2003 325i Not Starting - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 02-17-2015, 03:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 325i
2003 325i Not Starting

Hey everyone,

So I recently bought my 2003 325i manual transmission, drove perfectly fine for the about 2 weeks or so that I've had it and then the other day I when to drive it, it did not start. I am sure that it is not the battery. I've checked it, took it to auto zone etc.

When I try to start the car it is as if I was not pushing in the clutch, lights and radio come on but the engine does not turn over.

I've tried all 3 of the keys the two master keys are charged and still unlock the doors via the button, the car does not have the factory alarm (doesn't beep when I lock or unlock the car with the button) So far I am pretty sure I have it down to being the starter, or something with the EWS. I bought a Peake R5/FCX-3 code reader to try and help figure out why its not starting and here are the following codes

Table 20
c2796 -Electronic throttle controller: adaption wrong
c2883 -Mixture preparation bank 2
c27C3 -Thermal oil level sensor

Thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2015, 05:21 PM
Team Zippy

Mein Auto: 2000 328Ci
How old is the battery? Are there any markings on it? You will hear from everyone else that if it's old enough and goes, it will light things up, but you will not be able to start it.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1011677

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ailing-battery

Last edited by Brucifer325; 02-17-2015 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:32 PM

The battery is 5 years old to my surprise, that first link you shared i already checked it out and thats how i figured that was not the problem. the battery was reading like 12.4 V, Also tried jumping the car and that wouldn't do the trick. there was another thread that was telling how to trouble shoot the starter, so far that seems to be the cause, I will be fixing that tomorrow I'll update as i go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2015, 11:46 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brand_Os View Post
The battery is 5 years old to my surprise, that first link you shared i already checked it out and thats how i figured that was not the problem. the battery was reading like 12.4 V, Also tried jumping the car and that wouldn't do the trick. there was another thread that was telling how to trouble shoot the starter, so far that seems to be the cause, I will be fixing that tomorrow I'll update as i go.
Just because a battery meters 12+ volts across the terminals does NOT necessarily mean "it`s good". It could have 12+ volts, and NO cranking amps, which is the important part of the equation....any battery beyond 4 years old should go immediately to the head of The Usual Suspects List, especially now that the cold weather is here, that`s normally when marginal (old) batteries are most likely to crap out....

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 02-18-2015, 12:02 AM

Well not so much cold weather here (AZ) but We did try jumping the starter with a separate battery and it still got no results, but anyways I can check the amps as well at the starter, if that would help
Old 02-18-2015, 12:07 AM

Oh i also forgot to mention that there isn't even a click from the starter from any of the times we have tried it. Thanks again for the Help
Old 02-20-2015, 08:36 PM

So I got the starter tested at autozone they says it passed but "a little slow" battery was said to be at 60 ish percent. So I replaced the battery. Car had a very slow start up. We did charge the old battery before buying the new one and it did the same thing a slow start up. Now I am home with the car and it again is not starting with the brand new battery which is only like 30 cold amp difference. Any ideas?
Old 02-20-2015, 08:52 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brand_Os View Post
So I got the starter tested at autozone they says it passed but "a little slow" battery was said to be at 60 ish percent. So I replaced the battery. Car had a very slow start up. We did charge the old battery before buying the new one and it did the same thing a slow start up. Now I am home with the car and it again is not starting with the brand new battery which is only like 30 cold amp difference. Any ideas?
Back to basics....check your grounds, could be something simple like that.

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 02-21-2015, 02:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
Do know that autozone, et al are notorous for testing starters, alternators, and batteries good when they are actually less than adequate.

Do explore your grounds, but suspect your starter still.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
325i 2003, not starting, not starting problem, peake research

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search