clogged PCV etc. Are there any other issues, do you notice anything from the car? Also how do you know there is power loss, aside from "the feeling"?
Old 04-17-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46Natasha View Post
Well that's really vague, loss in power can be associated with many things raging from vacuum leaks, clogged injectors, leaking spark plug seals, clogged PCV etc. Are there any other issues, do you notice anything from the car? Also how do you know there is power loss, aside from "the feeling"?
Yes it is vague, but I don't know where to start. I've checked for vacuum leaks and found none. I do have blue smoke on startup that I believe may be a faulty CCV, but AFAIK that wouldn't rob power. I also have stumbling idle on some mornings, but it's only happened a couple of times.

I know it slow because it shouldn't take 9 seconds to get up to 60 MPH.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2019, 01:12 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Have the codes scanned. Write down the results, and post them here. That will help in the diagnosis.

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 04-17-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
Have the codes scanned. Write down the results, and post them here. That will help in the diagnosis.
Since we are on the topic, ima steal the thread a bit. Autozone read my car to have bad MAF sensor, and I'm clueless as to how these codes are generated. I have aftermarket ebay-performance catless headers, and I turned off the CEL for this particular issue, or rather I purchased an unlocked ECU with no-cats option. Now, I don't know if this is the reason I get the MAF code, or my MAF is actually bad. I did try to drive without a MAD sensor at all, and it's really about the same, maybe a bit better idle. If I reconnected the engine stutters a little, and then goes back to normal which means the sensor works?
Old 04-17-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Like I said, I have no codes. No shadow faults, nothing. Itís like my engine was detuned by some people overnight.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:53 PM

Mein Auto: '02 325ci
Quote:
Since we are on the topic, ima steal the thread a bit.

Definitely stole the thread. Best bet is to start a new thread.

Your MAF sensor has nothing to do with deleting your cats.

Quote:
Like I said, I have no codes. No shadow faults, nothing. Itís like my engine was detuned by some people overnight.

When was the last time you did your plugs?

Have you checked your air filter to make sure it isnít plugged?

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 04-17-2019, 09:08 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Like I said, I have no codes. No shadow faults, nothing. It's like my engine was detuned by some people overnight.
That narrows it down a bit. There are not many factors which will degrade performance without throwing any fault codes. The one that goes to the top of my "Usual Suspects" list would be bad VANOS seals.

P.S.: Is your power loss "RPM specific"? (i.e., does it seem weak in the lower range, but then get stronger above 4000 RPMs ?)

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....

Last edited by Fast Bob; 04-17-2019 at 09:11 PM.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaustins14 View Post

When was the last time you did your plugs?

Have you checked your air filter to make sure it isnít plugged?

I haven't done spark plugs or coils. iDrive says they're still good, of course one of the previous owners might have just reset it.

I installed new OE air filter back in January.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:45 AM

Quote:
That narrows it down a bit. There are not many factors which will degrade performance without throwing any fault codes. The one that goes to the top of my "Usual Suspects" list would be bad VANOS seals.

P.S.: Is your power loss "RPM specific"? (i.e., does it seem weak in the lower range, but then get stronger above 4000 RPMs ?)
Do you mean like a Honda VTEC-like transition, where someone flipped a switch? Or just weak torque in the lower rev range? It pulls more in the higher RPM for sure. But even then, hitting the kickdown switch and letting it drop gears doesn't seem to help much.

I see a lot of debate on Bimmerfest about weather or not replacing the Vanos seals does anything. I can order the kit and do it myself, not expensive. I guess I can also have the injectors cleaned professionally and install new spark plugs too.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:57 AM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Do you mean like a Honda VTEC-like transition, where someone flipped a switch? Or just weak torque in the lower rev range? It pulls more in the higher RPM for sure. But even then, hitting the kickdown switch and letting it drop gears doesn't seem to help much.

I see a lot of debate on Bimmerfest about weather or not replacing the Vanos seals does anything. I can order the kit and do it myself, not expensive. I guess I can also have the injectors cleaned professionally and install new spark plugs too.
To those who claim no difference with new VANOS seals, I can only say "Your ass is sucking wind !". In addition to contributing to irregular idling problems, bad VANOS seals throw off the cam timing, allowing them to advance prematurely, long before there are enough RPMs to take advantage of that advance. The normal "turnover point" is around 4000 RPMs, at which point you should feel an increase in power.
You have nothing to lose by replacing the seals, as they ALL go bad eventually....

Old 04-18-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
To those who claim no difference with new VANOS seals, I can only say "Your ass is sucking wind !". In addition to contributing to irregular idling problems, bad VANOS seals throw off the cam timing, allowing them to advance prematurely, long before there are enough RPMs to take advantage of that advance. The normal "turnover point" is around 4000 RPMs, at which point you should feel an increase in power.
You have nothing to lose by replacing the seals, as they ALL go bad eventually....
I take it you have done this repair, and found a big difference in power.

I'll order the parts today and do it when I remove the intake to replace the CCV system. Anything else that should be swapped out while I have the intake manifold pulled off?
Old 04-18-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
I take it you have done this repair, and found a big difference in power.

I'll order the parts today and do it when I remove the intake to replace the CCV system. Anything else that should be swapped out while I have the intake manifold pulled off?

Iíd say replace vacuum lines no matter how good your current ones are, itís cheap, but hard to get to. Remember that the intake gasket is a one time use. Also there is throttle body and disa valve o-rings, and since they arenít expensive I like replace all at once to further prolong their life.

For the Vanos most recommend using Beisan seals, but Iím unsure on the quality of other manufacturers. Also the Vanos oil supply washers are one time use.

Old 04-18-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Iíd say replace vacuum lines no matter how good your current ones are, itís cheap, but hard to get to. Remember that the intake gasket is a one time use. Also there is throttle body and disa valve o-rings, and since they arenít expensive I like replace all at once to further prolong their life.

For the Vanos most recommend using Beisan seals, but Iím unsure on the quality of other manufacturers. Also the Vanos oil supply washers are one time use.

Can the DISA valve o-ring be replaced? I checked my DISA valve about two weeks ago to check- it was still fine. It looked like it was molded into the plastic and not replaceable.

I think the E60 has different vacuum line locations, but I guess I could replace those too.
Old 04-18-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Can the DISA valve o-ring be replaced? I checked my DISA valve about two weeks ago to check- it was still fine. It looked like it was molded into the plastic and not replaceable.

I think the E60 has different vacuum line locations, but I guess I could replace those too.

Yes, it can be replaced, but you are right, it is not a regular o ring. I pulled mine in many pieces, and I think this is the reason why bmw doesnít sell one. But after 5minutes of google search youíll find dimensions or replica o-rings, which is better than a worn one.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:14 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2003 330ci (5 speed)
My old ZHP took 8.5 seconds to get 60mph, no codes, ran fine. I replaced VANOS, MAF, plugs, deleted the CCV, smoke tests, etc. Ended up being clogged catalytic converters. Threw on catless headers and my 0-60 went down to 5 seconds. Years of oil usage had taken their toll on the cats.

My diagnosis started with putting a paper towel in the tail pipe and revving the engine, it barely had enough flow to push the paper towel out of the exhaust. Then, I used a laser temperature scanner and saw that the cats were WAY hotter than the exhaust coming out of the head. Sure enough, the cats were stopped up badly! There is a thread in here somewhere where I showed them after I cut them open.

Good luck

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Quote:
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old Yesterday, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
My old ZHP took 8.5 seconds to get 60mph, no codes, ran fine. I replaced VANOS, MAF, plugs, deleted the CCV, smoke tests, etc. Ended up being clogged catalytic converters. Threw on catless headers and my 0-60 went down to 5 seconds. Years of oil usage had taken their toll on the cats.

My diagnosis started with putting a paper towel in the tail pipe and revving the engine, it barely had enough flow to push the paper towel out of the exhaust. Then, I used a laser temperature scanner and saw that the cats were WAY hotter than the exhaust coming out of the head. Sure enough, the cats were stopped up badly! There is a thread in here somewhere where I showed them after I cut them open.

Good luck

How many miles did you have on your ZHP at the time? How much was it to have it fixed?
Old Yesterday, 10:49 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
How many miles did you have on your ZHP at the time? How much was it to have it fixed?
205k miles when I fixed it. Had probably been down on power since about 130-150k miles. The forum guys bought the headers for me. They were $300 iirc, the labor was free, I did it myself.

For new cats and labor expect it to be north of $1000.

Quote:
Old Yesterday, 11:42 AM

Quote:
205k miles when I fixed it. Had probably been down on power since about 130-150k miles. The forum guys bought the headers for me. They were $300 iirc, the labor was free, I did it myself.

For new cats and labor expect it to be north of $1000.
Crap, I hope that's not what it is. I need to replace CCV and vanos seals too. Aren't catless headers illegal in most states?
Old Yesterday, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Aren't catless headers illegal in most states?
https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/emissions-inspection/
Old Yesterday, 06:33 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
Crap, I hope that's not what it is. I need to replace CCV and vanos seals too. Aren't catless headers illegal in most states?
Probably illegal in all of them, but my state doesnít require vehicle inspection. They also trigger your CEL.

Iíd do the paper towel test, and the temp test as well.

Quote:
Old Yesterday, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Probably illegal in all of them, but my state doesnít require vehicle inspection. They also trigger your CEL.

Iíd do the paper towel test, and the temp test as well.
Whatís the normal temp for the catalytic converter?
Old Today, 06:09 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
Whatís the normal temp for the catalytic converter?
Not sure, but my temps at the 02 sensor were a lot lower than the 350 degrees coming off my cat. If yours are clogged you should see very high temps at the cat compared to the head/exhaust ports by the upper o2 sensor.

Quote:

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search