BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Aaaaarggggghhhhh....Homelink pains

655 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Morfm3 
#1 ·
I'm as frustrated as possible with this one. I've followed several well detailed processes as well as 4 different BMW YouTubes on programming the Homelink in the new-to-me 2013 135i.
I've changed batteries. I've held the remote at enough different locations that my arm got tired. All that happens is the light blinks slowly, that after about a minute it just quits. (I've cleared it numerous times and the light will flash rapidly)
What's really frustrating is that the 2016 X5 works like a champ with no clearing required. Press the homelink button for about 20 seconds (flashes fast, then continuous, then slow flashes. Let that go for 20 seconds or so. Press the button on the clicker and the button on the homelink simultaneously until the homelink button goes from slow flashes to rapid. Voile! Done. No up and down the ladder to the unit. Works like a champ.
Now go to the 135. Zip. Nada. Also try the 2007 328i. Same as the 135. Thank God the 1997 328i doesn't have homelink. I can use my Chamberlain or Liftmaster remotes perfectly, and they program in a flash from the wall unit.
I know this problem has been discussed numerous times. The Genius at the local BMW dealer had no suggestions that I hadn't already tried.
About all LiftMaster can offer is for you to buy some controller add-ons for 30 bucks a pop (I'm looking at three different door openers) and I'm just not going to go for that ... I have the clickers that came with the units and they do the job with no problem. It's the BMW Homelink that's a PITA. Any and all suggestions are not only welcome, they're prayed for!!

See less See more
#2 ·
When I moved a couple of years ago, I tried programming my homelink to both garage doors. The first one took without a hitch, the other refused to take after a million attempts.
Each door had a different brand opener so I’m sure that has something to do with it.
Liftmaster works fine.
Genie only works with the manufacturer’s remote.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

#3 ·
Interesting. The 2007 is in the garage with a genie and it works. It’s the liftmaster as (and chamberlain) that won’t work. Personally, I think it’s Homelink more than anything but no one will ‘fess up to it.

#5 ·
Installed new Liftmasters openers when we moved in a few years ago. I had to buy all of the Homelink accessories from Liftmaster in order to get all of the cars to work. Didn't make me happy, but we have a lot of cars and some long-term family visitors.

#6 ·
Thanks. I looked at a liftmaster site and found virtually every liftmaster and chamberlain product defaulted to “..you must buy.....” which I consider BS on their part. They should be forced to post a warning prominently on all sides of ever carton so people would know what they are not getting. Wanna bet once sales started to suffer they’d fix the issue? Liftmaster is a good product. Too bad the won’t help out with some freebies to fix their own issue...besides two openers...

#7 ·
I think you're being kind. This capability should have been built in from the start. It isn't as if something changed recently with regard to rolling codes and Homelink. Heck, I knew about this crap before I purchased. However, the competition wasn't any better....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.