Do we need to provide our social security # to dealership? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > Ask-A-BMW-Dealer

Ask-A-BMW-Dealer
Talk to our team of BMW Client Advisors from supporting BMW dealerships. Get all of your BMW pricing, ordering, buying, financing, and leasing questions answered here!

Old 04-05-2020, 01:54 PM

Mein Auto:
Do we need to provide our social security # to dealership?

Went to pick up a car that arrived from factory yesterday, but when we got there they told us there was a problem with the key and we would have to come back Monday.

They said that everything is ready to go but that we'll need to fill out another credit application even though they won't be running our credit (we had specifically requested that they do not run our credit way back when we applied with BMW FS). We wanted to make sure they would not be running our credit with any other lenders since we were only interested in financing with BMW FS because of the rebates.

I don't understand why we would have to fill out a credit application when we applied with BMW FS and we are still within the 60 days.

Do we need to provide our social security # for any reason? Would they for some reason need to run the application again themselves with BMW FS now that we're picking up the car?

We were thinking that if they insist that we fill out the form - or insist on the SS #s - that we could put at the bottom of the form by our signature that they do not have authorization to run our credit.

We plan on putting down $12,000 - and are planning to either charge the amount or do a personal check.

Thoughts/advice?

Thanks.

Last edited by JReynolds; 04-05-2020 at 01:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2020, 01:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '20 M4 CS, '20 Volvo S60
Could it be related to anti money laundering? The government likes to track large amounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

3/12 ED 7 - thread ID 610350
1/11 ED 6 - thread ID 5767556&postcount=175
4/10 ED 5 - thread ID 453501
5/08 ED 4 - thread ID 290679
3/07 ED 3 - thread ID 201013
3/06 ED 2 - thread ID 136454
Old 04-06-2020, 05:33 AM

Mein Auto: 328xi
Concerns about fraud.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2020, 07:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
Back in the 1980's a friend of mine worked at a BMW dealership in Virginia. A guy came in with a 6 Series with Florida tags (actually "tag," singular) and wanted a new one they had on the lot. He claimed his old and new car were for his girlfriend who was back at the hotel. He brought a cashiers check from a local bank, and a signed title. They checked out the title and check, and they were both authentic. So, the guy came in after a day or two and swapped out an old 6 for a new 6. They never really had any proof of his name and never saw the woman who supposedly owned the old 6 and bought the new 6, though.

This was in the era of the "Cocaine Cowboys" in Miami. Back then, high-end car dealerships in Miami were dong so much cash business for new cars that they had armed security guards in the showrooms. DEA and FDLE agents were going undercover as car salesmen to identify the "players." Those undercover DEA and FDLE agents are probably the guy drove 2000 miles to buy a new car.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:05 AM

Mein Auto:
So far everything I've looked into does not require another credit application (like OFAC etc.) or even the social security #.

We can always do the $12,000 on the credit card for money laundering concerns.

I guess the more basic question is whether we should need to be filling out another credit application when we have already filled out the application and have been approved by BMW FS.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:59 AM

Mein Auto: Audi, Toyota
Quote:
Originally Posted by JReynolds View Post
Went to pick up a car that arrived from factory yesterday, but when we got there they told us there was a problem with the key and we would have to come back Monday.
What was wrong with the key?
Old 04-06-2020, 09:04 AM
Bimmerfest Founder

Mein Auto: E92 M3 Cp + E30 325
Yes, ever since 9/11 (Patriot Act?) we collect SS data on EVERY CUSTOMER.

No-Haggle/Internet Special Pricing NEW BMW SALES email me for a quote: [email protected]
Old 04-06-2020, 09:50 AM

Mein Auto: Glacier Silver X4 M40i
If they needed to make a new key, I can see that they need your SS. I seem to recall having gone through that on an old(er) X3 I purchased used. It came with just one key and we had a second key "cut" by my indie. Pretty sure he wanted my SS for that little job.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > Ask-A-BMW-Dealer
Today's Posts Search