BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Engin bay grinding noise!

Tags
e87 116i
1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  BabyUnicornTaco 
#1 ·
Hello,

I'm new here so i don't know if anybody has spoken about this problem before so sorry if i'm repeatin things but here is my problem! :tsk:

When i start my BMW E87 116I 2006 1.6L 5 speed manuel cold it has a few seconds of metal grinding noise which i expect to be the starter motor going that I was going to look at the weekend, but there is a second problem which i don't know if it is coming from the starter motor aswell or something else...

When i drive hot or cold when i decelerate and hit around 3000 rpm to 2000 rmp i will get the same grinding noise from the engin bay that i get from starting the car, the same grinding noise as starting it. so would this be the starter motor aswell ?

If i get the grinding, stop turn the car off and back on again it won't grind as i drive, so my guess is that the starter motor is not desengaging when cold and having to stop start once hot for it to stop grinding, could this be a thing or is it something else ? I'm 22 years of age and this is my first BMW so i'm not very used to german cars yet, thx for reading ! :thumbup::angel:

PS: sorry for the spelling I'm french so it's a bit hard thx

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.