Non-run flats = void transfer case warranty? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 01-26-2018, 12:53 PM
Fool on the Hill

Mein Auto: x5 xDrive 35d 2013
Non-run flats = void transfer case warranty?

I was talking to a BMW service adviser today. I mentioned my intention, next tire replacement, to use non run flats. She said that BMW approved tires for the E70 only includes run flats, and that if I use non run flats and the transfer case needs warranty work, the warranty claim will be denied.

Anyone else know of this? And what is the rationale? Really wanted the DWS 06 next time around. Ironic, as my vehicle has the optional spare tire and jack kit.
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2018, 01:04 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliwatt Rob View Post
I was talking to a BMW service adviser today. I mentioned my intention, next tire replacement, to use non run flats. She said that BMW approved tires for the E70 only includes run flats, and that if I use non run flats and the transfer case needs warranty work, the warranty claim will be denied.

Anyone else know of this? And what is the rationale? Really wanted the DWS 06 next time around. Ironic, as my vehicle has the optional spare tire and jack kit.
IMO, that's a scare tactic and you need to talk to the service manager, and/or BMWNA.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d | 2020 530xe
Get a new SA.
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2018, 01:52 PM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
I believe that the The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (P.L. 93-637, 15 U.S.C. § 2301 et seq.) prohibits such.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:20 PM

Mein Auto: 328i xDrive 6MT
Quote:

Talk to manager and ask them is that dealership tactics and if not, how is possible for dealership to employ person like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-26-2018, 03:26 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
[edited to avoid a careless gender stereotype]

The 'run flattedness' of a tire cannot lead to damage, hence they cannot legally refuse a claim.

A stupid SA can write it up wrong, take a poor posiiton, cause issues with BMWNA, cause you heart ache, even lead to legal expenses....

So I would ask for a quick meeting with the service MANAGER with the SA in attendance, and ask for a clarification. 'Same size tires, just not run flat- will this void the warranty?' If the manager doubles down on the stupid, time for a new dealership.

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM

Last edited by ard; 01-26-2018 at 11:10 PM.
Old 01-26-2018, 04:07 PM

Mein Auto: Diesel
Idiocy. I can see making a point that staggered tires could void a warranty, except (oops!) that was a factory option.

Last edited by dzlbimmer; 01-27-2018 at 12:23 AM.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 x35d
What a clown
Old 01-26-2018, 11:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 4.4/2013 650ix GC
Even before responding to her statment that non RFTs void warranty...a simple verification about BMW tire recommendations would have revealed that her originating premise was incorrect. BMW offers non RFT tires as an option in their part database as well as a spare wheel/emergency wheel. So if that was wrong...the fail continues to cascade to her 2nd premise about voiding warranty.

Sometimes in life, you just need to step away, then avoid stupid people. You don't have to be mean, just politely nod & smile, then say thankyou...yet knowing they don't have a clue but you're thankful you had the sense to recognize a boob.

Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 2013 F06 650ix Gran Coupe` (Black Sapphire) 1/13 mfg date
(SOLD)
97 740iL (Arctic Silver) <<~>> 99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=637911&d=1538398374&thumb=1&stc=1

Last edited by QSilver7; 01-27-2018 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-27-2018, 12:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 35D
Sometimes, service advisers are new and clueless. So, they take the safest route, for no reason. Makes you question "advisory" part of the job title.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:43 AM

Mein Auto: 4 BMWs, 1 Mini, 1 Vespa
SA’s are sales people. You tell her you’re thinking of buying tires. She has tires for sale but the tires you tell her you want to buy, she doesn’t have. How does she save the deal and get you to buy her tires? FUD: fear uncertainty doubt. Typical sales tactic.
She’s just doing her job.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest
2013 Cooper S
2007 650i - 6 speed
2002 330ci convertible - 5 speed

Past:
2012 X5 Diesel
2012 Countryman S All4 - 6 speed
2006 Cooper S - 6 speed
2006 330i - 6 speed
1997 328is - 5 speed
1991 318is - 5 speed
1988 635csi - 5 speed
1988 325i convertible - 5 speed
1969 2002 with tii and 5 speed conversions
Old 01-27-2018, 07:03 AM
Nuclear engineer

Never take advice from a salesperson tout.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 01-27-2018, 07:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d | 2020 530xe
Anyone know how SA's are compensated? I know their customer follow up reviews are a large part of their compensation, and I didn't think they made any commission on service sales..
Old 01-27-2018, 07:16 PM
Fool on the Hill

My Google search of the subject turned up another such story.....apparently, the theory is, if you have a flat, your two tires have different rolling radii. And if that damaged the transfer case, the repair would not be covered.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=466304
Old 01-27-2018, 08:25 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
My Google search of the subject turned up another such story.....apparently, the theory is, if you have a flat, your two tires have different rolling radii. And if that damaged the transfer case, the repair would not be covered.

"another" such story??

What is the 'first' story you are referencing????
\

I know everyone in this thread, ALL of them would tell you "you need to keep diameters the same, you cannot mix sizes- that CAN cause damage"...had you asked a question about mixing tire sizes.

what does that have to do with changing all tires to a non-run flt, or other non-BMW approved tire?

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

Old 01-28-2018, 04:43 AM

Quote:

By that theory all AWD cars have RFT.
TC is not going to die bcs there is bit of loss in pressure. You stop and change tire. If you do not stop, well there are other issues that comes to my mind.

Old 01-28-2018, 05:08 AM
Fool on the Hill

First of all, I am not asserting or defending this theory. My original question was whether anyone else had heard of it, and if so, what the rationale was.

If a BMW XDrive transfer case is so fragile that it is "irreparably destroyed" in a flat tire incident, as far as I am concerned, its a defective product under-designed for real world driving.

I agree on service advisers being nothing but service and parts salesmen. And in this case, saleswomen. This was my first encounter with this dealer (BMW of Flemington New Jersey), and the first service not under the "free" four year 50,000 milw "free scheduled service" plan. I still had an indicated 3000 miles left on the present oil, but my 999 mile DEF count down had begun and I was away from home. This service adviser tried to charge me much more for an oil change than what the dealer itself advertised on its web site (she claimed lack of knowledge of the web site as "we don't get many diesels"), plus charged me additional money for the DEF refill, which I always believed was automatic and included in every diesel oil change. I plan to contact BMWNA about that.

I don't think I should have gotten the 999 mile DEF count down only 7000 miles after the last "free" oil change. Indicates to me the prior dealer skipped the DEF refill.

Overall, I am not impressed with BMW dealer service, and will go independent when needing service near my home base.

And yes, still planning on fitting DWS 06 tires for the next set of new shoes.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:17 AM
Nuclear engineer

It is interesting that there is coincidentally this ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owego View Post
(2018 x3i) Does running on a doughnut spare, or a flat run-flat, cause excessive wear on the differential(s) in xDrive cars ? Seems to me the differences in circumference and rolling resistance would put a lot demands on the differential.

Tom
!

Old 01-28-2018, 08:13 AM

Non-run flats = void transfer case warranty?

Quote:
First of all, I am not asserting or defending this theory. My original question was whether anyone else had heard of it, and if so, what the rationale was.

If a BMW XDrive transfer case is so fragile that it is "irreparably destroyed" in a flat tire incident, as far as I am concerned, its a defective product under-designed for real world driving.

I agree on service advisers being nothing but service and parts salesmen. And in this case, saleswomen. This was my first encounter with this dealer (BMW of Flemington New Jersey), and the first service not under the "free" four year 50,000 milw "free scheduled service" plan. I still had an indicated 3000 miles left on the present oil, but my 999 mile DEF count down had begun and I was away from home. This service adviser tried to charge me much more for an oil change than what the dealer itself advertised on its web site (she claimed lack of knowledge of the web site as "we don't get many diesels"), plus charged me additional money for the DEF refill, which I always believed was automatic and included in every diesel oil change. I plan to contact BMWNA about that.

I don't think I should have gotten the 999 mile DEF count down only 7000 miles after the last "free" oil change. Indicates to me the prior dealer skipped the DEF refill.

Overall, I am not impressed with BMW dealer service, and will go independent when needing service near my home base.

And yes, still planning on fitting DWS 06 tires for the next set of new shoes.

Oh man, wait for more stuff from dealership. You should go to dealership ONLY if it is absolutely necessary or someone puts a gun to your head. By the way, X5 with 5 seats have a spare tire storage and BMW sells spare for it (I have).
DEF, you sure it is not active tank throwing code bcs of heater failing inside?

Last edited by edycol; 01-28-2018 at 09:23 AM.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:33 PM
gatorjaws

Mein Auto: 2013 x5 35d
she must have been very attractive for you to walk away without calling "bull****"!!!
Old 01-29-2018, 10:31 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
plus charged me additional money for the DEF refill, which I always believed was automatic and included in every diesel oil change. I plan to contact BMWNA about that..
Wait- this was a 'paid service'?

DEF isnt included with an oil change. An oil change is an oil change; DEF is DEF.

Yes, when under the free maintenance, when you got the oil service they would also do a DEF service at that time, and it was covered under the free maintenance.

It does NOT mean 'when a BMW dealer does a diesel oil change it must include a DEF service at no charge'

And no need to panic at "999"... unless you are 1000+ miles away from home.

Or you buy a DEF bottle at Home Depot (or any of 100 places within 10 miles of you) for $12 and dump it in.

Old 01-29-2018, 11:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5d
Great Choice, wait an awesome choice on tires DWS 06. Your SA is full of "poop". Time for a new SA. I would ask your SA how long he/she was working at the dealer and how long been in automotive industry. As long as rolling diameter is the same, it makes no difference. RFT tires are exactly the same as regular once other then sidewall.
I did a post about this topic some time ago. My friend she ruined 1 tire on a curb. Deelership SA told her she has to replace all 4 tires. The thread on all her tires were 8 or 7/32s dont remember. She had to tow a car to a tire shop because dealer would not let her drive off the lot.
Time for a new SA. When Dealer/SA that hungry it's time for a new one. I would not trust anything they say.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:38 AM
Fool on the Hill

ard, thanks for the info on DEF not being included on a paid oil change. At least that part of my experience was legit.

The 999 started not long after I left home on a winter drive to Florida, so I needed to address the 999 DEF issue. And since I was 7000+ miles since the last oil change, decided to do that too. Especially since I was under the incorrect understanding that a paid oil change included DEF fill.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:34 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill_X5 View Post
I did a post about this topic some time ago. My friend she ruined 1 tire on a curb. Deelership SA told her she has to replace all 4 tires. The thread on all her tires were 8 or 7/32s dont remember. She had to tow a car to a tire shop because dealer would not let her drive off the lot.
Time for a new SA. When Dealer/SA that hungry it's time for a new one. I would not trust anything they say.
I still ask BMWNA: "If the use of RFT's is so important to Customer Satisfaction, why do you have so many dissatisfied customers?"

Perhaps they do have more satisfied than dissatisfied customers, but the ones that are dissatisfied are *really* dissatisfied.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
ard, thanks for the info on DEF not being included on a paid oil change. At least that part of my experience was legit.

The 999 started not long after I left home on a winter drive to Florida, so I needed to address the 999 DEF issue. And since I was 7000+ miles since the last oil change, decided to do that too. Especially since I was under the incorrect understanding that a paid oil change included DEF fill.

DEF should last approximately 10k. Now that depends on your driving style and mpg. My understanding they put DEF and you drove 7k? I know you paid for it, BUT look positive side. If they overfilled it (which most dealerships do) you could have vents in tank blocked.
Get DEF in Wal Mart, Peak brand. DO NOT overfill tanks. Fill only passive tank to allow system to do it magic and do transfer. DEF is DEF. Every gas station on interstate will have it because trucks need it.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search