BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

03 Z4 Convertible Top Won't Go Down But Unlatches

53K views 47 replies 23 participants last post by  DB192 
#1 ·
Hi everyone.. So i have a problem with my 2003 Z4 when i press the button for the top to go down the light turns Red and Unlatches the top but it does not go down or even move after that. I can hear the motor (same sound as if it was working) but the top will not go anywhere? I checked the microswitch and that was fine. Any one else have this experience? Please help :cry: .. Thank you!

#2 ·
Try resetting the two "dials" in the trunk. Sometimes if a box or something jostles one it will trip the safety so the top won't go down (but will still unlatch for some reason). Just raise both (so the top can't go down) then lower both and try to drop the top again.

#4 ·
Agreed with kroddy,

I had this issue and if the top latches and unlatches, but doesn't move once unlatched, then it's not the switch in the trunk. The motor for your top has seized and that's why it doesn't move. The only way to replace the motor is to remove the entire top. That's why it's a $2k+ job. I replaced mine myself using ShipKiller's DIY. Parts cost about $450. If you're remotely handy with tools, you could save yourself big money by doing it yourself.

#6 ·
s0n1c is correct. If the top unlatches but does not move, the trunk switch is good. There are a ton of threads on this forum, and other forums, that talk all about softtop issues. Do a search and educate yourself before you do anything rash like go to the dealer.

#7 ·
All of my part research results in a part number that ends in 193 448. I also researched by vin on the site that shipkiller recommends. When I first took it by the stealer for evaluation they provided me with a different part number that ends in 079 586. Strangley enough even online it is 2.5 times the price of the other. Any insight??? Do you think the parts/motors are interchangable?
Appreciate any help, thanks.

ps I don't have a garage to take it apart, leave it, order, and come back to it. :(

#8 ·
54347193448 is the part number I used. I ordered it from getbmwparts.com and it costs $326. If you search by year/make/model, you end up with another part that costs like $520+. I can confirm that the part number I just posted works on the 03 z4 2.5i.

#10 ·
Fellow Bimmers,

I just completed the replacement of my soft top hydraulic/motor! Shipkiller's detailed instructions were spot on and extremely helpful, Thanks!!!!!!!
It took me a little longer than I has expected, I had a difficult time reinstalling the hoop into its clips. I realized that putting the top in the extended/covered position made it easier. Additionally I had been trying to engage the clips from inside the trunk :( it works much better from standing outside the car, lining it up, and pushing down quite strongly.

ATTENTION: My new pump (same part number as the old one) came with the hydraulic line connections reversed! Lines 11 and 13 (clearly marked) that were originally on the left side were now on the right side. If this is the case, one MUST reverse the two wires as well. Yes the motor will work in the opposite direction but the locking clips on the windshield strut will not engage!

Thank you all for your invaluable info and if any one needs assistance I will be glad to share.

Bimmerfest saved me $2100. and good feelings for my favorite auto.

kroddy

#11 ·
Try the knobs in the trunk

Try the knobs in the trunk. I had the problem over the weekend and did the knob thing. Fixed it.

#16 · (Edited)
Thanks kroddy1414 i'll give it a try today when i get home from work.

im almost giving up hope and think its the motor but i want to try everything i can.

If I push to open the top button, red light blinks, unlocks, but if i try to manually open it, it does not move, i guess it's the hydraulic oil pressure.

If i go to the red release in trunk i cannot barely pull it or twist it. very hard. im thinking im going to break it.

if i can at least release the oil pressure and manually bring the top down or up for know i can manage until i can spit out the 340.00 for the motor. That's the price i see it in partsgeek.com

i dont know if it's the OEM or all parts needed but it's alot cheaper then the 540.00 that the other one is advertise for.

Thanks again,

Carlos:(

#18 · (Edited)
The red pull handle in the trunk must be horizontally in order for the top to function. If it's vertically, it is in the position to manually work the top; just pull on the handle and twist
90 degrees then push in and the handle should lock into the auto mode. I believe it will twist clockwise to lock in.
Good luck.

#20 ·
If the red pull handle is in the released mode, you should be able to just twist the handle 90 degrees and then push the handle back into it's parked position.
If you feel uncomfortable doing this, I would suggest stopping by a BMW dealer service department and have a tech help/show you. I can't imagine that they would
charge you for this; it's a simple procedure.

#22 ·
The Red handle Twists 90 degrees and moves only slightly. I think maybe about 0.5-1 in. All this does is allow a bypass to the hydrolic motor. Once this is done y o u should be able to manually move top up and down if the lock is released which usually works regardless of hydrolic motor issues.
You don't need to tank it very much at all. If you did this and it's still not moving maybe something else is jamming it?

#23 · (Edited)
psycleridr, it's got to be something else blocking it from coming down
i unlock the top from the inside and it unlocks but it wont move anymore from there
i can force and pull it back another maybe 3-4 inches open but thats it.

i have looked in the trunk everywhere for objects obstructing, since my wife is the one using this car and putting grocery in the trunk im thinking she may have hit something in there and got the damn thing jammed.

I will go home again today and try to work on the knob again today a bit.

i'll bring an update.

I really appreciate all the help in this forum. it's really nice to be able to speak with other owners and them understanding what im saying.

thanks guys,

carlos

#24 ·
Maybe you did this but it wasn't clear from the write up that you've actually pulled on the red release loop in the trunk. You have to pull it about 3/4" or so to activate the bypass on the hydraulic pump.
The most common cause of the hydrauilic pump motor failing is corrosion from getting flooded when the drains get plugged. Unfortunately its not unusual for the corrosion to freeze up the release mechanism.
You can still get the top to go down, it just takes time and patience. Release the front and just keep moderate pressure on the top and it will slowly move backwards. If you put too much pressure the movement stops, too little and it doesn't move. You just have to go by feel.
I think in the end here you're going to be replacing the hydraulic pump assembly.

#25 · (Edited)
dc_wright, thanks for your input. i have pulled the red ring with a bit more then average strength and turned vertically downward and it would twist 90 degree all day but not move out anything. Maybe im making this harder then what it really is.

I will try it again tonight,

I will unlock the top with the button

Pull about 3/4 and twist vertically downward

and I will follow your recommendation of pulling the top down " just keep moderate pressure" and see what happens.

At this point any advise works for me.

#26 ·
The twist doesn't have anything to do with activating the pump bypass, only the linear movement from pulling on the cable does that. Where the twist comes in is that once you've pulled the ring out you can generally twist it 90 degrees and it will hold that position so you can take your hand off it to move the top. Just to be certain its staying released get a helper to pull on the release and hold it while you try moving the top.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.