2011 E70 35i - Engine Oil Leak... Help! - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X3 M, X5 M, X6 M, Z3 M & Z4 M > E70 X5 M and E71 X6 M (2010 - 2015)

E70 X5 M and E71 X6 M (2010 - 2015)
The BMW X5 M and X6 M are the first xDrive all-wheel-drive vehicles from M GmbH. The M variants offers the same utility as the regular X5 and X6, with the addition of the V8 M TwinPower Turbo, a twin-turbocharged 4.4-liter V8 delivering 560 horsepower and 500 lb·ft of torque.

Old 10-21-2019, 03:25 PM

Mein Auto:
2011 E70 35i - Engine Oil Leak... Help!

Hi Bimmerfest Community,

Ya'll been super helpful in helping me triage my BMW X5 problems and I hope someone can help me find the source of my current problem.

Just last night, I spent the day replacing my tensioner/belt/pulleys and I discovered I definitely have a leak with my engine oil. I should've known this because I did an oil change in Jan of 2019 and back in Aug 2019, I got a message saying my engine oil was below minimum. I thought that was strange and refilled a quart of engine oil, but was more pre-occupied with trying to solve the stupid squeaking noise, which Bimmerfest accurately helped me with identifying it was from the tensioner system.

Another piece of context that might prove useful in this diagnosis. I bought the X5 from a relative and he maintained the car himself after the 5 year warranty period. He mentioned that he replaced something in the engine that needed to be "sealed" and the part had to do something with the turbo. I reached out to him to see if he could find out which part it was but his memory is a bit hazy on the specifics.

I didn't even notice the leak until I took out the radiator fan. After taking off the fan, and rummaging around the front of the engine, I saw black engine oil everywhere in front of the engine... it looked like a scene from a Tarantino movie! Given the laws of physics, I speculate that the leak is near the upper and front of the engine because there's engine oil up there and I highly doubt a leak from below would get up there.

Given these data points, is there anyone else that has experienced something similar to this? Also, I'm curious about if this repair is something that I should tackle on myself or should I bite the bullet and go to a mechanic? If I go to a mechanic, how much should I expect to pay in CA?

Many thanks!
Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2019, 03:46 PM

Mein Auto:
Please disregard this post, noticed I posted in the wrong thread!

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X3 M, X5 M, X6 M, Z3 M & Z4 M > E70 X5 M and E71 X6 M (2010 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search