Repetitive Low Oil Pressure Warning - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 09-11-2019, 03:17 PM

Mein Auto:
Repetitive Low Oil Pressure Warning

Sometimes (not every single time I drive the car) I get a warning that my oil pressure is low and I should stop driving immediately. One of them even recently said there might be engine damage. I checked the oil and it actually said there's too much oil, so I don't see how the oil pressure could be too low. I just bought the car used and don't want to have to pay for any problems right out the gate. Does the computer need to be reset? How can I make this go away?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2019, 04:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i E70 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabioSuave View Post
Sometimes (not every single time I drive the car) I get a warning that my oil pressure is low and I should stop driving immediately. One of them even recently said there might be engine damage. I checked the oil and it actually said there's too much oil, so I don't see how the oil pressure could be too low. I just bought the car used and don't want to have to pay for any problems right out the gate. Does the computer need to be reset? How can I make this go away?

If you are going to DIY this BMW you need a BMW specific scanner. There may be other codes. Too much oil can cause issues too. I wouldn’t mess with a low oil warning without figuring out the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 09-11-2019, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 05 645Ci, 14 750 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabioSuave View Post
If your oil pressure warning light is on, your oil pressure is below 8 psi. There is a blockage somewhere in the oil path such as the oil pressure switch, the 4 non-return check valves, oil feed passage channels, the wrong oil, or the wrong oil filter. The lower oil pan can be dropped within 15 minutes to access the oil strainer. You can remove the strainer, & clean it, or any trash in the oil pan. If you can change the oil & filter yourself, you should be able to drop the lower oil pan & inspect the oil pump strainer. If you take this to the dealer or local BMW independent shop, it could cost you a lot of money finding the exact problem. I would not drive the car until it is fixed, unless you want to spend 20k on a new engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2019, 11:27 AM
Michael

Mein Auto: BMW 640i SE Convertible
If the oil level is basically an overfill then this can be worse than low oil (okay both are bad) but what happens with to much oil, and it does not have to be that much over, the oil foams and froths dramatically reducing effectiveness, it changes it composition. This is speaking from experience!!! Luckily no damage was done, but it was a dealer service!!

Always said I would go back to a 6 series

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search