Covid-19. Where's your head at on this??? - Page 36 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. **Note** - Political posting is not allowed (or welcome) at Bimmerfest.

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2020, 03:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
Once the dumb mass hysteria pandemic pandemonium has passed then these resources will become an expense and a sunk-money loss.
The pathogenesis was unclear when every governor demanded ventilators at the beginning, and front lines following SARS/MERS protocols with ventilators saw 80% death rates.

It can be argued the next round of pandemics can behave similar to SARS/MERS, and ventilators(that go back to national/state stockpiles) can be back in vogue again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2020, 03:58 PM

Apparently the national stockpile was depleted/drained in 2009(H1N1 time?), and there has been no funding for 11 years to replenish.

Why have 3 administrations ignored the depleted stockpile for 11 years?

My thinking is that dumb mass hysteria pandemic pandemonium, or "just a flu" sentiment, that is popular on this thread, can be one culprit.
Old 05-11-2020, 04:08 PM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
My thinking is that dumb mass hysteria pandemic pandemonium, or "just a flu" sentiment, that is popular on this thread, can be one culprit.
Sentiment rarely moves a human. Money and fear of harder work does. I believe the reason for any failure like this is simple:
  1. it would cost too damn much money, (cause man gotta make his own)
  2. there was no current reason to be scared, and
  3. it'd be too hard to try to get people to agree that they should spend the money cause
  4. See #1
Rinse/repeat across the *human* condition rather than a political one

Last edited by PropellerHead; 05-11-2020 at 04:10 PM.
Old 05-11-2020, 04:08 PM

Mein Auto: 1987 BMW 535is 2008 E64
Found this guy again (circa 2014):
Understanding the Risk of Bat Coronavirus Emergence Novel zoonotic, bat-origin CoVs are a significant threat to global health and food security, as the cause of SARS in China in 2002, the ongoing outbreak of MERS, and of a newly emerged Swine Acute Diarrhea Syndrome in China. In a previous R01 we found that bats in southern China harbor an extraordinary diversity of SARSr-CoVs, some of which can use human ACE2 to enter cells, infect humanized mouse models causing SARS-like illness, and evade available therapies or vaccines. We found that people living close to bat habitats are the primary risk groups for spillover, that at one site diverse SARSr-CoVs exist that contain every genetic element of the SARS-CoV genome, and identified serological evidence of human exposure among people living nearby. These findings have led to 18 published peer-reviewed papers, including two papers in Nature, and a review in Cell. Yet salient questions remain on the origin, diversity, capacity to cause illness, and risk of spillover of these viruses. In this R01 renewal we will address these issues through 3 specific aims:
https://grantome.com/grant/NIH/R01-AI110964-06

https://www.tedmed.com/talks/show?id=7047

The folly of man
Old 05-11-2020, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PropellerHead View Post
Shhh! That kinda crap cant sow dissonance and lead everyone else into our own, lonely misery where we seek the one thing misery loves. Company! It sure as hell can't sell adds.
Leading everyone else into our own works when most spend the time to understand the facts and science, and adjust collectively.

That works very well in our locales, but not the norm in some other locations as reported in the news.
Old 05-11-2020, 04:10 PM

Some folks are into Chinese propaganda
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

Old 05-11-2020, 04:11 PM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
TED is glib nonsense.

Wow @ "the folly of man"! Just last night watched The Da Vinci Code!
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 05-11-2020, 04:16 PM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Quote:
That works very well in our locales, but not the norm in some other locations as reported in the news.
You're suggesting that violence is the 'norm' in some locations? Score one for the news media.
Old 05-11-2020, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Sentiment rarely moves a human. Money and fear of harder work does. I believe the reason for any failure like this is simple:
  1. it would cost too damn much money, (cause man gotta make his own)
  2. there was no current reason to be scared, and
  3. it'd be too hard to try to get people to agree that they should spend the money cause
  4. See #1
Rinse/repeat across the *human* condition rather than a political one
There is truth that resources are finite and there are many problems that need attention.

On that note, a public health person(not the popular names) commented that public health is supposedly to be invisible when it works.

As a result, public health tends to get budget cut first, since its importance is hard to measure.

Well it looks like there is no free lunch, the price is still paid one way or another ....
Old 05-11-2020, 04:19 PM

Quote:
You're suggesting that violence is the 'norm' in some locations? Score one for the news media.
No the norm is w.r.t. to collectively adjust to mask wearing(and other self initiated measures), not violence from mask or otherwise.
Old 05-11-2020, 04:28 PM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Quote:
Well it looks like there is no free lunch, the price is still paid one way or another ....
Exactly! So we can spend hours breathlessly combing through what (we're gonna swear) really happened. Then, let's have ginormous pointless debate about whether or not the players wore pink or blue jerseys. Then, based on whether we like pink or blue better, let's assign blame for why it happened.

Anyone wanna know why nothing happened about XYZ? (or whatever is today's exhaustive shortfall of mankind's effort to govern) It's cause THAT mental masturbation above is way *easier* than actually getting each other off of our collective asses and motivated to get work done.

Instead of saving the child, indict the parents for making poor choices. And convict him before he's left his thumb.
Old 05-11-2020, 04:32 PM

Mein Auto: E93,E36 M3,E39,E46
In the meantime, it's going to be 104 į here in the Mediterranean over the weekend. Should kill the virus.

Last edited by Dio///M; 05-11-2020 at 04:40 PM.
Old 05-11-2020, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Exactly! So we can spend hours breathlessly combing through what (we're gonna swear) really happened. Then, let's have ginormous pointless debate about whether or not the players wore pink or blue jerseys. Then, based on whether we like pink or blue better, let's assign blame for why it happened.
The different colors are just noise, it is basically street smart/street sense or lack of.

To paraphrase, from my perspective, the current outcome has been driven by how the system has been setup to for decades, and the professionals and apparatus have been performing per spec(e.g. when scope is, say, one or two states) given the circumstances, and didn't get realigned until wartime standing was declared.

And the general mass has not been conditioned like those in Taiwan/HK/South Korea, hence there was no street smart, collective response, early enough(e.g. @NYC).

Now that the price has been paid, the mass and govts will self initiate quickly in next round.
Old 05-11-2020, 04:45 PM

Quote:
TED is glib nonsense.

Wow @ "the folly of man"! Just last night watched The Da Vinci Code!
Seemed to work for the CIA:

Could help in your everyday life too:

I can tell you're not much on irony.
Old 05-11-2020, 05:09 PM
30 year Mech E

Mein Auto: 2004 330i 2007 335i
Quote:
At this moment, given the lessons learnt and tuition(i.e. lives) paid, the resistance to mask wearing has reduced a lot.
I wear the hardware store dust masks that hook onto your ears because
-my Asian FIL gave us some of his stockpile.
-I have to in order to shop for food and upper suspension arms.

I save the "good" masks I've had for years, the ones with 2 elastics all the way around your head that seal better to your face and filter to a higher level (not neccessarily N95) for when my daughter and I are running CAT-5 or insulating the plumbing under the house or in the attic. Both places make me cough and sneeze.

Picture me in a chair with one of those "convince me I'm wrong" signs... The virus is < 1 micron. The inadequate filtration level of the cheap over the ears dust masks is largely irrelevant because there is a gap at each cheek I could stick a pinky through. A portion of the air I inhale bypasses the filtration entirely.

If I had THE 'RONA, perhaps some of my cough spew would be stopped from spreading because of such a mask, but far from all of it. It would probably squirt out at 4 and 8 o'clock past my cheeks.

But I don't have THE 'RONA. Yes, I could be carrying it without symptoms in which case, yes I am a dick. But it doesn't matter. Any time I approach the doorway of a store, the petri dish of a mask goes back on so everyone feels safe.

If my wife would let me I would sell them all on craigslist.

Hey why hasn't K&N come out with a THE 'RONA face filter you can wash, spray with sticky oil, and re-use? That makes more sense than putting hot air intakes into a 335i and trying to sell it to me.

Last edited by wankel boy; 05-11-2020 at 05:44 PM.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:01 PM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Quote:
Now that the price has been paid, the mass and govts will self initiate quickly in next round.
Love the optimism. Don't share it. Do love it.
Old 05-11-2020, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel boy View Post
Picture me in a chair with one of those "convince me I'm wrong" signs... The virus is < 1 micron. The inadequate filtration level of the cheap over the ears dust masks is largely irrelevant because there is a gap at each cheek I could stick a pinky through. A portion of the air I inhale bypasses the filtration entirely.

If I had THE 'RONA, perhaps some of my cough spew would be stopped from spreading because of such a mask, but far from all of it. It would probably squirt out at 4 and 8 o'clock past my cheeks.
Dependent on quality of mask(e.g. surgical grade), the forward spread appears to be reduced.

If both parties wear masks, and each mask provides, say, 90% protection(or 10% getting through), then the chance to catch something is 10% x 10% = 1%?
Old 05-12-2020, 04:07 AM
Nuclear engineer

Quote:
Listening to WTMJ 620 AM Murkee Urinal Sentinel blowhard radio station this morning as I was running garbage and recyclables to the dump, I heard a commercial advertisement for yet another newly approved COVID genetics test. Part of the spiel was that "we must test all Americans."

A hypothetical benefit of this dumb mass hysteria pandemic pandemonium is that some may learn of statistical significance and specificity and sensitivity. The tout admitted a high false negative rate due to the speed of the test.
And here is a media announcement.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-...screening.html

What a commercial opportunity, only works in Qidelís machine.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 05-12-2020, 05:14 AM
Nuclear engineer

Lockdown Fail in one easy graph. Very interesting and good sources.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2020/05/...ne-easy-graph/

https://cocalc.com

I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 05-12-2020 at 05:52 AM.
Old 05-12-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2020/05/...ne-easy-graph/

https://cocalc.com

I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
This is an interesting graph:

"But, but, butÖ. Correlation is not causation! States could have locked down more tightly in response to the infections! The lockdown rating was as of April 6, 2020 and the infection data are as of May 11, 2020."

How is lockdown rating computed?

Also the graph does not address the fact that with lock-downs, transmissions from hard-hit areas(e.g. NYC) to rest of country are slowed, hence the rest are not as hard-hit.

Last edited by namelessman; 05-12-2020 at 10:35 AM.
Old 05-12-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
In fact, the one thing that HASNíT happened is/are riots or other person-on-person crimes related to COVID.
It depends on where one looks. Mainstream media usually ignores these issues, many colleagues are susceptible to these, and local authorities and PD's try to stay ahead.

https://www.adl.org/blog/reports-of-...avirus-spreads

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/03/...9-hate-crimes/
Old 05-12-2020, 10:52 AM

This is another article and video related to COVID incidents.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronav...imes-tracking/
Old 05-12-2020, 01:11 PM
30 year Mech E

Mein Auto: 2004 330i 2007 335i
Quote:
This is another article and video related to COVID incidents.
I only know what I have seen and that's people being nice to each other. No one seems to do news clips about that because it's not scary.
Old 05-12-2020, 01:12 PM
Law Enforcer

Mein Auto: 2017 Indv. Nardo Grey M4
Covid-19. Where's your head at on this???

I saw my first x-ray of COVID lungs today. They were white (...normal lung X-ray images are black), indicating lots of fluid. The male will likely pass. He had a 104 degree fever for 8 days and his oxygen saturation was at 40%. Iíll try to get a picture next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

Last edited by M3Inline6; 05-12-2020 at 01:15 PM.
Old 05-12-2020, 01:38 PM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel boy View Post
I only know what I have seen and that's people being nice to each other. No one seems to do news clips about that because it's not scary.
+1

I saw the same people are scary video farmed out across 2 incidents. I believe the playbook for the message is something like this:

Bad news:
  • has to come from a state that is opening more quickly (or slowly) than the author (or his bosses) think they should.
  • has to be from a state that voted or is currently led by the 'other' team of the media outlet's political alignment
    • the state will be either the victim or the culprit. This depends solely on how the house feelz ab the federal government (as it is led today anyway.) Underlying message: "Things'll get better when 'our' guy can work without 'their' guy."
  • would be SO much better (you know for click baits) if there's ANY chance the skin colors of a victim and assailant can be different. This isn't hard and fast as long as the story is from one of those 'bad' states.
    • Bonus points if it fits the labels we've cultivated about the South, Unions, or California.
    • Failing this, look for some deeper racial angle and dive, dive dive till you find blood. Then smear, smear, smear.
  • Gimme Gimme Gimme a weapon. Bigger and blacker the better. Unless of course weapons are good with the house reporting.
  • targets the *negative* affect on the media darlings of the moment. ie: We don't care so much ab 1st responders this time as we do nurses and doctors and old people. And other people's kids. ALWAYS kids! The public understand. We've conditioned them well.
  • needs a hate group so badly that the story will hinge on asphalt oil stains that take the image of...(name the 1st offensive symbol or person that pops up)
  • mentions medical experts so much that the author begins to sound like one.. but only just as the spin takes hold. This is media GOLD! Jerry! GOLD!
Talk about life imitating art.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gold.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	892171  

Last edited by PropellerHead; 05-12-2020 at 02:07 PM.
Closed Thread

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic
Today's Posts Search