DIY-Problems - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 08-12-2019, 02:31 PM

Mein Auto:
DIY-Problems

This is my first time posting on this forum. I recently changed the alternator and replaced the valve cover gasket on my 2006 BMW 650i. In order to do this, I had to lift out the fuel rails and injectors. Anyway, After completing all the work, the engine started but is idling very rough and if I step on the accelerator, the car stalls. Does anyone have any ideas? Not sure if the problem is related to my removing the fuel rails, MAF sensor is not functioning correctly, or if there is some kind of computer reset that I should have done. I already tried to do a computer reset - but I'm not sure what else to do. The rough engine appears as though the fuel isn't quite getting through or there isn't the right mix of air and fuel. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2019, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 05 645Ci, 14 750 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by barb2006650i View Post
This is my first time posting on this forum. I recently changed the alternator and replaced the valve cover gasket on my 2006 BMW 650i. In order to do this, I had to lift out the fuel rails and injectors. Anyway, After completing all the work, the engine started but is idling very rough and if I step on the accelerator, the car stalls. Does anyone have any ideas? Not sure if the problem is related to my removing the fuel rails, MAF sensor is not functioning correctly, or if there is some kind of computer reset that I should have done. I already tried to do a computer reset - but I'm not sure what else to do. The rough engine appears as though the fuel isn't quite getting through or there isn't the right mix of air and fuel. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
It sounds like either your valve cover is not seated properly causing a vacuum leak, or an o-ring has fallen off of one of the fuel injectors? There are 2 o-rings per injector, & the lower one could have fallen off. The 2 o-rings are different colors, so you should notice if that is your problem. While removing the valve covers, did you also remove the timing covers, if so I would suspect that the wiring to the solenoids could be damaged, or backwards. Disconnect the MAF sensor to see if the engine smooths out, & this will indicate that there is a problem somewhere in the Valvetronic System. You say the MAF is not working, why is this so? Also have you tried charging the battery to see if it might be very low on voltage, while doing all of your work. The voltage must stay above 12 volts with the engine off & the headlights on. Measure the voltage at the jump terminal under the hood.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:19 AM

Mein Auto:
thank you for your response. As it turns out, a mechanic hooked up his scanner and re calibrated the injectors and it runs perfect now. Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2019, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 05 645Ci, 14 750 M-Sport
Glad you got it fixed!

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
650i, e63, fuel injectors, rough engine, stall

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search