E93 Convertible roof problem! - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 03-30-2018, 02:56 PM

Mein Auto: M3 convertible
E93 Convertible roof problem!

Hi all,

My first post as an E93 convertible owner, and a desperate plea for help!

I should preface this by saying that my car is an M3 technically, but I suspect there are more 3-series convertible owners so I've posted here for (hopefully) greater exposure.

So, after 3 years of trouble-free operation my roof has jammed. It disengages from the windscreen latches fine and you can then hear the pump trying to move the roof in its normal way, but there is no movement and (strangely) no iDrive messages/warnings etc.

A few points:

1. I have obviously checked the boot for obstructions etc. I've had the vehicle some time so am familiar with the 'tray' and zones that need to be clear.
2. I have already tried changing the 'salmon relays' as per other posts on the subject. No improvement unfortunately...
3. There is no water ingress, nor hydraulic fluid leakage visible (checked by my local independent mechanic)
4. There is no obvious obstruction/issue with the roof itself. This is however, the first time it has been operated in some months, as you might expect. Ambient temp was +8C so nothing abnormal.

If anyone has experienced the same issue and has any good gen to share I really would be very grateful indeed- next step is probably a pump change at £1300 so I'm really eager to try any other alternatives first. The pump may be fine- who knows?!?!

Gonna post this on the 'other' forums too in the hope I can get some info... Any thoughts gratefully received!

Many thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2018, 09:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E93 335i, somewhat mod

First things first: [click here] --> Clear Codes --> Try roof operation --> Read Codes --> Post error code listing here
Old 04-03-2018, 03:45 PM

Ok. Thanks. I'll try that first and post what I find. I'm abroad currently but I'll be on the case when I return! Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2018, 05:44 PM

An update...

So, no fault codes found by my mechanic. Nothing at all.

I have disconnected the battery for 12h and reconnected it to try to force a roof reset but it still wonít work. If anything it has gotten worse- the latches now seem reluctant to release at the front whereas previously they released but the roof wouldnít move.

Confused! Any suggestions gracefully appreciated.

Thanks
Old 04-07-2018, 09:34 AM

Dealer visit may be indicated - need factory training, poss alignment issue.
Old 04-07-2018, 12:13 PM

Mein Auto: X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baboon View Post
An update...

So, no fault codes found by my mechanic. Nothing at all.
Did he use a BMW scanner, not a generic one? Just double-checking, as from my experience no matter how good your BMW is, there's always a code or two stored in the system, unless recently reset.

Also, how fresh/charged is the battery?
Old 04-11-2018, 07:30 PM

Donít know about the scanner. I will ask. However, your comment re the battery state is very interesting. I am wondering if the battery is the culprit... My usage is primarily for short, infrequent journeys and I wonder if the combination of lack of use of the roof over the winter and low battery charge may explain the issue.

So, my plan (all cooments, suggestions and inputs welcome!):

1. Charge the battery
2. Assuming I can move the roof sufficiently, lubricate all they moving parts in the hope that the issue will then be resolved.
3. Probably looking at significant expense. Get wallet out.

I will post the result of parts 1 & 2 once done. I am currently on holiday abroad so itíll be a few days still.

Thanks,
Old 04-11-2018, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baboon View Post
Don't know about the scanner. I will ask. However, your comment re the battery state is very interesting. I am wondering if the battery is the culprit... My usage is primarily for short, infrequent journeys and I wonder if the combination of lack of use of the roof over the winter and low battery charge may explain the issue.

So, my plan (all cooments, suggestions and inputs welcome!):

1. Charge the battery

Before you charge the battery, 1st thing in morning before starting the car, measure battery voltage at the points indicated below. 12.5v+ is good. Less, especially less than 12v, bad. Trickle charge or fix parasitic drain or fix charging circuit or replace battery. A little detective work's needed.

Last edited by CALWATERBOY TRE; 04-11-2018 at 08:28 PM.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:47 AM

Well, after all that I dropped it off at BMW this morning and somehow they canít find any fault at all! The roof works!

So Iím not complaining but still canít work it out.

My guess is that having charged the battery the other night and having lubricated all the hinges I could find whilst the roof was partially open it is now behaving itself after having been closed all winter. In either case £99+VAT is money well spent if it now works...

Thanks for all the info and suggestions guys. I really appreciate all your help. Hopefully this is the end of the story but my advice if you have a similar issue would be:

1. Charge the battery fully
2. Lubricate all the latches and hinges
3. Change salmon relays if it still wonít work
4. Be patient! I reckon it took a few days for the WD40 I used to properly get into the hinges...

Cheers all
Old 04-27-2018, 12:54 PM
Hat's On, Tops Down!

Mein Auto: 2013 335is
I charge my E93 once per month on my BMW smart charger. I get the alert of a low battery if I don't do that after having let the car sit longer than 2 weeks without driving it. Also, the tray has a habit of not seating properly, it might be a good idea just to give it one more try and firmly seat it.

Best of luck.

2013 335is Convertible Mine
MODS:M3 Strut Brace / Smart Top Module / Ikon Lip and spoiler
VRSF Charge Pipe /
2019 540i - Wifes
BMWCCA Member
Previous: 2004 3.0 Z4 / 2008 Z4M / 2018 x5 3d /

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
convertible, m3, roof

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search