645 SMG gear Will NOT work - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 03-05-2017, 10:27 AM

Mein Auto: 645ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by smgsociety View Post
Did you check the clutch actuator if leaking?
Checked but no leak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2017, 08:43 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 645 Ci SMG
Hi All,
I have a 04 645Ci SMG, and have the same problem. The car has been producing the same symptoms for over a year now:
- usually it happens when I drive it for long time (mostly in the city with a lot of shifting and clutch use) or when it's hot outside.
- what is does is: when I stop, I can hear the hydraulic assembly working, but on the display on the instrument cluster the gear is switching back and forth from 1st to 2nd and the car wouldn't start. Sometimes (when I'm lucky) it takes 2nd gear, so that I can at least start rolling with the car. These times usually I can't switch into 3rd and 5th, it starts to hesitate when I switch into these gears and then skips them to jump into 4th or 6th.
- of I let the car 'rest' for 30-40 minutes, everything gets back to normal.
I'm not a mechanic, but for me it makes the impression of some kind of a heating problem. Or can it be a mechanical problem? Like a worn part that produces the issue due to thermal expansion or something?
Old 08-13-2017, 11:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 bmw 645ci smg
I have a 2004 645ci with the same issue, I'm leaning towards the SMG control module. I get multiple transmission codes including "control module internal fault" the car will not go into 1st or reverse, when I hooked my BMW scan tool up during it's intermittent failure I see on the scan tool the control module is receiving all the commands from the shifter but yet the transmission does not respond, but when I force a 1st gear or reverse command from the scan tool the transmission responds and it shifts into the requested gears. It's almost a 2,000 bucks to replace the control unit from the dealer, so I want to see if any of you guys resolved your issues yet before I pull the trigger on this replacement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2017, 12:16 PM

Here's a follow up, I replaced the SMG control unit, the "module internal fault" code away and now code 4EF5 came up which is the SMG selection angle sensor fault. Now I'm going to scope the signal from that sensor to see if the signal is constant, hopefully the computer is heading me in the right direction.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 10-02-2017, 03:01 PM

Mein Auto: 645 bmw ci
Im having the same similar problems tired of the car it jus sits in garage only has 103,000 miles its a great car jus cant seem to findout why it gets stuck in first and want start
Old 03-13-2018, 08:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 650i conv
650i SMG problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinbee35 View Post
Bro, I m facing the some problem with you. Been 7 months now. Sitting and waiting. Anyone could help?
I've had the same problem. My car has been a mechanics' for 6 months. Did you figure out the problem?
Old 03-13-2018, 08:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 650i conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemouth View Post
Im having the same similar problems tired of the car it jus sits in garage only has 103,000 miles its a great car jus cant seem to findout why it gets stuck in first and want start
I've had the same problem. My car has been at a mechanics' for 6 months. Did you figure out the problem?
Old 03-14-2018, 04:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci
Before I replaced my pump and battery - I was having issues with the shifter switching to N while driving, and then when I parked switch to 1 so I couldnt restart the car.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:56 PM

I finally fixed my issue, or shall I say issues. The reason I kept getting weird codes was because the were two sensors going bad at the same time confusing the SMG computer to throw the right code. The clutch sensor was bad along with the shift angel sensor. I had to track and trend each value and saw fluctuations within the two readings. I had to pull the trans down to change the shift angle sensor but it was worth it. My car drives perfect now. ***129305;

Sent from my SM-G955U using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 08-01-2018, 02:57 AM

Mein Auto:
Hi! i have the same problem in my 645 (2005) ... In BMW Spain said its possible is Shift sensor (23 42 7 507 169)
Old 08-17-2019, 04:19 AM

Mein Auto: E39 525d
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkosP87 View Post
Hi All,
I have a 04 645Ci SMG, and have the same problem. The car has been producing the same symptoms for over a year now:
- usually it happens when I drive it for long time (mostly in the city with a lot of shifting and clutch use) or when it's hot outside.
- what is does is: when I stop, I can hear the hydraulic assembly working, but on the display on the instrument cluster the gear is switching back and forth from 1st to 2nd and the car wouldn't start. Sometimes (when I'm lucky) it takes 2nd gear, so that I can at least start rolling with the car. These times usually I can't switch into 3rd and 5th, it starts to hesitate when I switch into these gears and then skips them to jump into 4th or 6th.
- of I let the car 'rest' for 30-40 minutes, everything gets back to normal.
I'm not a mechanic, but for me it makes the impression of some kind of a heating problem. Or can it be a mechanical problem? Like a worn part that produces the issue due to thermal expansion or something?

I have same problem, how you solve that?

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search