07 E66 Trans and Starting Problems - Please Help - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion of BMW's 4th generation E65/E66 7 Series flagship. The E65 generated much controversy, due to its radical styling and iDrive user difficulties. Nonetheless, the E65 broke records to become the best-selling 7-series iteration ever, especially after its 2005 facelift.

Old 09-12-2015, 01:18 PM

Mein Auto: 750 Li
Question 07 E66 Trans and Starting Problems - Please Help

I have an 07 E66 750Li. Since I have had it, i have had these major problems addressed

Valve Guide Seals 75xxx mi
ECU to Fix Trans issues 50xxxx mi
Mechatronix Leak Replaced 80xxx mi

Now at 134xxx
The vehicle has been very reliable until earlier this month. It would start up fine in the morning drive ok then later on in the morning it wouldn't start. With a single click when pressing the button. It seemed to do it as the day got hotter, but I am not sure. To get going again I would disconnect the battery from the clip in the right rear access panel in the trunk wait 3 minutes and it would usually start otherwise I would have to jump it.

It's new trick is to go into transmission fault "limp home" mode. It does this under normal driving (stop and go and a couple of time driving on the highway under cruise control). Once again pull over turn off the vehicle for 2-3 minutes and all is fine, if it starts great, if not then see problem 1.

Also the error displayed on I-drive says that other gears can be engaged by "NOT" hitting the brake, but that doesn't work either.

We read the codes with a Matco MaxxGo reader and it is indicating low voltage for the TCM and other systems like Instrument Cluster and maybe CAS I can't remember all of them.

We have replaced the
Battery and Registered the replacement
Alternator w/ 180a replacement.

While driving the alternator is showing 14.7v at 57-65a.

This vehicle is now very unreliable stranding me and my wife several times a day. Does anyone have a suggestion of what to do next.

Please help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2015, 01:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 750l
Sounds like the integrated supply module. Lot's of posts on here about how to change them and all the problems you can expect when they go bad. Good news is they aren't that expensive and you can change it yourself in about 20 minutes. Best part is you don't have to disconnect the battery and there is no recording required so once it's swapped out you're back in business.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Old 09-12-2015, 01:49 PM

The integrated supply module should completely fix the no starting issue, but you may also have a leaking bridge seal between the top of the mechatronic unit and the bottom of the transmission as well if they didn't change it when they fixed the leaking mechatronic seal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2015, 02:09 PM

If I wanted to get the integrated supply module is that something that I can go to the parts store and pickup or does it have to be ordered. Is their a better name for it?
Old 09-12-2015, 02:13 PM

The local auto parts stores don't carry them but BMW and lots of places online sell them.

I'd call a BMW parts dept give them your VIN and have them verify the part number but I believe they all take:

12527510638 INTERGRATED SUPPLY MODULE

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Old 09-12-2015, 04:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 750i
The guy that suggested the IVM Integrated Supply Module has given you great advice. I put up with a lot of tranny faults for months, taking the IVM module off, cleaning the connectors, taking the unit apart and looking for cold solder joints and the car always gave many tranny faults, sometimes fatal ones that you could not recover from by simply turning the car off and back on (these faults required to delete all errors in INPA to get the tranny out of its permanent safe mode). Anyhow, I decided that a $90 ebay purchase was worth trying and I was glad I did. My tranny faults went from about 10 per day to about 1 or 2 per month.

PLEASE NOTE: YOU MUST DISCONNECT THE BATTERY AND WAIT 30 MINUTES BEFORE MESSING WITH THE IVM INTEGRATED SUPPLY MODULE (THERE ARE FEEDS TO THE AIRBAGS AND MOST SYSTEMS IN THERE AND YOU DO NOT WANT TO TRIGGER AN AIRBAG BY MISTAKE).

Last edited by Marcelo11; 09-12-2015 at 04:38 PM.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:35 AM

I hate to disagree with good advise others post, but having changed out more than a dozen of these, I can assure you that you DON'T need to disconnect the battery. Just unplug the connectors remove the old one and plug the new one in and you're done. (There are lots of cautionary warnings out there designed to keep us from doing silly things that could set off the airbags. Just don't use any metal tools to pry the electrical connectors apart that could short circuit between anything and there is zero risk of activating the airbags)

Last edited by Ltmax; 09-13-2015 at 06:38 AM.
Old 09-25-2015, 12:18 PM

Update to the problem / resolution

Thank you everyone for the replies. Here is what has transpired. BTW I have waited a week to write this "knock on wood"....

Anyway I went to pull the ISM to get a part number. Since I am an IT professional the first thing I did was to reseat all the cable connections and make sure all the fuse looking things were securely seated as well. I didn't remove the fuse things just press them in to make sure they were secure. Since I have done this I have not had one transmission fault or no start event. "Knocking on wood now" I didn't go ahead an order a replacement ISM yet. When I do i will probably replace the power module in the back at the same time. I am just HAPPY that my 7 is back to its old reliable self. I had ZERO trouble out of that vehicle for over 3 years and 80k miles.

So once again. THANK YOU!

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
e66 trans fault, not starting problem

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Today's Posts Search