help with secondary air system - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 06-01-2020, 05:19 PM
Dmytro

Mein Auto: 1998 z3
help with secondary air system

Long story short,1998 Z3 M52 2.8. Had intake manifold off, to replace oil separator, kind of slipped into it so didn't take pictures of the wiring. Also replaced fuel injectors, all 6 as one was leaking gas into cylinder and then backfiring when starting only. When reassembled, I had some of the wires switched, although it still started. Think I have the wires figured out. I'm getting a reading from the temp sensor, and the two other (2 wire ones, one for charcoal canister, and one for the SAS switch) are, i believe correctly connected, in any event switching them does not change anything!. Engine always starts on the third crank (it used to start right away), secondary air system does not engage at all, although checks out, both pump and valve are good. Pump runs when 12 volts supplied, vacuum switch tested manually switches on and off, electric vacuum switch not yet tested. No codes. Thinking its a blown fuse somewhere, but all fuses under hood check out, in any event there do not appear to be any fuses for charcoal canister vapour switch or secondary air vacuum switch. There is a reference in the fuse box to a 40 amp. fuse under the steering wheel, but can't find it.
Car runs flawlessly once started, seems to have more power, idles perfectly. I did "reset all adaptations" twice, once when the wiring was misconnected. Ideas please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2020, 04:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 Z3 Roadster
As far as I know, the SAP is energized through a relay upon a command from the DME (engine computer). The DME only energizes it on start-up when the engine is cold. I would check the coolant temperature sensor on the block.
Old 06-10-2020, 05:42 PM
Dmytro

Mein Auto: 1998 z3
Thanks for the reply, not dealing with this issue as promptly as I should, apologies. So I hooked up my Schwaben scanner, and I'm getting a reading from the coolant temp sensor, reading approximately ambient temperature, so I think it's not a sensor/lack of signal problem. Rightly or wrongly I've become convinced that it is the elusive (big orange) 40 amp. fuse number 48, which is marked in the fuse box as "fuse not in fusebox, under steering wheel". I can't find it, any advice as to where to look (pre 9/98 Z3 2.8) would be much appreciated. Is it perhaps wrapped in one of the wire bundles? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2020, 07:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 Z3 Roadster
This is just conjecture on my part, but there is no way they would put a fuse that big inside the cockpit, especially since the main power lug for the engine compartment is right next to the Secondary Air Pump. I would look in that area first.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
Today's Posts Search