BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

My BMW M3 CSL

Tags
bmw csl m3
106K views 78 replies 40 participants last post by  azreal 
#1 · (Edited)

Introduction

BMW E46 M3 CSL. And I finally have one. Buying it was probably one of the most irrational things I have ever done. At the same time, it was definitely one of the best decisions I have ever made.

Ever since I have had it, my heart rate has not been the same. I sleep less. I live more. Good thing I am writing this at a car-enthusiast forum, otherwise you***8217;d think I***8217;m just crazy.

This car has inspired me to drive it, take care of it, study it, photograph it and write about it. My CSL story has been published in BMW CCA Roundel Magazine (Dec 2011) and in BMW Club Finnland Bemaristi Magazine (3/2011). And I have posted this story on internet discussion boards such as Bimmerfest.

When reading, please remember that I am not a car professional, far from one. I am just an average person now driving a much-more-than-average car. The text is about my opinions and findings, and you are welcome to participate in the discussion and offer your point of view.

==================================

Chapter 1: The Specs

In 2003, from June to December, BMW made 1385 CSL versions of the E46 M3. CSL stands for ***8220;Coupe, Sport, Leichtbau***8221;, hinting that BMW had designed a car even faster than the standard E46 M3.

Obviously, it is not easy to improve on an E46 M3, as it already has all the major BMW M features. Therefore, the CSL has small improvements, but lots of them:

1) CSL is lighter
2) CSL has more power
3) CSL has suspension and steering upgrades that improve handling
4) CSL has improved aerodynamics
5) CSL has better grip

All those small improvements together amount to quite a significant performance increase. At the Nürburgring, the E46 M3 has clocked a very impressive lap time of 8:22. The CSL has a time of 7:50. That is a night-and-day difference.

As part of the extensive weight saving program, some equipment was simply left out. There is no navigation, sunroof, fog lights or leather seats. In fact, the car could even be ordered without air-conditioning and a radio, both being quite heavy items to drag around a race-track. And where it really counts, some parts were replaced by much more expensive lightweight items, such as the wheels, front apron, roof, bootlid, rear window and front seats.

To further improve the performance, engine power was increased to 360hp, which is
17hp more than in the standard E46 M3. Suspension, steering and brakes were upgraded. Front splitters and a redesigned bootlid were included to reduce aerodynamic lift. And to perfect the masterpiece, semi-slick Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires were the choice.

BMW still wanted, however, to maintain the everyday usability of the car, so it continued to have some equipment that many sports cars don***8217;t, such as rear seats (that even fold for extra storage capacity), power windows and mirrors, and reading lights for 4 people!

Choosing the exterior color was made easy. Customers could decide between only two colors: Black Sapphire Metallic and Silbergrau Metallic. All CSLs have a grey interior (Stoff Amaretta Reflex Pur Anthrazit) with black roof lining and the same lightweight seats.

There were few choices of optional equipment. Air-conditioning, radio/CD, park distance control, xenon-lights and car alarm were the most important ones. Although they do add weight, most cars still have them.

Instead of the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires, a more conservative wheel and tire set-up was also available for those customers uncomfortable with the idea of semi-slicks.

The CSL bootlid does not have a button that would open it. I guess this saves some grams of weight. Still I have wished a thousand times the button was there. If you don***8217;t have the remote control key with you, there is no way to conveniently open the boot. You***8217;ll have to walk all the way to the cockpit to push a button there. How often do you need to open the boot while sitting in the car? The button would be much more useful at the bootlid itself. The bootlid does have the (heavy!) lock to manually open it with a key, but again you have to have the key in your hand. Have you seen Top Gear***8217;s review of the car? Jeremy Clarkson holds the remote behind his back and secretly presses the button as he opens the boot, making it look very easy. He is quite a magician!

The car in the pictures was manufactured in December of 2003, which was the last month of production. The exterior color is Silbergrau Metallic (A08) and the car has the following extras:

Code Description
S231A DELETION VMAX DOWN-CONTROL
S302A ALARM SYSTEM
S358A CLIMATE COMFORT WINDSCREEN
S423A FLOOR MATS, VELOUR
S428A WARNING TRIANGLE
S502A HEADLIGHT WASHER SYSTEM
S508A PARK DISTANCE CONTROL (PDC)
S521A RAIN SENSOR
S522A XENON LIGHT
S534A AUTOMATIC AIR CONDITIONING
S650A CD PLAYER
S661A RADIO BMW BUSINESS

This picture (like all my pictures) is 100% real, there is no digital manipulation. The midnight sky is illuminated by noctilucent clouds, a treat that my home country of Finland can offer to a CSL driver in search of beauty. (Later in this thread I will tell more about the unbelievable amount of time and effort invested in taking of these photographs.)

Even non-BMW-enthusiasts can tell that the fast car that just overtook them was a CSL, thanks to a badge on the back.

And to ensure that the vehicle is correctly identified from all angles, CSL lettering is also visible on the sides of the car, replacing the M3 badges.

This car is equipped with the optional xenon light and headlight washer system.

A sticker on the windshield reminds the driver that the car is on semi-slicks. Driver should be careful when driving in very wet conditions or when the temperature is below 7°C (45°F).

Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires look very different compared to normal street tires.
Tire sizes are 235/35 ZR19 (front) and 265/30 ZR19 (rear).

Wheels are ***8211; of course ***8211; manufactured by BBS and their measurements are 8.5Jx19 (front) and 9.5Jx19 (rear). The brake discs have a diameter of 345 mm (front) and 328mm (rear).

This car is running on the original ***8220;660***8221; rear wheels that are very sought-after today.

It is a bit funny that while the super-expensive carbon fiber roof is saving some 7 kilograms of weight, the vehicle still has many luxury items that add weight to the roof, such as coat hooks.

Coat hooks even have a cool mechanism that folds them out-of-sight when not needed. And how often are they needed in a CSL?

Illuminated make-up mirrors are a must, so that the driver can immediately fix his/her hair after removing the helmet.

There are reading lights for 4 people. I can understand the ones in the front, for example the co-driver may need to view a map, but I have a feeling that the ones in the back are very rarely used.

CSL also has four power windows as standard. My thinking is that their weight is very close to a manual system. And if the car has been ordered without the air-conditioning, being able to open the rear windows on a hot day can save the race.

Melissa is demonstrating that the correct oil to be used is Castrol TWS Motorsport. Some people may also notice that there is no sound insulation on the inside of the engine hood.

Thank you for reading this far and get ready for Chapter 2 where things get moving!

Anssi

See less See more
#53 · (Edited)
A couple of shots from the 2014 season.

This angle shows how small the car really is. My current daily drive is an F30 and it feels massive compared to the fast, light and small CSL.

Some people don't like PDC because it involves those four holes in the rear bumper. I never gave it much thought before, but having seen this picture I am beginning to get the point.

However, I love the way the instrument panel can be seen through the side window. Yes this car is an authentic German market LHD. For a true BMW enthusiast, this is the only way to go. All documentation is also in German language which is cool. But not very convenient. I do speak German but still I have to admit I find words like Scheinwerferreinigungsanlage a bit funny.

An epic side shot of the CSL:

Take a good look at the wheels. I realized that by driving around I can position both M-badges in the same 6 o'clock position! The picture looks awesome in full resolution, the wheels really make the shot.

Again there is no picture manipulation or Photoshop. Just a lot of preparation and on-location work. I am really happy with the way these pictures turned out.

Hope you enjoy them too!

Anssi

#56 · (Edited)
When you said "Picture Perfect", you were not kidding at all.
Those were not empty words, i was hugely mistaken for thinking otherwise...

Damn this article, and even more Damn the Photos !!! Picture Perfect Indeed !

For the second shot in the original post, you had to "turn off" the rear licence plate light right ;) ? Otherwise it would have shown up in the time exposed shot...

#57 ·
For the second shot in the original post, you had to "turn off" the rear licence plate light right ;) ? Otherwise it would have shown up in the time exposed shot...
Oh yes! Thank you for examining the pictures in such detail.

I usually put black tape on top of the licence plate lights. Otherwise, like you said, they draw a "milky way" between the red lights. In a way, that white light SHOULD be there, to keep things real. But for artistic reasons I almost always block it out as the white light looks a bit confusing in the picture.

Good catch!

Anssi

P.S. The picture required high-precision driving so I asked my friend Aapo to drive while I was taking the photo. Aapo is a genius behind the wheel. Take a look at this video (remember to watch it all the way to the final scene where you can read the text he wrote with his Mustang)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX5fZaxjK0I

#65 ·
Summer of 2015 has been rainy and cold here in Finland. That is bad news, because I don't drive my CSL in the rain.

But I didn't let all that rain bring me down. Instead, I let it inspire me. So one evening we poured water on the ground to make it LOOK like I was driving in the rain. I just love the reflections that water creates. Real water - no Photoshop!

Anssi

#67 ·
awesome write up...really enjoyed reading!

#70 ·
cool video and audio!

#73 ·
#75 ·
awesome pictures!!

#77 ·
Thank you Matthew424 and ryan330ci!

Click on this link to see an epic timelapse video, featuring my M3 CSL!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BL8VOZnA3II/

Starring: Severi Aho @severi.aho
Car owner and video: Anssi Ranki @anssiranki
Music and aerial camera: Petri Rahja @prahja
Copyright © 2016 Anssi Ranki

Hope you like it! And happy holidays to everyone!

Anssi

#78 ·

Introduction

BMW E46 M3 CSL. And I finally have one. Buying it was probably one of the most irrational things I have ever done. At the same time, it was definitely one of the best decisions I have ever made.

Ever since I have had it, my heart rate has not been the same. I sleep less. I live more. Good thing I am writing this at a car-enthusiast forum, otherwise you***8217;d think I***8217;m just crazy.

This car has inspired me to drive it, take care of it, study it, photograph it and write about it. My CSL story has been published in BMW CCA Roundel Magazine (Dec 2011) and in BMW Club Finnland Bemaristi Magazine (3/2011). And I have posted this story on internet discussion boards such as Bimmerfest.

When reading, please remember that I am not a car professional, far from one. I am just an average person now driving a much-more-than-average car. The text is about my opinions and findings, and you are welcome to participate in the discussion and offer your point of view.

Chapter 1: The Specs

In 2003, from June to December, BMW made 1385 CSL versions of the E46 M3. CSL stands for ***8220;Coupe, Sport, Leichtbau***8221;, hinting that BMW had designed a car even faster than the standard E46 M3.

Obviously, it is not easy to improve on an E46 M3, as it already has all the major BMW M features. Therefore, the CSL has small improvements, but lots of them:

1) CSL is lighter
2) CSL has more power
3) CSL has suspension and steering upgrades that improve handling
4) CSL has improved aerodynamics
5) CSL has better grip

All those small improvements together amount to quite a significant performance increase. At the Nürburgring, the E46 M3 has clocked a very impressive lap time of 8:22. The CSL has a time of 7:50. That is a night-and-day difference.

As part of the extensive weight saving program, some equipment was simply left out. There is no navigation, sunroof, fog lights or leather seats. In fact, the car could even be ordered without air-conditioning and a radio, both being quite heavy items to drag around a race-track. And where it really counts, some parts were replaced by much more expensive lightweight items, such as the wheels, front apron, roof, bootlid, rear window and front seats.

To further improve the performance, engine power was increased to 360hp, which is
17hp more than in the standard E46 M3. Suspension, steering and brakes were upgraded. Front splitters and a redesigned bootlid were included to reduce aerodynamic lift. And to perfect the masterpiece, semi-slick Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires were the choice.

BMW still wanted, however, to maintain the everyday usability of the car, so it continued to have some equipment that many sports cars don***8217;t, such as rear seats (that even fold for extra storage capacity), power windows and mirrors, and reading lights for 4 people!

Choosing the exterior color was made easy. Customers could decide between only two colors: Black Sapphire Metallic and Silbergrau Metallic. All CSLs have a grey interior (Stoff Amaretta Reflex Pur Anthrazit) with black roof lining and the same lightweight seats.

There were few choices of optional equipment. Air-conditioning, radio/CD, park distance control, xenon-lights and car alarm were the most important ones. Although they do add weight, most cars still have them.

Instead of the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires, a more conservative wheel and tire set-up was also available for those customers uncomfortable with the idea of semi-slicks.

The CSL bootlid does not have a button that would open it. I guess this saves some grams of weight. Still I have wished a thousand times the button was there. If you don***8217;t have the remote control key with you, there is no way to conveniently open the boot. You***8217;ll have to walk all the way to the cockpit to push a button there. How often do you need to open the boot while sitting in the car? The button would be much more useful at the bootlid itself. The bootlid does have the (heavy!) lock to manually open it with a key, but again you have to have the key in your hand. Have you seen Top Gear***8217;s review of the car? Jeremy Clarkson holds the remote behind his back and secretly presses the button as he opens the boot, making it look very easy. He is quite a magician!

The car in the pictures was manufactured in December of 2003, which was the last month of production. The exterior color is Silbergrau Metallic (A08) and the car has the following extras:

Code Description
S231A DELETION VMAX DOWN-CONTROL
S302A ALARM SYSTEM
S358A CLIMATE COMFORT WINDSCREEN
S423A FLOOR MATS, VELOUR
S428A WARNING TRIANGLE
S502A HEADLIGHT WASHER SYSTEM
S508A PARK DISTANCE CONTROL (PDC)
S521A RAIN SENSOR
S522A XENON LIGHT
S534A AUTOMATIC AIR CONDITIONING
S650A CD PLAYER
S661A RADIO BMW BUSINESS

This picture (like all my pictures) is 100% real, there is no digital manipulation. The midnight sky is illuminated by noctilucent clouds, a treat that my home country of Finland can offer to a CSL driver in search of beauty. (Later in this thread I will tell more about the unbelievable amount of time and effort invested in taking of these photographs.)

Even non-BMW-enthusiasts can tell that the fast car that just overtook them was a CSL, thanks to a badge on the back.

And to ensure that the vehicle is correctly identified from all angles, CSL lettering is also visible on the sides of the car, replacing the M3 badges.

This car is equipped with the optional xenon light and headlight washer system.

A sticker on the windshield reminds the driver that the car is on semi-slicks. Driver should be careful when driving in very wet conditions or when the temperature is below 7°C (45°F).

Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires look very different compared to normal street tires.
Tire sizes are 235/35 ZR19 (front) and 265/30 ZR19 (rear).

Wheels are ***8211; of course ***8211; manufactured by BBS and their measurements are 8.5Jx19 (front) and 9.5Jx19 (rear). The brake discs have a diameter of 345 mm (front) and 328mm (rear).

This car is running on the original ***8220;660***8221; rear wheels that are very sought-after today.

It is a bit funny that while the super-expensive carbon fiber roof is saving some 7 kilograms of weight, the vehicle still has many luxury items that add weight to the roof, such as coat hooks.

Coat hooks even have a cool mechanism that folds them out-of-sight when not needed. And how often are they needed in a CSL?

Illuminated make-up mirrors are a must, so that the driver can immediately fix his/her hair after removing the helmet.

There are reading lights for 4 people. I can understand the ones in the front, for example the co-driver may need to view a map, but I have a feeling that the ones in the back are very rarely used.

CSL also has four power windows as standard. My thinking is that their weight is very close to a manual system. And if the car has been ordered without the air-conditioning, being able to open the rear windows on a hot day can save the race.

Melissa is demonstrating that the correct oil to be used is Castrol TWS Motorsport. Some people may also notice that there is no sound insulation on the inside of the engine hood.

Thank you for reading this far and get ready for Chapter 2 where things get moving!

Anssi
Where are the photos??!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.