M5 Dynamic seat retrofit - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)

E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series E60 Sedan was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E61 wagon followed shortly there after. The E60/E61 5 series is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 01-15-2019, 10:06 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 530i, 05 X5 3.0, 04
M5 Dynamic seat retrofit

Hi,
I have an 05 530i that I recently purchased and unfortunately while they are powered seats they are the standard 10way electric seats without heat. I found and purchased from a fellow fanatic M5 Dynamic seats for both driver and passenger both of which are heated. He was even gracious enough to include the center console switch. I figured this would be a little difficult but certainly not beyond any of my skillset. Before retiring last summer I spent 30 yrs as an electrician in NYC and before that as an aircraft mechanic both in and out of the Air Force.
I am having difficulty finding a proper past DIY for this retrofit. Granted perhaps not the exact same retrofit but even something similar. The info I did find was either vague or in many instances did not seem easy to decipher. Even the TIS diagrams left a lot to be desired.
So fellow BMW fans I am looking for a sensible explanation as to what I need to do to make this happen. I do know I will have to create a few wire harnesses and that should pose no problem for me. I even have I believe all the connector termination fittings from a previous DIY of heated seats in an 03 330xi. So with all the necessary equipment to make this happen all I need from some one is a schematic and information as to where my terminations will be made.
I do know that once I have done the hardware end of this I will have to code it to finish the job which I am sourcing and have almost everything I need to make that happen short of the knowledge that will take.
Can someone help a guy out?
Thanks for taking the time out to read this and I will certainly post the retrofit progress as I proceed and hopefully help someone else who is wanting to do something of this nature.
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2019, 04:51 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
I'm going to be doing the same, but my set up is slightly different because I've got an LCI vehicle. I've been told to stick with seats from an LCI M5, I assume you need to stick with pre-LCI seats.

Here are a few threads for review:

https://bmw.spoolstreet.com/threads/...retrofit.3131/

https://5series.net/forums/e60-parts...ackrest-87105/

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...1#post12814809

Have fun and please let me know how things work out!

Jason
Old 01-15-2019, 05:02 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tttomttt View Post
Hi,
I do know I will have to create a few wire harnesses and that should pose no problem for me.
Tom
Actually, should be plug and play from what I've read. As long as you have pre-lci dash buttons and seats. Getting the active bolsters to work has been, from what I've heard, an impossibility.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2019, 05:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535xit
Can you post some pictures? The seats you got are out of an E6x? If so it should be pretty plug and play. I bet the bolt holes are in the same spots.

Here's a diy for the dash: https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...eplacement.htm

Coding might be required. I can't say. I know the sport switch is already coded in. They just don't give you the button. In any case, here to help.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:07 AM

Hey Guys,
Thanks for the response. I have scoured every possible resource and of course the more you delve the smarter about it you become. There are some DIY's from the UK and such but quite frankly they are a bit difficult to understand as you wade through the muck of what they needed and what you actually need. Since I have the electric 10 way seat already I have comm from the center switch and power under the seat which is not the X275 connector (yellow) but the smaller black plug that plugs into the seat module. The X275 plug to the M5 seats has only 4 open slots on it whereas my actual car connector has about 17 open slots. I think I am going to proceed with a harness based on what is missing from my car X275 compared to the new seat and route the harness into the center console. Hopefully I can figure out the rest of that new harness as I proceed. Not sure if I have to connect wiring to the buss behind the glove box fuse panel to enable the heated seat function. There are no 30a fuses in the required slots at this time but it would be nice to install fuses and see if it works.
As far as the active bolsters actually reacting to the cars motion is not all that important to me as a manual control for individual comfort would be.
Hopefully I can figure all this out and supply the forum with an in depth DIY to ease the burden of others attempting to improve their cars ride.
Tom
Old 01-18-2019, 03:03 AM

Soooo lets update. After comparing X275 connector (lge. yellow connector under seat) from both new seats and what is actually coming from my car harness I have an idea of what additional wires I will eventually need. In addition some of the other DIYs required the feeding of the 8 pin connector of the car harness that connects to the seat module. This connector needs power, gnd. and can bus high and can bus low. Upon looking in my car under the seat I discovered I had this already there plugged into my old seat module. At this point I decided to remove and replace the passenger seat and see what functions I had. The seat functioned normally as I am sure everyone imagined. I had previously purchased a center console switch with just heated seat buttons and DSC so I went about removing the center console trim and "carefully" replaced the switch. This was not as easy peasy as the Pelican Parts tutorial made out so be careful. I am awaiting the proper switch with bolster control from the fellow I bought the seats from but I could not wait to check to see if the heat function would work. After reassembly the moment of truth arrived and my passenger seat heat worked. Hip hip hooray.
I might add that these seats are so comfortable to sit in. Definitely a major upgrade compared to the standard seats. This is how this car should feel when you drive it. I can now research more at my leisure how to make the bolsters work as designed.

So for those of you that are attempting this retro fit and you have full electric seats to begin with it may be as easy as plug and play.

I did take some pics and I actually made sure they were not blurry (lol) and I will post a better DIY with pics plus the additional wiring that will be required for the active bolsters.

Good luck
Tom

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search