BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

So any e34s out there?

2K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  sinlapse13 
#1 ·
Hi was wondering how the e34s out there were doing?

Andy

#2 ·
I just buttoned up my 540i after replacing the motor mounts. You may recall that I broke a fan blade because the fan was hitting the shroud. It did indeed turn out that the driver's side mount was leaking fluid and was somewhat compressed. The pass side seemed OK, but I put in a new one because it was there, and the pass side is relatively easy. If it had been the pass side only that had failed, I'd have left the driver-side mount alone. It...is...a...beotch.

I've read that you can get at the upper bolt on the driver's side with a proper combo of universals and extensions, but that proved to be beyond me ... so I ended up removing the alternator to make room for my hammy hands.

Those who have R&R'd the alt from an M60 know what a joyful exercise that is. In the end I'm happy I did it, because I found a bunch of vegetal matter and insect parts behind the rear cover. Cleaned that up and checked the brushes, which looked good. I replaced the volt regulator previously at about 150K miles, so this one has only about 125K on it.

While I had the alt out and the motor jacked up, I got a good look at the power steering hoses. They looked pretty greasy back there. So ... out they came. Just the ones to and from the steering box, which are inaccessible without lifting the driver's side of the motor. (I suspect someone is going to chime in at this point to say you can do the job in 30 minutes with the right combination of universals and extensions.) Sure enough, the hoses rotated pretty freely on the swaged fittings -- hot fluid had probably plasticized them over the years. I never lost fluid at the rate you get when those hoses at the cooler go bad, but I think the big hoses were headed in that direction.

BTW, on the hose assembly that carries fluid from the steering box to the cooler, I just sawed off the swaging and replaced the hose part using a standard worm-drive clamp at the banjo fitting. It's held in place with a hose clamp at the end opposite the steering box, so my logic says it should be adequate. We shall see.

I work slowly, so it took the equivalent of a couple days' work to get it all done. The ps fluid (CHF 11s in this car) looked like coffee -- fresh fluid will probably do the system some good.

#3 ·
I'll let you know when it gets warm enough out to change the alternator.

Sent from the future using the app downloaded to my neural implant.

#8 ·
I got a license plate for mine last week, now I need to get her inspected. She's been running beautifully in daily duty since I bought here in mid February. After that I'm gonna probably do a resonator delete, m5 rear sway bar, tires, tint and an alpine radio plus some regular services over the next year or so

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

#9 ·
I've been playing in the mud lately. :)

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Alloy wheel Bmw

Well, I actually didn't plan on doing that. I was following something that seemed like a nice country road, until it disappeared under the snow. Then I started to realise that underneath the snow there was no proper road anymore, just a dirt road which had turned into mud in these conditions. While at some point I was thinking of heading back where I had come from, I decided to battle it through. I was surprised with how well the car handled a really steep section (it's at stock height), and with how much mud it accumulated in the wheel well. Still, I battled it on and eventually reached a proper road - and with quite a view. All in all, another memorable moment with my E34.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Snow Mercedes-benz w201

#11 ·
Hi was wondering how the e34s out there were doing?

Andy
Left mine at the paint shop on Thursday to remove side skirts, treat rust spots and install new lower door trim. Took the Subaru down to Kiawah for a long weekend wishing I made the drive in my 540i.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.