BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

cricket in ma cabin !

823 views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  jaye944 
#1 ·
I think this is a known problem.

I can't really investigate till it gets warmer but the blower from dead cold 1deg or lower SOMETIMES buzzes like a cricket, turning the fan higher speed stops it.

I've heard it can be due to water leakage on the blower, might need removing and cleaning

any thoughts

#3 ·
LOL txs,
I think you get it out from inside under the glovebox

but yeah txs

have heard people say sometimes it goes on for years with no probs

#4 ·
I found that removing the cabin air filter, I could have a look at the top of the motor, a little bit of rust on the top spindle, managed to squirt a bit of PB blaster on the top from the slot, not sure what that will do or help,
it was a bit hit and miss becuase the straw wasn't long enough, but I manged to hit it, cabin smells of PB blaster now LOL

#5 ·
I did the same thing and the excess oil mixed with the carbon dust from the brushes and shorted out the commutator. The fan ran fine for a few days and then would only run on low speed. Higher speeds would trip the over current protection in the speed control module and shutdown the motor.
I had to take the motor out and flush it clean with carb cleaner and compressed air.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

#6 ·
oh bugger, you did say... damn it, didn't read that very clearly but mind you I kinda only hit it with a couple of squirts,
I'll keep an eye on it we'll see ! LOL
txs beanie baby !

#7 ·
so far so good !
PB blaster smell diminishing

#8 ·
update - so far so good, dropped to -4 this morning and all seemed fine !

#9 ·
no problems so far, but the temps have really varied,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.