Is there an interest in my weekends "To Do List" ??? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 08-17-2019, 10:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 650ci
Is there an interest in my weekends "To Do List" ???

Sorry for the duplicate post but the first one was posted in DIY by mistake !!

At 61 and semi retired I own up to being a devout "Petrol Head" and have always yearned for a V8 and the BIGGER THE BETTER ....

Having owned for the last 34 month's the 2006 V8 powered 650i E64 Convertible I absolutely love this car even though it's very greedy on fuel.

So one of the things thats bugged me since owning this fine car is the tint the previous (young) owner had applied to the F&R lights and I hate it .... Now I'm hoping the rear lights can be solved by simply finding a fellow forum member here in the UK who likes the "Blacked Out" look on their E63/64 and is willing to trade (fingers crossed)

Now the fronts,thats a differant story .....They were tinted with "2Pak" and not very well I might add,when looking at the headlight turned on you can see the tint is wholely uneven even blocking out some of the nearside beam !!!

After finding out that cheap replacements were far from cheap I'd given up on ever being able to see my LED Angel Eyes again until last week when I discovered a thread on this forum from a gentleman in the States with a need to replace his head light lenses and had found a company in the Czech Rep that sold them for 165 a pair ....

Long story short I have a pair here today that arrived a week earlier than I thought and they only cost me 130 ????

So as the header say's "Is there an interest in my weekends "To Do List" ???" with pics ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zs.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	212.5 KB
ID:	861473   Click image for larger version

Name:	VID_20190804_194913.3gp_snapshot_02.21_[2019.08.05_02.49.45].jpg
Views:	25
Size:	222.0 KB
ID:	861475   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20190805_095331.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	861477  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2019, 10:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2016 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoluzione View Post
Sorry for the duplicate post but the first one was posted in DIY by mistake !!

At 61 and semi retired I own up to being a devout "Petrol Head" and have always yearned for a V8 and the BIGGER THE BETTER ....

Having owned for the last 34 month's the 2006 V8 powered 650i E64 Convertible I absolutely love this car even though it's very greedy on fuel.

So one of the things thats bugged me since owning this fine car is the tint the previous (young) owner had applied to the F&R lights and I hate it .... Now I'm hoping the rear lights can be solved by simply finding a fellow forum member here in the UK who likes the "Blacked Out" look on their E63/64 and is willing to trade (fingers crossed)

Now the fronts,thats a differant story .....They were tinted with "2Pak" and not very well I might add,when looking at the headlight turned on you can see the tint is wholely uneven even blocking out some of the nearside beam !!!

After finding out that cheap replacements were far from cheap I'd given up on ever being able to see my LED Angel Eyes again until last week when I discovered a thread on this forum from a gentleman in the States with a need to replace his head light lenses and had found a company in the Czech Rep that sold them for 165 a pair ....

Long story short I have a pair here today that arrived a week earlier than I thought and they only cost me 130 ????

So as the header say's "Is there an interest in my weekends "To Do List" ???" with pics ?
Sounds like a fun time
Keep in mind that any 1-1 swap needs for the fronts to be with a pre-LCI (2004-2007) car. You can upgrade to LCI LED turn signals in the back with a simple swap and coding to remove any errors.
Fronts require some simple circuitry and wiring. I can help with the diagrams if needed.

One last thing... How do I get to Semi-Retired

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Old 08-17-2019, 10:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 650i
Lol I was at the dealership picking up my CCV valves and the salesmen were trying to tell me how much the 3 series is better than my 650. I asked have you ever driven one? 3 fat no's! I told them I saw at least 5 3 series on the 10 minute ride up. I only know of 2 other 650s where I live. I like the 3 series but it can't out handle or run at high speeds for long periods like a 6 can. Just venting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2019, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 05 645Ci, 14 750 M-Sport
You might be able to use a steamer to remove the tint from your lights, this is what the tint people use. Once you get the film loose in a corner, slowly peel it off.
Old 08-17-2019, 06:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i E70 Sport
Is there an interest in my weekends "To Do List" ???

I have used bug and tar remover in the past to remove tint. Never had an issue. I was able to peel it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

Last edited by BabyUnicornTaco; 08-17-2019 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-18-2019, 04:49 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: E63 645ci
If it's a film then go with the above solutions but if it's a spray on tint with an added clear coat then here's an option, I'd remove the lights from the car first though and give them a good polish once done.
If you've not removed them before there's a guide in the DIY section under E63/64 Lighting.

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=2356745

If you try a thinner it must be safe for plastics i.e no toluene or xylene in it or it will make short work of the plastic lenses.
You could try asking at a model shop if you have one near you or a model makers forum as they'll know how best and what to use to remove paint from plastic models safely which to all intents and purposes is what you're doing.
What ever you use although safe for plastics it will almost certainly take out or diminish the UV protection given to the lenses at the factory so every time you polish the car I'd make sure you do the same to the lenses or you may find them going yellow over time.

Neal.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search