Incredible Depreciation for BMW - Page 4 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 05-01-2018, 02:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A car
Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
The beauty of a 10-year bimmer(or MB) is that, if taken care of, the bimmer(or MB) still looks relevant and cool. The same is not true of Audi, which usually looks dorky by 10-year mark.

Not always...the E60 and the 7 Series E65 the have not aged very well (and they are not that old)...at all...I would rather drive an E39 than en E60.....

Last edited by duberalles; 05-01-2018 at 02:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2018, 02:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
After the first 24-36 months the depreciation slows quite a bit. Bought my 2012 X5 for 30k in 2015 (66 new) which is outrageous. In the past 3 years it's only lost about 9k in value. I'm happy
Old 05-01-2018, 03:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelracing View Post
The dumbest ones always think they are the smartest.

Buying a depreciating asset with cash and drive it for 10 years during time when safety features are drastic changing and interest rate at historic low, is a
dumb idea disguised in a 1955 financial best practice pamphlet. Sometime, you have to tell your dad that his "value" no longer applies, even if he is the person you admire the more in the World.
This is another (the other) fallacious argument that serial leasers make, that it's dumb to put cash into a depreciating asset.

Here's the reality:

Leasing, buying with cash, or buying with borrowed money, if you're driving a new car you are paying for depreciation.

Every time I buy a new car, I do the lease vs. buy calculations. If you're going to keep the car, especially a BMW, around four years, it's a wash. You're paying out the nose either way.

For my 2014 535i, the ownership costs (maintenance, depreciation, capital cost (interest) and property taxes, or MDI&P) was $1.17/mile for the first three years and 37.5k miles. For the fourth year and 13.1k miles, it was $0.56/mile, for a cumulative four year, 50k miles cost of $1.01/mile. If I'd leased my car, a new, current model year car, the lease payment would have been around $1000/month or around $1/mile.

I expect my MDI&P to stay below $0.60/mile for the next four years and 50k miles. The next four years is where my big savings are.

Last edited by Autoputzer; 05-01-2018 at 03:31 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duberalles View Post
So it must be not just a Northwest thing Because of my wife job I know several of these people, couple of them well into the 3 digits (in Mil) net worth.
They generally do not drive clunkers (except for an obscenely wealthy couple, she still drives her old Volvo SW in one of the most expensive zip code in the nation!!) obviously but neither are serial changers (I do change car more often than some of these people)...few are car types meaning track day with 911s, Prancing horses, etc.. Pickup with trailer, the works.

Two of them spent well over a million a pop for a two "of a kind" cars ("modernized" looking 1960 American coupes but with all modern mechanics under the skins from suspension to powertrain that took years to build, designers and engineers were hired) and these cars hit the show car trail.

As it has always been, wealthy people do not need social acceptance....
It's everywhere. A neighbor of my mother had a salary of about $2.5M/year back in the 1980's. He was the CEO of Norfolk & Southern RR. He finally got rid of his clunker Peugeot, trading it in on an Oldsmobile. His wife had an old Buick. They weren't car people, though.

The CEO and his wife lived in a 3300 sq. ft. townhouse without a garage. They did have a big house in D.C. and a "country estate" somewhere. He was just "camping" in the Norfolk townhouse after the merger of Southern RR and Norfolk & Western RR. He was a senior VP making maybe $800/year, and figured there was a 50% chance of him (and all the senior executives) getting canned after the merger. Instead of getting canned, he was promoted to CEO and stuck around until he retired. They moved after his promotion, though.

Last edited by Autoputzer; 05-01-2018 at 03:31 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:32 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by f30jojo View Post
After the first 24-36 months the depreciation slows quite a bit. Bought my 2012 X5 for 30k in 2015 (66 new) which is outrageous. In the past 3 years it's only lost about 9k in value. I'm happy
My 2016 F30 total lease payment is 10360 with zero drive off. Zero maintenance cost, and I am about to return it with original tires at 5/32 left. I do have to pay a disposition fee because I don't like the current BMW offerings and lease rates. It has been cheap to insure. I think there is about $2400 security deposit I will get back. Wonderful memory driving it in In Bavaria and Tuscany. Except for the California DMV gouging, I would do this every three years if I could. You cheapskates can keep your 10 year old Yaris.

My 2014 Subaru Outback was negotiated new at $22.3K with 0% APR, it is worth $17.5K today.

Last edited by openwheelracing; 05-01-2018 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:33 PM

Mein Auto: 535i
So true.

Bought a 2011 535i in perfect condition exactly 3 years ago with 57,800 miles for 28.5K. I mean it was and still is a 10 on the clean scale. Had it shipped 1000 miles for 775.00.

Once the car hits 50K miles the value drops like a rock. I don't drive more than 4K miles a year. It now has 67K miles. Recently replaced the battery and oil filter stand gasket. Coolant flush too.

The car had the original sticker in the glovebox, 61.5K. I get inundated with aftermarket warrant phone calls. NO, I don't want a warranty program!
Old 05-01-2018, 05:23 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 528I
Not New

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrminsky View Post
You and I are in the same situation. My son is 16 and a few months away from getting his license. I thought about getting him something like a 4/5 year old Sonata or Camry, but I am now thinking about just given him my 2013 328i M package Estoril blue.... One of those cars will cost me close to the same to what the BMW would be worth... Wife does not like the idea of him driving such a hot and $$$ car... but I keep telling her that sadly, the car is worth the same as one of those other cars and it will be almost 6 years old... In her mind is a BMW, expensive, and fast. Fast yes, expensive not so sure. UGH!

You guys and your new cars. LOL. I have two BMWs, one a 1998 528i and an 09 X5. Thats old.
My 98 is an awesome car. Has 182,000 miles and I still love it. I keep thinking about selling it but I know its only worth a couple grand and its probably worth more than that just for the extra car. Its a 5 speed and still fun to drive. The X5 just went over the 120K mark. I have had a few issues with it but I still love the way it drives and rides. The best thing is to find a good, non dealer mechanic that doesn't charge an arm and a leg to fix it I have one that does the stuff I
don't do myself and it is a huge difference in money spent.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:36 PM

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonboro View Post
You guys and your new cars. LOL. I have two BMWs, one a 1998 528i and an 09 X5. Thats old.
My 98 is an awesome car. Has 182,000 miles and I still love it. I keep thinking about selling it but I know its only worth a couple grand and its probably worth more than that just for the extra car. Its a 5 speed and still fun to drive. The X5 just went over the 120K mark. I have had a few issues with it but I still love the way it drives and rides. The best thing is to find a good, non dealer mechanic that doesn't charge an arm and a leg to fix it I have one that does the stuff I
don't do myself and it is a huge difference in money spent.
Welcome to another E39 owner. How much has been spent to keep your E39 running up to 182k miles?
Old 05-01-2018, 05:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
This is why I never buy a new car. I find a 1-3 year old low mileage vehicle and let the original owner eat the depreciation.
+1

You can get a 2-3 year old 535i, 35k-40k miles, sport/premium/technology/etc for about $30k, about 45-50% off the sticker price. 5 series really don't hold their value which makes them a really good deal as a pre-owned.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:44 PM

Mein Auto: 550i GT
Depreciation is so high, so please please please get a full coverage extended warranty. In 2015, I bought 2010 GT 550i with 15k miles! Yes, 15! Paid $31k for car tagged at $89k new. yes, 89! Now, at 68k miles, car has started massive oil leaks. So turbo return line was fixed for $2,400. Then still leaking, told it would be $3,400 to fix oil return line, $2,400 to fix lower pan, $2,800 for upper oil seal, and $3,400 for rear seal. So an even $12,000 for further repairs (in addition to $2,400 already paid). Checked BlueBook, car valued at $8-$10k. For only 68k miles on what used to be a $89k car! That is beyond ridiculous. It worked out cheaper to lease a new GT640, again priced at $82k but brand new this time. Kind of sad that I'm putting myself into constantly paying for a car. But until I stop appreciating the beauty and features (I'm so spoiled now) I better get better at BlackJack or start working on that MBA. Hmm... MBA: $150k. Increase in salary from current: $30k ROI: 5 years. Hours work: 60+ per week BlackJack: $5k year Hours play: 4 hours in Vegas every 2 months Vegas here I come!
Old 05-01-2018, 05:45 PM

Mein Auto: 325xi
Bought my 16 year old son a 03 325xi 3 years ago. It Had one owner with 139000 miles. It was cheaper than Subaru or and I really like driving it too. Lol
I really don't care what other people think Its my nickel not theirs. It is a safe car and my son has really grown into owning a nice machine. No tickets. Knock on wood. Insurance wasn't bad as it is a sedan. So when some one says " must be nice" I reply with a smile and say " yes it is".
Old 05-01-2018, 06:01 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 528I
Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
Welcome to another E39 owner. How much has been spent to keep your E39 running up to 182k miles?
Not a lot. I have had it nine years. Radiator, water pump, etc. Alternator, valve cover gasket, and window regulators. Tires but I consider them incidental since they are consumed. I absolutely love the little bugger. Like part of the family. I read once where the E39 was the best series BMW ever made.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonboro View Post
Not a lot. I have had it nine years. Radiator, water pump, etc. Alternator, valve cover gasket, and window regulators. Tires but I consider them incidental since they are consumed. I absolutely love the little bugger. Like part of the family. I read once where the E39 was the best series BMW ever made.
2001 E39 530i(?) was best ever tested by CR up to that time. Even though Model S did dethrone E39 recently, but CR has since stripped Model S of its ratings, so E39 is still king of the hill.

Wow your list of E39 repair is relatively short, maybe the previous owner has spent lots of money on preventative maintenance before selling the car.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:01 PM

Mein Auto: bmw530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfreema7 View Post
Depreciation is so high, so please please please get a full coverage extended warranty. In 2015, I bought 2010 GT 550i with 15k miles! Yes, 15! Paid $31k for car tagged at $89k new. yes, 89! Now, at 68k miles, car has started massive oil leaks. So turbo return line was fixed for $2,400. Then still leaking, told it would be $3,400 to fix oil return line, $2,400 to fix lower pan, $2,800 for upper oil seal, and $3,400 for rear seal. So an even $12,000 for further repairs (in addition to $2,400 already paid). Checked BlueBook, car valued at $8-$10k. For only 68k miles on what used to be a $89k car! That is beyond ridiculous. It worked out cheaper to lease a new GT640, again priced at $82k but brand new this time. Kind of sad that I'm putting myself into constantly paying for a car. But until I stop appreciating the beauty and features (I'm so spoiled now) I better get better at BlackJack or start working on that MBA. Hmm... MBA: $150k. Increase in salary from current: $30k ROI: 5 years. Hours work: 60+ per week BlackJack: $5k year Hours play: 4 hours in Vegas every 2 months Vegas here I come!
On a average of $3000 per repair that is absolutely INSANE....There is no doubt than buying a CPO with a 40 to 50 percent depreciation is the way to go on BMW or MB. But even after three years , these $30K purchases will be worth about $10 - 12K... That is a lot of depreciation as well. I have been buying and leasing cars for the past 35 years and the best approach I always had when it came to leasing was to shop the best deal out there for cars. Granted I have always been pretty open to the vehicles I would lease for those 3 years. I have never been one to say "I have to drive xyz car with the package and this color" I once leased a loaded Acura TL for $320 and nothing out of pocket. Same with an Infiniti G37. I was flexible with my leases and in all honesty I had no regrets. The cars were always under warranty and I never had to spend any money on anything other than your basic oil change and tire rotation.....So far on my 2 year old CPO 328i I had to replace the very expensive brakes $640 for all four and one oil change for $65 (both good deals LOL!) , I already see that the tires will have to be replaced in about 6000 miles so that would be another $800 or so. Unless I plan on keeping the vehicle another 3 years, I think that leasing would have the been the MUCH MUCH better option.

I respect everyone that likes to keep their vehicles for 10 years. I am just not sure that people come way ahead.... take a 3 series with a lease payment of $500 a month. One would be spending about $18000 every three years. After 9 years and three vehicles. You are looking at $54000. If you buy the same car, assuming this is a $50K car, By the time you do the services years 4 to 9 and based on the price for all the basic services, the amount will get closer and closer if not more. I am not even assuming any repairs which can easily average $2500 as mentioned above. The car will not be worth much either.. A Lexus, Honda etc might be a completely different story. I know I am being over simplistic here, but I know I am not too far away from reality.

On another note, I drove a Mazda 3 yesterday afternoon and I was extremely impressed with the car. For sure not my 3 series, but tech wise , it offers more than my 2013 and the driving dynamics were very impressive for such a car. I think my 16 would love it.... Less than $200 to lease

Last edited by mrminsky; 05-01-2018 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
On a average of $3000 per repair that is absolutely INSANE....There is no doubt than buying a CPO with a 40 to 50 percent depreciation is the way to go on BMW or MB. But even after three years , these $30K purchases will be worth about $10 - 12K... That is a lot of depreciation as well. I have been buying and leasing cars for the past 35 years and the best approach I always had when it came to leasing was to shop the best deal out there for cars. Granted I have always been pretty open to the vehicles I would lease for those 3 years. I have never been one to say "I have to drive xyz car with the package and this color" I once leased a loaded Acura TL for $320 and nothing out of pocket. Same with an Infiniti G37. I was flexible with my leases and in all honesty I had no regrets. The cars were always under warranty and I never had to spend any money on anything other than your basic oil change and tire rotation.....So far on my 2 year old CPO 328i I had to replace the very expensive brakes $640 for all four and one oil change for $65 (both good deals LOL!) , I already see that the tires will have to be replaced in about 6000 miles so that would be another $800 or so. Unless I plan on keeping the vehicle another 3 years, I think that leasing would have the been the MUCH MUCH better option.

I respect everyone that likes to keep their vehicles for 10 years. I am just not sure that people come way ahead.... take a 3 series with a lease payment of $500 a month. One would be spending about $18000 every three years. After 9 years and three vehicles. You are looking at $54000. If you buy the same car, assuming this is a $50K car, By the time you do the services years 4 to 9 and based on the price for all the basic services, the amount will get closer and closer if not more. I am not even assuming any repairs which can easily average $2500 as mentioned above. The car will not be worth much either.. A Lexus, Honda etc might be a completely different story. I know I am being over simplistic here, but I know I am not too far away from reality.

On another note, I drove a Mazda 3 yesterday afternoon and I was extremely impressed with the car. For sure not my 3 series, but tech wise , it offers more than my 2013 and the driving dynamics were very impressive for such a car. I think my 16 would love it.... Less than $200 to lease
A three year, 12k mile/year lease on a $50k BMW would be more like $750/month, not $500/month. That's an extra $3k/year or $27k over the nine years.

Here are my annual depreciation and maintenance costs for my 2002 M3. Annual maintenance and repair costs didn't get unreasonable until the 12th year (103k to 112k miles). Even in the 12th year, that car was cheap ($10k for maintenance and depreciation) compared to my 535i in it's first year ($19k for maintenance and depreciation).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150306 snapshot 2002 bmw m3 m&d data (jpg).jpg
Views:	84
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	792548  
Old 05-01-2018, 08:23 PM

Quote:

A MSRP $50k 3-series is currently sold for $40k($45k with tax + fees) at local dealers, 20% off MSRP. By 6 year mark, that car probably will be $15k? If accurate then the cost of ownership is around $30k, versus $36k for two back-to-back leases with $500 monthly.

Auto's estimate is about right, namely, by the 5th year, the purchase breaks even with leases, and every month after that is $500 savings towards repair + maintenance, or for the next car!!!

And with RV trending down, and MF going up, that break even point will be less than 5 years.

And yes, $200 monthly is the lease payment to target for, nor $500.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post
A three year, 12k mile/year lease on a $50k BMW would be more like $750/month, not $500/month. That's an extra $3k/year or $27k over the nine years.

Here are my annual depreciation and maintenance costs for my 2002 M3. Annual maintenance and repair costs didn't get unreasonable until the 12th year (103k to 112k miles). Even in the 12th year, that car was cheap ($10k for maintenance and depreciation) compared to my 535i in it's first year ($19k for maintenance and depreciation).
When I purchased my CPO car two years ago, I compared a new one and the payment would have been $495 a month for a 36 month lease and 12K miles ..... I constantly see lease specials here in Atlanta for around that. Even if the payment is $50 higher, I still think, you would come out ahead, Keeping in mind that one would be driving a new car every three years and all services would be covered as well as no warranty concerns.. One would never be behind ever changing cool technology and perhaps the advantage of always driving the latest and the greatest. Insurance might be slightly lower as well due to keeping up with safety features. Lots of value right there..... One or two $2500 repairs in years 5 to 9 would get you there. Not to mention the expensive maintenance required Cars are not investments. They are depreciating assets. With a new model 3 lurking out there, the current F30 might even depreciate even more. Not sure how the last generation 5 series is holding up vs to the new one. The good think about BMW is that their cars DO NOT look like every other car out there.... I just saw a picture of the upcoming Genesis G70 and it looks exactly like an infiniti Q50 and a Chrysler 200... The only other cars that have their own look in a way is Cadillac, but everything else is looks the same these days.

I also think that the fact that BMW changed the included CPO plan from 6 years ti 5 years (option for 6 and 7 being extra) really makes it even less appealing. I wonder how the CPO market has been affected.

Last edited by mrminsky; 05-01-2018 at 08:34 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i, 2002 330i
Quote:
Another big factor depending on your state is cost of registration, if itís factored as a percent of the carís value. When I sold my 12 year old 330i I think I was paying around $100/yr for registration. My new 335i started off around $800 IIRC. I think insurance also gets cheaper as the car ages, but Iíve never really paid close attention to it.

Anyway, Iím not sure I really care either way anymore (buy vs lease). Iíve always just paid cash for my cars, purchased new and kept 8-12 years, but Iíve leased a couple for my daughter (sold that darn E46 too soon!) as well. Actually I think the F30 is responsible for curing me of my habit of keeping cars for 10 years; I just donít feel in love with it enough to want to hang on to it as long as I did my E36 and E46, or my wifeís E53.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfreema7 View Post
Depreciation is so high, so please please please get a full coverage extended warranty. In 2015, I bought 2010 GT 550i with 15k miles! Yes, 15! Paid $31k for car tagged at $89k new. yes, 89! Now, at 68k miles, car has started massive oil leaks. So turbo return line was fixed for $2,400. Then still leaking, told it would be $3,400 to fix oil return line, $2,400 to fix lower pan, $2,800 for upper oil seal, and $3,400 for rear seal. So an even $12,000 for further repairs (in addition to $2,400 already paid). Checked BlueBook, car valued at $8-$10k. For only 68k miles on what used to be a $89k car! That is beyond ridiculous.
Wow those are expensive repair bills. My F30 had a turbo oil return line recall, which required removing and reinstalling the turbo.

Those prices appear to be dealer ones, right? My guess is local trusted indies can fix those for 30-40% of dealer prices.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:58 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 525d F10
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Apologies... yet LOL! Please check out how much depreciation are on the VW Group's lackluster Bentley GT / GTS. Try 50% or so loss after only two or three years, and far more after 5 years of age. Considering they go for about $250,000, after only 800 miles a 2014 that was $228,000 sells/asks for $145,410. Did you lose $82,590 in a matter of less than 8k miles? Of course the known $,$$$ to repair their defects and highly expensive (overly so) annual service is another factor why to avoid such money-pit cars. BMW includes annual service under warranty, whereas of course Bentley DOES NOT include service under warranty time.

BMW is far from this outrageous Bentley massive depreciation treatment. Agree with others, get a good 3 year old BMW with CPO and you should be fine. That's what i did.
Who mentioned Bentley? stick to the subject if you can, fud !
Old 05-02-2018, 05:50 AM

Mein Auto: Many
[QUOTE=mrminsky;12486552]As I was at the dealership today getting my brakes inspected and while I was waiting on my car, I looked at a few CPO and I was surprised to see BMW no longer offers the 6 year CPO warranty. It is now 5 years with the option to purchase the 6 and 7 years... WOW!!!!! The depreciation on these cars is also very high even after purchasing a 3 year old CPO car. At the 5 year mark, these cars could be worth 70 percent of the initial cost. Another big WOW.. Not sure if this is the case for every other manufacturer but I was hoping that buying a CPO car, I would be somewhat buffered, but that might not be the case. Currently worth half of what I paid as a CPO two years ago... (as a trade in)

70% after 5 years? No car is worth 70% of its value after 5 years. You are lucky if its 50%

Last edited by JimmyG; 05-02-2018 at 05:52 AM.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:51 AM

Mein Auto: Many

Last edited by JimmyG; 05-02-2018 at 05:54 AM.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:20 AM

Mein Auto: X5m
Hey Guys want me to let you in on a little secret about why vehicles in general have showed big deprecation lately??? I work in the auto industry so I can answer about 99% of these questions. So let me get back to my first comment..... Recently COX automotive group..... a fortune 100 company recently bought out KBB and auto trader etc.... and you may think so... whats your point...??? Well COX Auto also owns Manheim..... this means us dealers will dictate values of vehicles and correct the inflation that was driven up for so many years..

<3
Old 05-02-2018, 06:34 AM

[QUOTE=JimmyG;12497496]
Quote:
As I was at the dealership today getting my brakes inspected and while I was waiting on my car, I looked at a few CPO and I was surprised to see BMW no longer offers the 6 year CPO warranty. It is now 5 years with the option to purchase the 6 and 7 years... WOW!!!!! The depreciation on these cars is also very high even after purchasing a 3 year old CPO car. At the 5 year mark, these cars could be worth 70 percent of the initial cost. Another big WOW.. Not sure if this is the case for every other manufacturer but I was hoping that buying a CPO car, I would be somewhat buffered, but that might not be the case. Currently worth half of what I paid as a CPO two years ago... (as a trade in)

70% after 5 years? No car is worth 70% of its value after 5 years. You are lucky if its 50%
I am so sorry. I meant to say the opposite... these cars have depreciated 70 percent of their value.... So so sorry..
Old 05-02-2018, 07:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 328 Sport Wagon
Our 2009 328i Sport Wagon came with a CPO but we never really used it. All the problems were not covered. My other car is a Porsche 911 4S Porsche has the best CPO. You take the car in and they fix it, while you drive a loaner. No questions, no fees.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search