Recoding/re-programming CCC unit - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:25 PM

Mein Auto: e64
Recoding/re-programming CCC unit

HI everyone,
I am driving a 2004 645ci.
Just had a major repair done for over $3,000 and now my CCC unit gave up.
It keeps rebooting to the BMW logo screen then shuts down over and over again.
(I jump-started my car several times and replaced the battery myself with a used one)
I ordered a used CCC off ebay that came off a 2005 M5. Seller assured that the unit is in perfect working order and it would be compatible with my car. Received it a week later. Installed myself and there was no reaction. Screen just stays blank. I had a local BMW mechanic try to program the unit but with no luck. Then brought the car to a 3rd party BMW repair shop (Bullet Performance in Costa Mesa) who told me the unit is not communicating. Upon telling the seller my experience he said it needed to be recoded which could be done by any repair shop that carries an autologic system. So before I am taking my car across town I would like to hear some opinions as to whether this is the case. I would imagine that the unit would at least boot to some extent. I inserted a CD for testing purposes and it would not eject...

Thanks to everyone reading this and eventually contributing...

Kimi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2014, 12:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: M6, 630i, 320iC
First off all the jump starting is probably what killed your CCC. There's a complex electronic set up in these cars (& indeed most modern cars). Jump starting is bound to send surges of current about the place.
Secondly you cannot replace the battery in these cars without registering it. If you don't register it there are 2 potential issues: 1. The battery will not be charged correctly as registering the battery tells the car to change the charging cycle. 2. If you put a higher rated battery in to the car (or a lead acid battery instead of an AGM battery for example) again this will not charge properly, during the "registerng the battery" process you also indicate the Ah rating & type AGM/LA battery.
Then on to the replacement CCC. The e60 M5 CCC is compatible ith your car once it has been coded to your car. Even without coding it should power up & some functions should work, others not. You need to code 5 modules in order to have the CCC working completely:
- CGATE
- CHOST
- CAUD
- CTUNE
- CAPPL
In that order. Autologic should be able to do that but NCS Expert can definitely do that. Main dealer BMW software cannot code used modules, they can only do new stuff.
I have an e60 535d CCC unit in my car & have gone through this process so I'm familiar with it.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimisaccount View Post
HI everyone,
I am driving a 2004 645ci.
Just had a major repair done for over $3,000 and now my CCC unit gave up.
It keeps rebooting to the BMW logo screen then shuts down over and over again.
(I jump-started my car several times and replaced the battery myself with a used one)
I ordered a used CCC off ebay that came off a 2005 M5. Seller assured that the unit is in perfect working order and it would be compatible with my car. Received it a week later. Installed myself and there was no reaction. Screen just stays blank. I had a local BMW mechanic try to program the unit but with no luck. Then brought the car to a 3rd party BMW repair shop (Bullet Performance in Costa Mesa) who told me the unit is not communicating. Upon telling the seller my experience he said it needed to be recoded which could be done by any repair shop that carries an autologic system. So before I am taking my car across town I would like to hear some opinions as to whether this is the case. I would imagine that the unit would at least boot to some extent. I inserted a CD for testing purposes and it would not eject...

Thanks to everyone reading this and eventually contributing...

Kimi
it is true that the CCC needs to be coded. There could also be some electrical issues that have not been addressed. PM me your contact info. I'm in the LA area and I may be able to help.

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2014, 05:48 PM

Mein Auto: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel.ranter View Post
First off all the jump starting is probably what killed your CCC. There's a complex electronic set up in these cars (& indeed most modern cars). Jump starting is bound to send surges of current about the place.
Secondly you cannot replace the battery in these cars without registering it. If you don't register it there are 2 potential issues: 1. The battery will not be charged correctly as registering the battery tells the car to change the charging cycle. 2. If you put a higher rated battery in to the car (or a lead acid battery instead of an AGM battery for example) again this will not charge properly, during the "registerng the battery" process you also indicate the Ah rating & type AGM/LA battery.
Then on to the replacement CCC. The e60 M5 CCC is compatible ith your car once it has been coded to your car. Even without coding it should power up & some functions should work, others not. You need to code 5 modules in order to have the CCC working completely:
- CGATE
- CHOST
- CAUD
- CTUNE
- CAPPL
In that order. Autologic should be able to do that but NCS Expert can definitely do that. Main dealer BMW software cannot code used modules, they can only do new stuff.
I have an e60 535d CCC unit in my car & have gone through this process so I'm familiar with it.
I think my ccc want out I'm in LA email if you can help thinks [email protected]
Old 08-22-2014, 05:49 PM

Mein Auto: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGDEE23 View Post
I think my ccc want out I'm in LA email if you can help thinks [email protected]
I have a 645 2005.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:16 PM

Mein Auto: 05' 645
Interesting. One morning my 645 wouldn't start, so I jumped it from my Jeep. Same thing....after that my ccc gave out. Was doing the same thing.....screen with bmw logo flashing on and off. So, can you never jump start these cars?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-22-2014, 06:17 PM

It still works periodically though. Just got the battery tested and it read bad....hoping that the cause of the ccc unit not working.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regmatc View Post
It still works periodically though. Just got the battery tested and it read bad....hoping that the cause of the ccc unit not working.

just curious, did you jump it directly to the battery or to the connection in the engine compartment? Was it the original battery?

Old 08-22-2014, 07:50 PM

I connected it in the engine compartment and no, it wasn't the original battery.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:56 PM

I jumped it thru the engine compartment and no it wasn't the original battery. What do you think?

Old 08-22-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regmatc View Post
I connected it in the engine compartment and no, it wasn't the original battery.

That is not a good place to jump the a 6. These cars have a very sensitive (very over-engineered) electrical system. There are battery posts in the engine compartment.

Take some time and read the manual cover to cover. It's worth the time.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:54 PM

I've had someone jump me there before with one of those portable units 2 years ago so I thought it wouldn't matter. Ignorance on my part. I'm hoping this new battery fixes the ccc issue.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:55 PM

At least I know better now....thanks Ros!

Old 08-23-2014, 06:35 AM

Mein Auto: M6, 630i, 320iC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGDEE23 View Post
Not sure what I can do for you, I am the other side of the Atlantic Ocean (plus the entire continent of North America! )

What is it you're looking for & maybe we can help or direct you to some one more local. Last time I was in LA (stayed in Santa Monica) was 2008.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseng View Post
just curious, did you jump it directly to the battery or to the connection in the engine compartment? Was it the original battery?
I have a 2005 645Ci, and have similar situation: recently put in a new battery (non BMW, and was told that it is cheaper and better). A few days later, my iDrive sceen came on and off, blank....and I was told by BMW dealer that I need a new screen or ccc & coding.

My question is could it be caused by the non-BMW battery?

Thank you very much,
Old 11-18-2014, 12:12 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 645i
Quote:
That is not a good place to jump the a 6. These cars have a very sensitive (very over-engineered) electrical system. There are battery posts in the engine compartment.

Take some time and read the manual cover to cover. It's worth the time.
Wait a minute. He said he jumped it from th engine compartment. Isn't that the battery posts you're referring to?

On another note is it ok to hook up a Ctek battery maintainer to the posts on the engine bay?

BMW 645i - Black on Red
Range Rover Sport - Black on Black
Old 11-18-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StikiGreenZ View Post
Wait a minute. He said he jumped it from th engine compartment. Isn't that the battery posts you're referring to?

On another note is it ok to hook up a Ctek battery maintainer to the posts on the engine bay?
1.Always charge from the engine bay

2. Always start a new threat when you have a question.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shereeshih View Post
I have a 2005 645Ci, and have similar situation: recently put in a new battery (non BMW, and was told that it is cheaper and better). A few days later, my iDrive sceen came on and off, blank....and I was told by BMW dealer that I need a new screen or ccc & coding.

My question is could it be caused by the non-BMW battery?

Thank you very much,
No it is coincidence, The battery would only affect it if the charge were vewry low.

However, if the alternator is bad, then you might have a low battery and that could cause issues.

Did they check that too?

Old 11-22-2014, 06:13 PM

Thank you very much, Roseng.
I'll make sure they check that.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:14 AM

Quote:
No it is coincidence, The battery would only affect it if the charge were vewry low.

However, if the alternator is bad, then you might have a low battery and that could cause issues.

Did they check that too?
Hi Roseng,
The alternator is fine, checked with both dealer and the shop that replaced the battery.

It has become a pattern that the screen will come on and stay on if the engine is not started for more than 4-5 hours; but when I was running errands and had to restart the car shortly after, the screen will be blank, once in while the BMW logo screen would seem to peek but stayed out.

What do you take of this?
Thank you so much,
Old 11-25-2014, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Hi Roseng,
The alternator is fine, checked with both dealer and the shop that replaced the battery.

It has become a pattern that the screen will come on and stay on if the engine is not started for more than 4-5 hours; but when I was running errands and had to restart the car shortly after, the screen will be blank, once in while the BMW logo screen would seem to peek but stayed out.

What do you take of this?
Thank you so much,
If that's the case, and nothing else in the car is wrong, and no other error messages, then unfortunately, it may be the screen or the CCC. I've seen a number of people lately that have CCCs that are failing.

Old 11-26-2014, 05:51 AM

Quote:
If that's the case, and nothing else in the car is wrong, and no other error messages, then unfortunately, it may be the screen or the CCC. I've seen a number of people lately that have CCCs that are failing.
oh bummer, that is not a cheap fix
Thank you so much, Roseng.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
oh bummer, that is not a cheap fix
Thank you so much, Roseng.
Good news is that there is a guy in LA that can get you straightened out. http://www.bpmsport.com/

He should be able to get you sorted. A number of members have used him with success..

Old 03-18-2015, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Good news is that there is a guy in LA that can get you straightened out. http://www.bpmsport.com/

He should be able to get you sorted. A number of members have used him with success..
oh....I already had it fixed - $$$
Thank you though.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:11 PM

Quote:
oh....I already had it fixed - $$$
Thank you though.
Congrats, Just curious, mind telling us how much it cost and what you had done?

Last edited by roseng; 03-18-2015 at 10:13 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
cic, e64, idrive, navigation, retrofit

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search