Meet Big Bertha :) - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)

F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
The sixth generation of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) was produced from 2011 - 2016 with LCI updates arriving in 2014. In the US BMW offered a hatchback 5 Series Gran Truismo (F07) and the rest of the world also go a Station Wagon/Touring version F11.

Old 05-03-2017, 03:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 F10 550i 6MT
Meet Big Bertha :)

Hello! First timer here

Name is Alex, and I walked into the dark side from the Audi clan. So, finally creating a profile here, I would like to introduce Big bertha.

2011 BMW 550i with 6-speed manual transmission, bought at 73k miles from a dealership in Tampa, FL. Drove two hours to get her, and drove in it back home. Man, she rides beautifully and the power...*****. V8 with two turbos, pretty sweeettt.

So after buying the car, I happened to be here just to see what I got myself into and started reading the N63 woes and issues. So, I am aware of how terrible the N63 is AFTER buying the car so I was worried at the time.

But, I did check to see if anything was done to the car and I was pleasantly surprised. ALOT was done to the car from Fields BMW at Lakeland. All 8 injectors are Index 12, one bank coilpack replaced, two turbos replaced in 2016, lots and lots of new hoses, alternator replaced and rear brakes/ brake fluid replaced. Apparently the CCP was already done.

She now has 85K miles on the clock over course of 4 months owning, still running strong. I did the preventative maintenance myself after the purchase just to be safe. I replaced all eight spark plugs, I did my second oil change recently and replaced air filters. Car burns a quart at around 2K miles so I assume that's within limits considering BMW allowable oil consumption.

Mods so far are Black grilles, ///M weighted shift knob, and deleted mufflers for quad stainless steel tips. She sounds amazing, love the spliffs at every shift.

More to come, I'll post some pics of her. Space grey metallic with terra dakota interior.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2017, 09:17 PM
BimmerFreak

Mein Auto: 535i Xdrive Msport Pkg
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the car!!

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 05-17-2017, 09:04 AM

Thanks

Well here the pics of her:

I am also planning to create some DIYs for the 550i for those who are stupid enough to own the 550 lol. I noticed the DIY page so I'll write some stuff on there. Please take in consideration that it will take awhile since I have alot of pics and info.

The DIY for the F10 550 will be as followed:
Spark plugs
Air filters
Oil change
90C Thermostat R&R/Coolant flush(Removal of 105C and location to buy)
Rear A/C vent console Removal/Install

Last edited by 550iFreak; 05-17-2017 at 09:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2017, 03:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 528i X-Drive
Congrats!! I really wish I could've gotten the 550 instead of the 528, but it was just outside of my budget. Good luck with your car!!
Old 05-17-2017, 06:01 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2011 528i RWD
very nice car, the quad tips look awesome!

the initial break-in stage is important for a motor to ensure that it does not burn oil. if the vehicle is driven aggressively at the beggining of its life, it will burn oil.

with that being said, I recommend switching to 5w40 motul or liqui moly for your next oil change. it will considerably slow oil consumption.

if your turbo seals are good (you mentioned that the turbos were replaced recently) then you can guarantee that the oil consumption is caused by loose valve stem seals (which were not broken in properly by aggressive first owner.)

so, with the car being in good condition and lots of maintenance done to the vehicle, I would recommend an engine rebuild. replace the piston rings/ valve stem seals, carefully break them in for the first 1200 miles (no aggressive revving) and it will seriously put some life back into that v8. efficiency, performance will noticeably increase and the engine will be louder.

as for the exhaust system, I always recommend getting a downpipe. the performance gains are exponentially higher then with muffler delete/upgraded catback and it will still sound amazing. a downpipe with some sort of high-flow mufflers is the ideal setup with both overall sound quality and performance taken into consideration (mufflers would clean up the exhaust sound and reduce drone at low rpm)

anyways, enjoy your bimmer. dont forget to appreciate this fine RWD chassis every single time you take it out for a spin. you have actually left the dark side by joining BMW

I have a 2011 528i. N52 naturally aspirated 6 cylinder. 8 speed. 75k miles like yours with no issues - great car.

Welcome!!
Old 05-18-2017, 04:30 AM

Mein Auto: 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by F10-N52 View Post

so, with the car being in good condition and lots of maintenance done to the vehicle, I would recommend an engine rebuild. replace the piston rings/ valve stem seals, carefully break them in for the first 1200 miles (no aggressive revving) and it will seriously put some life back into that v8. efficiency, performance will noticeably increase and the engine will be louder.
Why would you recommend an engine rebuild? That sounds extreme.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:40 AM
Banned

I've explained myself pretty thoroughly in my previous post.

If he plan to keep the car, in its current condition it makes sense.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:45 AM

Mein Auto: n/a
She's a beauty...I love the brown leather seats!
Old 05-18-2017, 01:54 PM
Banned

RWD, black on brown, manual 550i.. you've literally struck gold.

Here in Toronto, (basically all of Canada and many parts of US) about 95% off the BMW's on the road are xDrive.

Shame it burns so much oil though. If you are willing to pay for new valve stem seals, you will restore a good amount of performance and the engine will last long.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi; 2007 X3
You can get the stem seals done for $2500 if you go to the right person and a trip to Long Island. I wouldn't bother with anything under the heads.

Last edited by veery; 05-18-2017 at 02:07 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:49 PM

Thanks for all the replies

Well, I am comfortable with the car burning through a quart @ 2K miles. It may slow down more due to the colder thermostat that I installed. The car really ran very hot from the factory which I am sure it doesn't help with the known issues leading to oil consumption.

A rebuild will be farrr into the future since it is costly and I am slowly paying the car off on top of other expenses I have to deal with. Basically going with "if it aint broke, don't fix it".

No smoking, no check engine light, car runs fantastic so no need to go extensive just yet unless I am throwing pure stg 1 turbos and BMS stg 2 which will also be on the list soon down the road. I understand that usually cars shouldn't go through oil but since we are talking about a powerplant that runs at a temperature from the sun, on top of two fireballing turbos, and consistently run under positive crankcase pressures that it may either sweat and burn alil or spill out due to being at MAX oil capacity of 9 quarts.

I work on airplanes ( A&P) and I see multimillion dollar jets from falcons, challengers, phenoms, gulfstreams and more prominent on turbocharged pistons going through a quart here and there after certain cycles or hours of flight. It is just the characteristics of said engine ( and their oil is muuuuuuccchhh more expensive at the cheapest at around 19 dollars a quart).

So if BMW states that 750 per quart is their maximum allowable consumption, then it may be. Even though I do agree that is quite alarming at that stage but at 2k per quart, I am okay with it. I change my oil every 7.5K miles so there's three quarts. I do drive everyday for a minimum of 60 miles to and from work and then my own leisure so this car get used daily.

I was followed by my fiance and when I gun it, all she saw was alil bit of black (normal due to direct injection) but no blue smoke. since that is the case on top of no check engine light, I am sure it is fine at the moment. Plus my warranty SUCKS........Again, due to not very good first hand research, I noticed GWC is a TERRIBLE company so if I want the seals done or something major, I am kinda fooked until I get a legitimate warranty.

But yes, she is a rare one. 550I, brown beautiful interior that is never smoked, Grey exterior, manual 6 speed, HUD, NAVI, with major CCP done and RWD. So, far, no issues "knock on wood".

All for 27K dollars lol.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:27 PM
Banned

Use liqui moly 5w40 it will slow oil consumption.

BMW's run very hot. I'd recommend removing your plastic engine cover during the warmer weather. I do this religiously and it helps.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
Today's Posts Search