BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

BMW to Replace Passenger-side Front Airbags in 2000-06 3 Series, As a Precaution

212K views 313 replies 108 participants last post by  Doug Huffman 
#1 · (Edited)
(E46) BMW airbag inflator recall

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/06/23/airbag-recall-widens-include-bmw-chrysler-ford-and-toyota/

"BMW is recalling an undisclosed number of 325i, 325Xi, 330i and 330Xi models from the 2001 through 2005 model years and the 2001-2006 model year versions of the 325Ci and 330Ci for the driver side and passenger side inflators. Only vehicles currently registered in Florida, Puerto Rico, Hawaii and the US Virgin Islands are covered under this recall."
FULL PRESS RELEASE:

BMW
RECALL Subject : Frontal Air Bag Inflators may Rupture
Report Receipt Date: JUN 20, 2014
NHTSA Campaign Number: 14V348000
Component(s): AIR BAGS
Potential Number of Units Affected: 0
All Products Associated with this Recall
Vehicle Make Model Model Year(s)
BMW 325CI 2001-2006
BMW325I 2001-2005
BMW325XI 2001-2005
BMW330CI 2001-2006
BMW330I 2001-2005
BMW330XI 2001-2005

Details
Manufacturer: BMW of North America, LLC

SUMMARY:
BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is conducting a limited regional recall for certain model year 2001-2005 325i, 325xi, 330i, and 330xi, and 2001-2006 325Ci and 330Ci vehicles currently registered in Florida, Puerto Rico, Hawaii and the U.S. Virgin Islands, and equipped with Takata-brand air bag inflators. Upon deployment of the driver side and/or passenger side frontal air bag, excessive internal pressure may cause the inflator to rupture.

CONSEQUENCE:
In the event of a crash necessitating deployment of either of the frontal air bags, the inflator could rupture with metal fragments striking and potentially seriously injuring the vehicle occupants.

REMEDY:
BMW will notify owners, and dealers will replace the frontal air bag(s) free of charge. This recall is expected to begin during August 2014. Owners may contact BMW Customer Relations at 1-800-525-7417.

NOTES:
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

See less See more
#41 ·
Guess I will be calling tomorrow then. What exactly do they ask for? Registration paper and VIN# correct?

#44 ·
Bump! Just so new members and anyone else that missed this thread knows about the recall.

#45 · (Edited)
I was at a SF Bay Area dealership yesterday for pre paid maintenance on the X5 and asked about the recall. First, the SA said he knew nothing about it (not surprised), then he said that it was only some vehicles and not all. I asked him to look up my VIN and it came up with no recalls. Based on that I am not sure if it is all E46's.
The X5 will be going back for another maintenance dealio in the next 60 to 90 days so I'll ask again if I don't get a recall notice by that time.

#46 · (Edited)
First, the SA said he knew nothing about it (not surprised),
What's shocking is how little the SAs actually know as, I've asked them questions that I later find out the answers to, which they SHOULD know.

So, the fact they say they don't know can only mean one of two things, neither of which is a good thing:
a) They're ignorant of the basics involved with their job, or,
b) They're telling a salesman-style fib.

There are no other options (do you know of any other reason)?

Anyway, I came here for a different purpose, that to give you guys a PDF that is an absolutely fantastic document, which describes how the BMW SRS system airbags are triggered and how they work (from BMW Marketing, no less), but with absolutely gorgeous pictures that anyone trying to better understand this problem can benefit from ...

See also:
- How do BMW Supplemental Restraint Systems (srs, airbag, bst, crush zones, etc.) really work (1) & what is the cheapest usable BMW airbag srs reset/scan tool on the net (1) & what other scan tools reset the fault (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & what can cause a BMW SRS airbag light (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) & a cn90 DIY for replacing the driver seat belt buckle pretensioner and the passenger seat emulator (1) (2) & where to obtain an airbag occupancy sensor bypass unit (0) (1) (2) & what happens when we disconnect the airbag before the battery or we connect the battery before disconnecting the airbag in seat and window regulator repairs (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8)

Attachments

#47 ·
Ive been to my bros house lousiana and I had never seen morning dew and humidity like that and this was in October. Although I think we had them beat here in Illinois today. I called BMW about the recall and the guy said notices should be arriving in the mail.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#48 ·
Here's a New York Times article, published this week, with details as to how we got here.

Takata and Honda reportedly knew about problems with Takata's airbags as early as 2004. After assuring BMW in 2010 that there was not a problem with airbags supplied to BMW, Takata changed its position and informed BMW in 2013 that the airbags might be susceptible to spraying metal fragments at their users.

Air Bag Flaw, Long Known to Honda and Takata, Led to Recalls

#49 ·
So basically what they`re saying is that it`s like a .410 shotgun shell loaded with birdshot going off a foot away from your face....nice....:eek:

#55 ·
I still haven't received mine...:confused:

#61 ·
NY Times article on what happened.

Between late 2001 and late 2002, workers at a Takata factory in Monclova, Mexico, had left out moisture-sensitive explosives on the plant floor, making them prone to "overly energetic combustion,"
Takata engineers next linked the defect to its factory in Moses Lake, Wash. Between 2000 and 2002, a flaw in a machine that presses air bag explosives into wafers had made the explosives unstable
In the following months, Takata engineers came up with yet another explanation for the ruptures: Beginning in September 2001, machine operators at the Moses Lake plant could have inadvertently switched off an "auto reject" function that weeded out poorly made explosives that can become unstable

#69 ·
I guess it depends on when BMW pulled the data from various DMV resources, and how quickly (ha!) each DMV processes the title applications. I'm in NH and sold my car into Maine in July, and I still got the notice for the sold car. However, I bought my new E46 at the same time and I got the notice for that one too... So clearly BMW has current info for one car but not the other, sold at about the same time, but into different states.

I noticed that they include a little card to fill out the new owner's information, which I guess I'll have to do too. And clearly they recognize that many of these cars may have changed hands between when they pulled the data and when the mail is arriving.

#64 · (Edited)
My SRS light came on last Monday. I had just had the car detailed and picked it up so I thought they had done something to my baby. Called the dealership (even with no active recalls) and they told me about this (could be why the light went off). Needless to say i'm taking it in Friday to get looked at!!

I'm in Ontario too btw ... i don't know if it's this specific recall but it would be a pretty big coincidence!

#65 ·
LOL Epic recall fail :)

Got the notice and it reads basically your cars effected by this recall but we dont have any parts to actually put on your car but if we do get some one day we will notify you again.

#70 ·
Just got mine. Now we wait.

Does anyone know if they'll provide loaner cars?

#73 ·
recall update - my take ...

Owned my car for 2 months, still got the recall - impressed, but called dealer and they said "4 weeks before they have parts - call back after you get letter saying parts are in .... "

SO, do I drive the car with no passenger and or the family for a month ...... or ?

Like all are saying a "Good or OK" lawyer should have a heyday with this recall -

one passenger in an accident in the next 4 weeks is going to make a Lawyer a millionaire!

#79 ·
Anybody had there's fixed yet?

I just got my letter this week. Sure would be nice to know approximately when my car will be 'safe' to drive with a passenger again.

Oh, and as I'm in AZ, I guess that rules out the humidity theory :rofl:

#82 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.