Recoding/re-programming CCC unit - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseng View Post
Congrats, Just curious, mind telling us how much it cost and what you had done?
CC Head Unit replaced with newer version, programming included = $1,500+ dealer price parts & labor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2015, 09:31 AM

Mein Auto: 07 BMW 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel.ranter View Post
First off all the jump starting is probably what killed your CCC. There's a complex electronic set up in these cars (& indeed most modern cars). Jump starting is bound to send surges of current about the place.
Secondly you cannot replace the battery in these cars without registering it. If you don't register it there are 2 potential issues: 1. The battery will not be charged correctly as registering the battery tells the car to change the charging cycle. 2. If you put a higher rated battery in to the car (or a lead acid battery instead of an AGM battery for example) again this will not charge properly, during the "registerng the battery" process you also indicate the Ah rating & type AGM/LA battery.
Then on to the replacement CCC. The e60 M5 CCC is compatible ith your car once it has been coded to your car. Even without coding it should power up & some functions should work, others not. You need to code 5 modules in order to have the CCC working completely:
- CGATE
- CHOST
- CAUD
- CTUNE
- CAPPL
In that order. Autologic should be able to do that but NCS Expert can definitely do that. Main dealer BMW software cannot code used modules, they can only do new stuff.
I have an e60 535d CCC unit in my car & have gone through this process so I'm familiar with it.

Is there a read up on how to start? I also have an 07 530i that I replace the CCC with a used one from ebay. Its been almost 7 months and I still have no sound in my car. Would reallyt appreciate any help you can...I have a working INPA and NCSEXPERT with the new DATEN for the E60 and a working cable. I also was able to save a read on my ECU. Now I need for somebody to help me figure out how to read and edit the modules that you mention..Thank You In Advance..
Old 03-29-2015, 11:01 AM

Mein Auto: 01 325 e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by looney53 View Post
Is there a read up on how to start? I also have an 07 530i that I replace the CCC with a used one from ebay. Its been almost 7 months and I still have no sound in my car. Would reallyt appreciate any help you can...I have a working INPA and NCSEXPERT with the new DATEN for the E60 and a working cable. I also was able to save a read on my ECU. Now I need for somebody to help me figure out how to read and edit the modules that you mention..Thank You In Advance..
I have some car...it took a lot of reading to learn how to use NCS ..once you read the CAS and LMA - then just update the CTUNE, - CGATE, etc as described in this thread....sound will start working after complete shutdown/reset...waiting 10-15 min with car off. It took me a couple months of learning/reading...good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2015, 01:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: M6, 630i, 320iC
Have a read of the attached document as on this post, especially the default coding a module document:

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=15
2007 e63 M6

Previous Cars: 2002 e39 525iA Sport, 1994 e36 318i, 1990 e34 520i, 1989 e30 325i, 1986 e30 316
Old 04-02-2015, 08:54 AM

Mein Auto: 07 BMW 530i
Yup!! It took me about 5 months to learn and read. I finally was able to code mine. And its a success.. I'm in the San Dimas Area. Anybody needs help pls. PM me!! Thank You All for the useful post..
Specially to Shedidan and rebel!! hats off to you guys...
Old 04-02-2015, 03:24 PM

That's great news! Delighted it worked for you, even more delighted you're "payin' it forward".
2007 e63 M6

Previous Cars: 2002 e39 525iA Sport, 1994 e36 318i, 1990 e34 520i, 1989 e30 325i, 1986 e30 316
Old 07-05-2015, 04:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 F26 X4 35d, 2016 X1
Hi,

I have a 2005 BMW E60 5309i that came with Business Navigation.

I purchased from eBay in Poland, all the necessary parts to upgrade to Professional Navigation, I took a big gamble as they were from a used E60 of the same year.

Anyway, I was probably very lucky. I installed all the parts and connected the battery and the Pro Nav fired up, there seemed no issues.

I took car into 2 BMW service centres and both weren't able to perform Pro Nav retrofit coding as the CCC already had a coded VIN #.

Anyway, everything works OK with a couple annoyances, but still very usable:
  1. CCC shows I have heated seats which I don't
  2. Voice via steering wheel button is in German, but I still have English navigation instructions
  3. Shows I have Aux Input which I don't

Overall it was worth doing about 9 years ago but due to recoding problems, I'd probably purchase new CCC unit.

Cheerz
Old 07-05-2015, 11:59 PM

There is no need to purchase a new CCC unit. BMW designed the dealer software to only accept new control units. I think this was the right decision for BMW & their dealers, it removes the potential for issues with faulty second hand units. Would Apple allow their repair centres to use second hand batteries? I don't think so!

The coding issues you experienced could have been easily overcome using NCS Expert. You could have removed the Business Navigstion & added the Professional Navigation by modifying the VO. It's a 2 minute job. Then by default coding the 5 modules above you could have written the cars configuration information, including the VIN number that shows up for the Bluetooth. I'd would still recommend that you do this.
2007 e63 M6

Old 10-23-2015, 06:40 PM

Mein Auto: 06 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by looney53 View Post
Yup!! It took me about 5 months to learn and read. I finally was able to code mine. And its a success.. I'm in the San Dimas Area. Anybody needs help pls. PM me!! Thank You All for the useful post..
Specially to Shedidan and rebel!! hats off to you guys...
Hi looney53, I could use the help. My m5 needs CCC programming. Got a used unit installed but not all features work. Thx!
Old 10-26-2015, 11:15 AM

Mein Auto: 645 2006
I have the same issue

I've found that if the temperature is below 68 degrees outside, then my ccc unit works. If it is hotter outside, then it usually won't. I get a cycle of BMW logo, white flickering, black, and then back to the logo. I have found that if I turn on my AC full blast and push all of the air to the defrost vents, after about 15 minutes it will start working. Has anyone else had this issue? Will recoding correct it? I've read a lot of people saying a new battery might help, any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Paul
Old 10-27-2015, 05:43 PM

Mein Auto:
I have the same problem in my 05 645ci it only works under 50 degrees I did jus purchase a battery 2yrs ago from autozone I don't know if it's the battery or the ccc unit dealer wants $1200 for a new unit.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby1021 View Post
I have the same problem in my 05 645ci it only works under 50 degrees I did jus purchase a battery 2yrs ago from autozone I don't know if it's the battery or the ccc unit dealer wants $1200 for a new unit.
I highly doubt the battery was the culprit. The known cause of CCC failure is exposure to excessive heat and/or vibration. So I've been told.
Just had a used one installed on my car but some functions aren't working, such as the SOS, Bluetooth, steering wheel buttons, etc.
Any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-28-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paolo_burgos View Post
I highly doubt the battery was the culprit. The known cause of CCC failure is exposure to excessive heat and/or vibration. So I've been told.
Just had a used one installed on my car but some functions aren't working, such as the SOS, Bluetooth, steering wheel buttons, etc.
Any help would be appreciated.
You need to default code each of the 5 modules mentioned above using NCS Expert. That will tell the unit what features your car has installed and will appropriately configure the CCC to recognise these features.
2007 e63 M6

Old 10-28-2015, 04:20 PM

Mein Auto: 645 2006
Thanks for the advice. Should I purchase a used CCC unit, or go with the dealer option. $1200 doesn't sound too bad, is that an installed price or just the part cost?

Thanks.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:57 PM

Quote:
You need to default code each of the 5 modules mentioned above using NCS Expert. That will tell the unit what features your car has installed and will appropriately configure the CCC to recognise these features.
Thanks. I wish I had the talent to do all that. I'm in the LA area and having trouble finding resource for this...
Old 10-28-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pashcraft View Post
Thanks for the advice. Should I purchase a used CCC unit, or go with the dealer option. $1200 doesn't sound too bad, is that an installed price or just the part cost?

Thanks.
So if you opt for a used unit and don't have anyone to do the recode/reprogram, you will be in the same predicament as me. It kinda works but not really as some functions aren't working. Annoying as hell.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:00 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
First off all the jump starting is probably what killed your CCC. There's a complex electronic set up in these cars (& indeed most modern cars). Jump starting is bound to send surges of current about the place.
Secondly you cannot replace the battery in these cars without registering it. If you don't register it there are 2 potential issues: 1. The battery will not be charged correctly as registering the battery tells the car to change the charging cycle. 2. If you put a higher rated battery in to the car (or a lead acid battery instead of an AGM battery for example) again this will not charge properly, during the "registerng the battery" process you also indicate the Ah rating & type AGM/LA battery.
Then on to the replacement CCC. The e60 M5 CCC is compatible ith your car once it has been coded to your car. Even without coding it should power up & some functions should work, others not. You need to code 5 modules in order to have the CCC working completely:
- CGATE
- CHOST
- CAUD
- CTUNE
- CAPPL
In that order. Autologic should be able to do that but NCS Expert can definitely do that. Main dealer BMW software cannot code used modules, they can only do new stuff.
I have an e60 535d CCC unit in my car & have gone through this process so I'm familiar with it.
I in the same boat, I got inpa cable.. I just need the proper software to do it . Do you know where I can download a legit NCS Expext software? Ps my laptop does not have a cd port.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:44 AM

Mein Auto: Alfa 159
Code replacement CCC

There are a lot of conflicting information about what needs coding when installing a used CCC unit. As mentioned in the second post there are five modules that needs to be coded and the process is quite straight forward.

Some background: Your car has a VO (Vechicle Order), also called FA which I think is the german translation. The VO is a string of text with information about what options your car have. For example, a car with Logic 7 has "$677" in the VO, a car with HiFi instead has "$676".

Menus are missing (and in my case, there was no audio at all) because your new CCC is matched to a different VO. The fix is quite straight-forward, I have a E92 but the process should be the same for most CCC BMW's.

1. Get BMW standard tools installed. This is the most difficult step, FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY. www.mediafire.***/folder/a7jvirbs559ib/Software ***=com
2. Get to know the software and make sure your connection to your car is good. You can do that by reading som fault codes, testing seat buckles etc. in EDIABAS.
3. Close EDIABAS and start NCS Expert. Load profile expertmode.
4. Press F1 (FG/ZCS/FA)
5. Press F3 (ZCS/FA f. ECU)
6. Select your chassis (E89=E9x)
7. Select CAS
8. Press F6 (back)
8b. Optional: Make a backup of your FSW_PSW.TRC in /WORK folder (Google it)
9. Press F4 (Process ECU)
10. Select the first module you need to code (CGATE)
11. Press F3 (Execute job)
12. Go back to main menu and redo step 4-9
13. Select the next module you need to code (CHOST) until all five are coded: CGATE, CHOST, CAUD, CTUNE, CAPPL, in that order.
14. Done! Your CCC is now matched to your VO (the options on your car)
15. Disconnect your laptop and start the car. Then reboot the CCC (press on/off/mute-button, eject CD, eject DVD at the same time) and everything should work!

This should take around 2 hours, 1 for setting up the environment and 1 for coding. Most people mess up step 1.

Last edited by ress; 06-06-2017 at 04:09 AM.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:02 AM

Mein Auto: x5
...a little help
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/a7jvirbs559ib/Software
Old 07-26-2017, 07:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ress View Post
There are a lot of conflicting information about what needs coding when installing a used CCC unit. As mentioned in the second post there are five modules that needs to be coded and the process is quite straight forward.

Some background: Your car has a VO (Vechicle Order), also called FA which I think is the german translation. The VO is a string of text with information about what options your car have. For example, a car with Logic 7 has "$677" in the VO, a car with HiFi instead has "$676".

Menus are missing (and in my case, there was no audio at all) because your new CCC is matched to a different VO. The fix is quite straight-forward, I have a E92 but the process should be the same for most CCC BMW's.

1. Get BMW standard tools installed. This is the most difficult step, FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY. www.mediafire.***/folder/a7jvirbs559ib/Software ***=com
2. Get to know the software and make sure your connection to your car is good. You can do that by reading som fault codes, testing seat buckles etc. in EDIABAS.
3. Close EDIABAS and start NCS Expert. Load profile expertmode.
4. Press F1 (FG/ZCS/FA)
5. Press F3 (ZCS/FA f. ECU)
6. Select your chassis (E89=E9x)
7. Select CAS
8. Press F6 (back)
8b. Optional: Make a backup of your FSW_PSW.TRC in /WORK folder (Google it)
9. Press F4 (Process ECU)
10. Select the first module you need to code (CGATE)
11. Press F3 (Execute job)
12. Go back to main menu and redo step 4-9
13. Select the next module you need to code (CHOST) until all five are coded: CGATE, CHOST, CAUD, CTUNE, CAPPL, in that order.
14. Done! Your CCC is now matched to your VO (the options on your car)
15. Disconnect your laptop and start the car. Then reboot the CCC (press on/off/mute-button, eject CD, eject DVD at the same time) and everything should work!

This should take around 2 hours, 1 for setting up the environment and 1 for coding. Most people mess up step 1.
@ress Thanks for the great instructions! I'm excited to get stated. A few questions:

I need to buy a used CCC for my 2006 650i. Seems super simple to install, now for the fun part / installing standard tools and the programming!

1. Will BMW standard tools work well on windows 10 or do i need a clean w7/w8 laptop?
2. For my car will any old ebay BMW INPA K+DCAN USB Interface cable do? This programming all takes place thought the OBD2 port right?
3. The software will automatically pick up my VO# and options when connected (its not something i need to dig up?)
4. Once the ST software is up would you be willing to RDP in and program for a fee?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by oRIDDLERo; 07-26-2017 at 07:19 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:34 PM

Mein Auto: Los Angeles
CCC Unit for a Poor Guy

I have an '05 530i in which the radio does not come on and the BMW logo on the screen fades in like it's about to be the beginning of a horror movie, then abruptly goes black (like my career). Just had work done and the mechanic who looked at it said he could replace the unit for $1500. So of course I slapped him and three of his customers for good measure, then I walked! I'm thinking maybe I could buy this CCC thing somewhere and then have it installed by an independent location. Does this sound feasible? I am NOT savvy enough to take things apart and plug stuff in and so on HELP!!!
Old 09-16-2017, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 05 645Ci, 14 750 M-Sport
I would 1st check your battery voltage to make sure it is above 12 volts, before doing anything. Measure the voltage at the jump terminal with the engine off. The next item to check would be the IDrive screen itself, it sounds like it could be bad. Did the shop give you a printout of what your error codes were, since you paid for the diagnostics. Maybe some local members can recommend a shop in your area to take the car to.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:42 PM

Mein Auto:

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseng View Post
That is not a good place to jump the a 6. These cars have a very sensitive (very over-engineered) electrical system. There are battery posts in the engine compartment.

Take some time and read the manual cover to cover. It's worth the time.

Last edited by 36EWMB; 10-04-2018 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Misunderstood
Old 10-03-2018, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: E63 645ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by 36EWMB View Post
Um, maybe you should read the manual, cover to cover; it'd be worth your time because you definitely are supposed to jump the car from the battery posts in the ENGINE compartment...
I think there were some crossed wires in this thread (if you'll pardon the pun), that's what roseng was eluding too i.e. use the posts in the engine bay .
Roseng has been here a long time and is one of quite a few members that has probably forgotten more than many of us will ever know, myself included .
This thread is pretty old now so I'm sure any issues have long since been resolved.

Neal.

Last edited by Hsurf; 10-03-2018 at 09:33 PM.
Old 10-05-2018, 02:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsurf View Post
I think there were some crossed wires in this thread (if you'll pardon the pun), that's what roseng was eluding too i.e. use the posts in the engine bay .
Roseng has been here a long time and is one of quite a few members that has probably forgotten more than many of us will ever know, myself included .
This thread is pretty old now so I'm sure any issues have long since been resolved.
Neil,
I think I'm missing something here...Sorry but I'm lost.

Anyway, thanks for the compliment but I'm good with electrical stuff but can't hold a candle to some of the gear and oil guys like Herb!

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
cic, e64, idrive, navigation, retrofit

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search