Code 151001 Ignition Timing Adjustment - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 F48 (2016 - current)

X1 F48 (2016 - current)
Second generation F48 BMW X1 builds on the success of it's predecessor. Increases in power, interior and cargo space keep it a leader in the small SUV field.

Old 01-30-2020, 09:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 16 X1 M-Sport
Code 151001 Ignition Timing Adjustment

Anyone else pop this code?

Car starts fine in morning in the cold. Then when it sets in the garage at work and I re-start after several hours, the car usually starts fine, but then shifting into gear to leave, the engine really stumbles and almost stalls at times. Usually clears out within a few seconds and no more issues.

Today it did the same, but then driving a few minutes down the road the check engine light popped on. Ran my BMW codes reader and it gave me the above "Ignition timing adjustment in idle: too early after cold start"

Some research says there may be a tech bulletin out on this about needing a software update? Called the dealer but they said they don't discuss codes over the phone! WTF is that nonsense!

Well I cleared the code, so they may not be able to see it now unless they can see history? Do I need to wait for the code to pop again or drop everything and get it in now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2020, 04:43 AM

Mein Auto:
I haven't got an error code and my check engine light didn't come on l, but I had a similar experience.
I live in Australia and it's very hot at the moment. A few days ago when my AC was on max and I started the car, the engine didn't idle properly and it seemed like it was going to stall, but then it recovered and was fine for the rest of the drive. It did this a few times over a few days, but now it seems to have fixed itself.
I got the impression my battery was low from running the AC while the engine wasn't running, and the idle stop deactivated itself at traffic lights too.
Old 02-02-2020, 03:43 AM

Mine's been doing it for months. I think it takes awhile to pop the code. Wish I had a stable ISTA install to better read codes. Just using my Creator C310+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2020, 02:30 PM

Another website says this could be poor fuel quality? Doubtful as it would happen all the time, right?

My car runs fine first thing and from quick shutdowns like running to the store. It's only when I run the car to fully warmed up and then let it set for longer periods of several hours, like at work. Then when I start the car, it seems to idle badly and stumbles almost like it will stall for about 30+ seconds. Then runs fine.
Old 03-31-2020, 03:07 AM

Mein Auto:
My 2018 X1 had similar issues with rough idles, near stalls on cold morning starts. No codes. Dealership ran tests, found nothing. Service advisor found an update for engine management software which they installed. Problem has since resolved.
Only difference I note, is the engine revs higher and longer in morning.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:57 AM

Mein Auto:
I've had similar issue of brief rough idles on cold starts. Engine seems to bog down briefly and when I turn HVAC system from on to off, it gets slightly better. When HVAC goes from off to on immediately after start up there's a noticable shudder/jolt from engine bay. These symptoms only happen rarely though.

No codes have popped and the rough idle usually resolves itself within 10 to 15 seconds. It hasn't stalled out yet. The rough idle is seemingly random and intermittent regardless of ambient temperature. I may be lucky from not suffering a complete stall because the car is in a semi-enclosed garaged so it's not exposed to the full elements.

I haven't been to a dealership yet but will go soon to get recall work done. Will ask about a possible engine software update to see if it'll help.

Will post updates when I can.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:46 AM

One other symptom is sometimes after the "hot soak" between starts, it seems to start/idle fine, but then as soon as I shift into gear, the engine bags down and does the shaky idle thing for a short time.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:58 AM

Mein Auto:
So I found my service paperwork. Had taken my 2018 X1 in for rough idle, near stalls on cold morning starts.

BMW tech was unable to pull any fault codes. Ran Idle Speed Control Test Plan.
Per the test plan, performed intake smoke test. No leak found.
Per the test plan, performed misfire detection test plan. No mechanical fault found.
Test plan then stated that “new software is available to improve engine performance”
Programmed the vehicle, haven’t had any problems since
Old 04-06-2020, 09:20 AM

Thanks, may need to get that done

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 F48 (2016 - current)
Today's Posts Search