645 SMG gear Will NOT work - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-20-2016, 01:45 AM
Skorstensgaard Skorstensgaard is offline
Registered User
Location: Danmark
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: Bmw 645i
645 SMG gear Will NOT work

bmw 645 2005 SMG gear, do not go into reverse or 1 gear
after I have run about 35 km and held still for about 15 minutes came the problem. until I could get it into first gear but not in the bark. I could hear that it was trying to find reverse gear where I clearly could hear a change arm running back and forth in the gearbox. it is as if it could not find the gear. after some time where I drove a little walk in 2 gear where it jumped 1,3,5 gear about would suddenly nothing. I could start the car in N with no problems, but when I tried to put it in gear, tried gearbox to find the gear (I can hear a metallic sound of a switch arm which tried of getting the car in gear) but we did not. after the car had been stationary for 1.5 hours could suddenly good run normally without the slightest problems. there are some who have any advice or have tried it before. I look forward to hearing something ***128077;***127996;
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 03-20-2016, 07:57 AM
6 Coupe 6 Coupe is offline
Registered User
Location: NOVA
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 31
Mein Auto: '05 645ci
I believe that's your cluth position sensor.
Quote:
after the car had been stationary for 1.5 hours could suddenly good run normally without the slightest problems.
If it would not shift into any gear at all from whatever gear it is stuck in then it is more likely the whole SMG hydraulic pump assembly has failed. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partxref?q=21532229715

If you stand next to your car and unlock the doors with the fob and you do NOT hear the whine it makes all the time when you unlock the doors, then the SMG hydraulic pump assembly has failed.

There is a $20 salmon colored relay located in the relay box under the passenger side cabin air filter box under the hood. Replace that and it may fix your problem. If it does not then its likely your Cluth Position Sensor has failed $300 https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E63-64...ssion/ES43871/

Last edited by 6 Coupe; 03-20-2016 at 08:02 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-22-2016, 09:15 AM
speed645 speed645 is offline
Registered User
Location: ohio
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 64
Mein Auto: 645ci
Are there usually any codes when it is the clutch position sensor?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 03-22-2016, 10:50 AM
Skorstensgaard Skorstensgaard is offline
Registered User
Location: Danmark
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: Bmw 645i
I get the following error codes on our computer there are some who have an idea of what it might be?
Do you think still that it's switching position sensor ?

4f6f hydraulic pumpe acctivation - i have 50 bar on that one, so it not the punp.

4f75 gearbox , gear selection not possible

4fb4 control unit internal fault ( Cpu )

Last edited by Skorstensgaard; 03-22-2016 at 12:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-22-2016, 12:13 PM
speed645 speed645 is offline
Registered User
Location: ohio
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 64
Mein Auto: 645ci
I would replace the pump then if it persists then its the position sensor too. I def think its the pump though.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-22-2016, 01:58 PM
Skorstensgaard Skorstensgaard is offline
Registered User
Location: Danmark
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: Bmw 645i
Why do you think still that it is the pump when it makes as much pressure as it does. Have been told that the pressure must be between 40-80 bar. What position sensor for gear shifting them there are 2 of the gearbox. It sounds like the gearbox can not figure out or find the right gear.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-22-2016, 04:21 PM
rebel.ranter rebel.ranter is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Cork, Ireland
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 845
Mein Auto: M6, 630i, 320iC
Just to note that there is a repair kit that contains just the hydraulic pump, it is about 380 and not the crazy money that the entire hydraulic assembly costs. I got mine replaced for 621 at the dealer in January.
Here's a link to the part number:

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E6...ion_tank_pump/
(#3 In the diagram)
__________________
Current cars
1996 e36 320iC (convertible)
2006 e63 630i Sport w/SMG
2007 e63 M6


Previous Cars: 2002 e39 525iA Sport, 1994 e36 318i, 1990 e34 520i, 1989 e30 325i, 1986 e30 316
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-22-2016, 11:47 PM
Skorstensgaard Skorstensgaard is offline
Registered User
Location: Danmark
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: Bmw 645i
Hello again

Why are so confident that it is the pump when it makes so much pressure?

This actuator what is its function.

Thanks for the help
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-24-2016, 08:58 PM
speed645 speed645 is offline
Registered User
Location: ohio
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 64
Mein Auto: 645ci
I went through similar issues
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-30-2016, 01:49 PM
Scooby1021 Scooby1021 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 10
Mein Auto:
I have a 05 645ci smg too. I have the same problem goin on now for 2 yrs. I jus gave up. Car sits in the garage. But it will drive fine for 20 mins to 30 mins then when I stop at a light it will get stuck in neutral or it will go in 1st but jus Rev up same as reverse. . But when I let it seat for a hour or so it normal. I've changed the pump but still same problem. I don't know what to do at this point I love the car but it's becoming a headache.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-30-2016, 01:50 PM
Scooby1021 Scooby1021 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 10
Mein Auto:
Or sometime it gets stuck in 1st gear and won't start for like 45mins
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-30-2016, 02:11 PM
speed645 speed645 is offline
Registered User
Location: ohio
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 64
Mein Auto: 645ci
Scooby yours might be the clutch position sensor kit
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-30-2016, 03:03 PM
ProRail ProRail is offline
"Clunker" *****
Location: Columbia MD
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 4,684
Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A-220K-traded
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby1021 View Post
I have a 05 645ci smg too. I have the same problem goin on now for 2 yrs. I jus gave up. Car sits in the garage. But it will drive fine for 20 mins to 30 mins then when I stop at a light it will get stuck in neutral or it will go in 1st but jus Rev up same as reverse. . But when I let it seat for a hour or so it normal. I've changed the pump but still same problem. I don't know what to do at this point I love the car but it's becoming a headache.
Please take your car to a good indie shop. It's criminal to leave a 6 in the garage because of a fixable problem. I know a good one in Catonsville, MD, but I'm sure there are others around.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-08-2017, 10:11 AM
Vinbee35 Vinbee35 is offline
Registered User
Location: Malaysia
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: 645ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorstensgaard View Post
bmw 645 2005 SMG gear, do not go into reverse or 1 gear
after I have run about 35 km and held still for about 15 minutes came the problem. until I could get it into first gear but not in the bark. I could hear that it was trying to find reverse gear where I clearly could hear a change arm running back and forth in the gearbox. it is as if it could not find the gear. after some time where I drove a little walk in 2 gear where it jumped 1,3,5 gear about would suddenly nothing. I could start the car in N with no problems, but when I tried to put it in gear, tried gearbox to find the gear (I can hear a metallic sound of a switch arm which tried of getting the car in gear) but we did not. after the car had been stationary for 1.5 hours could suddenly good run normally without the slightest problems. there are some who have any advice or have tried it before. I look forward to hearing something ***128077;***127996;

I have exactly the same probkem. So what shoukd i do?
Should i change the cluth position sensor?
I changed the hydraulic pump but still same problem occur to me.

Pls help.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-08-2017, 10:46 AM
speed645 speed645 is offline
Registered User
Location: ohio
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 64
Mein Auto: 645ci
Has anyone found the definite solution?


Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-08-2017, 11:50 AM
Scooby1021 Scooby1021 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 10
Mein Auto:
Bro I gave up. Car has been sitting in the garage now for a lil over a year now all I do is start it once in a while and maybe drive it around the block once in a while. I can't drive it far no more than a 30 mins before it acts up. It will go in neutral by its self or cut off and when I restart it again it's stuck in 1st gear and won't start for 1 hr. Car is so beautiful clean in and out Blk on Blk. .
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-09-2017, 10:18 PM
Vinbee35 Vinbee35 is offline
Registered User
Location: Malaysia
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: 645ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby1021 View Post
Bro I gave up. Car has been sitting in the garage now for a lil over a year now all I do is start it once in a while and maybe drive it around the block once in a while. I can't drive it far no more than a 30 mins before it acts up. It will go in neutral by its self or cut off and when I restart it again it's stuck in 1st gear and won't start for 1 hr. Car is so beautiful clean in and out Blk on Blk. .
Bro, I m facing the some problem with you. Been 7 months now. Sitting and waiting. Anyone could help?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-10-2017, 06:17 PM
HerbP HerbP is offline
Super Moderator
Location: Georgia
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 6,882
Mein Auto: 05 645Ci, 14 750 M-Sport
I would go to the M5Board where M6's have SMG tranny's. You will get more help there.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-10-2017, 08:09 PM
Vinbee35 Vinbee35 is offline
Registered User
Location: Malaysia
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: 645ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbP View Post
I would go to the M5Board where M6's have SMG tranny's. You will get more help there.
Thank you bro, will check it out there. Appreciate your help.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-16-2017, 02:09 PM
Vinbee35 Vinbee35 is offline
Registered User
Location: Malaysia
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: 645ci
Hey, just changed cluth position sensor but the problem still occur. What should i do next. Pls help........

Sent from my SM-P555 using Bimmerfest mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-25-2017, 12:10 AM
rebel.ranter rebel.ranter is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Cork, Ireland
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 845
Mein Auto: M6, 630i, 320iC
The system on the 645Ci has more in common with the e46 M3 than the e63 M6. It is SMG II and the M5/6 is SMGIII.
So another place to go searching is e46 M3 boards like M3 cutters.
__________________
Current cars
1996 e36 320iC (convertible)
2006 e63 630i Sport w/SMG
2007 e63 M6


Previous Cars: 2002 e39 525iA Sport, 1994 e36 318i, 1990 e34 520i, 1989 e30 325i, 1986 e30 316
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-26-2017, 04:27 AM
smgsociety smgsociety is offline
Registered User
Location: Berlin, Germany
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 35
Mein Auto: E46 325Ci SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel.ranter View Post
The system on the 645Ci has more in common with the e46 M3 than the e63 M6. It is SMG II and the M5/6 is SMGIII.
So another place to go searching is e46 M3 boards like M3 cutters.
Wrong. The SMG system built in the 645/650 is the same as built in the Non-M E60, Z4 E85 and E46 models. It's the 6-speed Non-M SMG (also often referenced as SSG) which is completely different to the SMG II (M3) and SMG III (M5 and M6).
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-28-2017, 11:26 AM
Vinbee35 Vinbee35 is offline
Registered User
Location: Malaysia
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: 645ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Coupe View Post
I believe that's your cluth position sensor. If it would not shift into any gear at all from whatever gear it is stuck in then it is more likely the whole SMG hydraulic pump assembly has failed. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partxref?q=21532229715

If you stand next to your car and unlock the doors with the fob and you do NOT hear the whine it makes all the time when you unlock the doors, then the SMG hydraulic pump assembly has failed.

There is a $20 salmon colored relay located in the relay box under the passenger side cabin air filter box under the hood. Replace that and it may fix your problem. If it does not then its likely your Cluth Position Sensor has failed $300 https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E63-64...ssion/ES43871/
I had changed hydraulic pump and clutch position sensor but problem still did not solve. What/where else should I look into? Been almost a year since I bought and always in the garage and I drive not more than 300km. Could anyone pls help me?
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-28-2017, 11:42 AM
smgsociety smgsociety is offline
Registered User
Location: Berlin, Germany
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 35
Mein Auto: E46 325Ci SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinbee35 View Post
I had changed hydraulic pump and clutch position sensor but problem still did not solve. What/where else should I look into? Been almost a year since I bought and always in the garage and I drive not more than 300km. Could anyone pls help me?
Did you check the clutch actuator if leaking?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-28-2017, 11:45 AM
Vinbee35 Vinbee35 is offline
Registered User
Location: Malaysia
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: 645ci
Will check and get back to u. Thanks
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.