Service messed up, wants to keep my car for at least 2 more weeks - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > G20 (2019 - Current)

G20 (2019 - Current)

Old 11-13-2019, 07:40 AM

Mein Auto:
Service messed up, wants to keep my car for at least 2 more weeks

I leased a G20 a little over a month ago and noticed that the multifunction knob on the steering wheel (by the volume buttons on the right side) is not working properly. Brought it in to my local service center which told me that they have to order the part and it'll take 10 - 14 days to arrive.

Got a phone call to come in after two weeks.
A couple days after it was in I called to get an update and the service advisor told me that a plastic part broke while replacing the part, but it will arrive tomorrow and they will finish everything tomorrow. A day later I got a phone call that the part was installed, but there's an air bag light on and they will have to order another part from Germany, so the car is grounded and is going to stay there for at least another two weeks.

When asked about how that even happens I was told that something unclear happened to a component next to the part replaced and that "my car is so new, so it's hard to fix to fix this issue". And that "it's the first time a tech is doing this kind of job".

I didn't even make my second payment on the car and now I need to wait another couple of weeks, and I'm afraid they will mess up again and the car will stay there longer than that.

I want my car back, any suggestions of how I should handle this situation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2019, 08:45 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Exercise patience. Do you have a loaner? It may not be the same as your car, but it does provide you with transportation, and I assume it is a BMW. At this point you're just going to have to trust the dealership and the service technician to fully repair the car.

Present - '06 E90 330i sport; Past - '04 E46 ZHP, '00 E46 328i
www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

Last edited by tturedraider; 11-13-2019 at 08:46 AM.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:17 AM
2020 Z4 M40i

Mein Auto: 2020 Z4 M40i
First thing you want to do is get a refund of the lease payment from BMWFC. You will not get the car back till its safe to drive, don't think you have any recourse there, its their car not yours.

Get the best loaner you can from the dealer.

CURRENT:
2020 Z4 M40i
2019 Chevy Suburban 4X4 RST 420BHP
2013 BMW 135is JB4 convt 6MT
2009 Yamaha V-Star
1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash 5MT
1965 COBRA 550BHP FORD Racing COYOTE TKO-600
FFR Cobra Mk-IV COYOTE 5MT Build Thread
480 WHP of BURBBLES
I LOVE THE SMELL OF BURNT 100 IN THE MORNING
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2019, 12:32 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 540i; 428 GC; 340i 6MT
Have a POLITE conversation with the GSM of the dealership. Explain that, while you know you are an early adopter and first model year cars almost always have bugs to be worked out, you are distressed this has happened. Ask him / her if there is anything they can do on their end to move the process along.

A significant portion of their revenue likely comes from maintaining high CSI scores, and the last thing they want is unhappy customers torching them on the surveys. While you should not expect any help from BMWFS (they are not responsible for the broken parts or the tech's learning curve) the GSM will likely offer you something to make it right: A certificate to the BMW Boutique in his store, free detailing, winter mats, etc.

It wouldn't hurt to research the lemon law rules for your state. Typically XX number of days out of service for the same repair. I bet you are a long way away from a lemon law claim, but the mere hint of one can get BMWNA (not BMWFS nor the dealer) bending over backward to help you.

2017 540i MSport
2017 330i Sport

Prior BMW's
2018 340i RWD 6MT MSport
2016 428 GC MSport
2015 X1 35i xDrive
2015 X1 28i xDrive
2014 535i MSport
2014 328i SportWagon
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 11-13-2019, 12:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 530e
I have a different view. This is a chance to drive a good car without impacting on your allowable miles. I would nicely explain that you have waited patiently but now your patience is running out and you want a loaner that is at least as good as your car. Ask for a G30 that is similar to yours (530i or e if you have a 330i, 540i if you have an M340i. Give you a chance to compare without using up your miles.

If your SA doesn't fix you up, ask to speak to the service manager and if that doesn't work, ask to speak to the general manager. Your ultimate power is to write a very negative review since, after all, the dealership screwed up your review. But I would be very surprised if your dealership doesn't take proiper care of you.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:23 PM
2020 Z4 M40i

Mein Auto: 2020 Z4 M40i
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
Have a POLITE conversation with the GSM of the dealership. Explain that, while you know you are an early adopter and first model year cars almost always have bugs to be worked out, you are distressed this has happened. Ask him / her if there is anything they can do on their end to move the process along.

A significant portion of their revenue likely comes from maintaining high CSI scores, and the last thing they want is unhappy customers torching them on the surveys. While you should not expect any help from BMWFS (they are not responsible for the broken parts or the tech's learning curve) the GSM will likely offer you something to make it right: A certificate to the BMW Boutique in his store, free detailing, winter mats, etc.

It wouldn't hurt to research the lemon law rules for your state. Typically XX number of days out of service for the same repair. I bet you are a long way away from a lemon law claim, but the mere hint of one can get BMWNA (not BMWFS nor the dealer) bending over backward to help you.
Have to disagree with this based on personal experience. One of my cars was laid up for a month at the end of a lease for a replacement motor mount to come in from Germany.

BMWFS refunded the entire months lease payment & did not charge me for some time overrun while waiting on a ordered car to show up at the PCD program.

Got some other goodies thrown in down the road like a free HPDS in Greer SC.

Point is if you don't ask you will get nothing.

CURRENT:
2020 Z4 M40i
2019 Chevy Suburban 4X4 RST 420BHP
2013 BMW 135is JB4 convt 6MT
2009 Yamaha V-Star
1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash 5MT
1965 COBRA 550BHP FORD Racing COYOTE TKO-600
FFR Cobra Mk-IV COYOTE 5MT Build Thread
480 WHP of BURBBLES
I LOVE THE SMELL OF BURNT 100 IN THE MORNING
Old 11-13-2019, 09:43 PM

Mein Auto:
Thank you for your advise. I called the service manager this morning who called me back towards the end of the day and said that the car is ready to go, without too much explanations.

However when I got there I discovered other problems:

When they tried taking the steering wheel off, for whatever reason they punched two holes on the right side of the back of the steering wheel and one of the left (they need to punch a hole with a screw driver of each side to take the steering wheel off, but there was an extra one on the left side for some reason). The service manager brought the Foreman to take a look at it and they told me that they are going to replace the stealing wheel.

I also noticed a small scratch on the front rim, which I showed the foreman and he told me that they will have professionals come and fix it.

As I was driving away I noticed that all my safety features were off, with a massage to go in for service. Drove right back and was told by the foreman that he will have to diagnose it tomorrow.

Not super happy about this whole situation but he was nice about everything and I asked him to personally handle my car.

In the meantime I got a X3. Feels odd being so high up the road when I'm so low with my 330i M Sport.
Old 11-15-2019, 08:48 AM
OEM Audio PnP Integration

Mein Auto: 2017 M3
I admire your patience with these monkeys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royeh602 View Post
Thank you for your advise. I called the service manager this morning who called me back towards the end of the day and said that the car is ready to go, without too much explanations.

However when I got there I discovered other problems:

When they tried taking the steering wheel off, for whatever reason they punched two holes on the right side of the back of the steering wheel and one of the left (they need to punch a hole with a screw driver of each side to take the steering wheel off, but there was an extra one on the left side for some reason). The service manager brought the Foreman to take a look at it and they told me that they are going to replace the stealing wheel.

I also noticed a small scratch on the front rim, which I showed the foreman and he told me that they will have professionals come and fix it.

As I was driving away I noticed that all my safety features were off, with a massage to go in for service. Drove right back and was told by the foreman that he will have to diagnose it tomorrow.

Not super happy about this whole situation but he was nice about everything and I asked him to personally handle my car.

In the meantime I got a X3. Feels odd being so high up the road when I'm so low with my 330i M Sport.

BMW OEM Audio PnP integration
www.TechnicPnP.com
[email protected]
Old 11-16-2019, 09:03 AM

Mein Auto:
Update:

Car still in the shop.

They called me last night and said that they need to replace a camera which will arrive on Monday that is essentially one of the sensors for all the safety features (lane departure, auto breaking, etc). They are working with BMW to fix this. When I asked the service advisor how would this problem even come about he said that other problems can pop up when they try to fix something. Again.. I came in to replace a knob on the steering wheel.. over a week ago.
Old 11-16-2019, 12:40 PM
Petrolhead

Mein Auto: G20 330i, F25 X3, A7, SQ5
You are one patient human being. I don't think lemon law applies in this case, does it? On the bright side, you can ask them to give you an X3 M40i if they gave you the 30i. Or maybe another 330i or M340i or better if they have any? Have fun with one of their better loaner cars maybe?
Old 11-16-2019, 08:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2018 M550I. XDrive
Be patient, the car will be fixed well. Just be sure to ask for a loaner of a similar class as your car.
In 2010 my e60 550i needed a new engine and it took them 4 months to do it. They gave me a new 535i to drive and I returned it with 8000 miles after 4 months and my 550i was perfect after that.

Last edited by jagu; 11-16-2019 at 08:40 PM.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:35 AM

Mein Auto: '14 328i
my G20 had problems with the system that works with convenience locking, et. It took 3 weeks for them to fix my 330i.. In the mean time I had a 440i. Not a bad deal.

2019 330i, mineral gray, black, all the safety nannies, etc

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > G20 (2019 - Current)
Today's Posts Search