BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

BMW 5 Series Lease Return Sheet W/ Costs

6K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  WilliCO 
#1 ·
There have been questions on these boards regarding costs for lease return etc, so I thought I would make a copy of the official lease return email I got when I returned my car(s).

This was for my wifes car, which was a 2013 Active Hybrid 5. This is the official lease return paperwork that shows the costs for each item, etc. Hope this helps everyone wanting to know "how much is XXXX on lease return".

View attachment BMW 535 Lease Return.pdf

#4 ·
From the looks of the form, the only options are yes or no, so maybe it's just any missed maintenance costs you 750? Otherwise that's super punitive...

#6 ·
Interesting, thanks for sharing!

#7 ·
I just noticed that I uploaded my 335 lease end sheet, instead of my wifes AH5 sheet. Same charges though. Her car had 18s, mine had 19s for example but the form is exactly the same.

#8 ·
Bump...

@Mods... Maybe having the lease return sheet as a sticky might be appropriate? There are at least a couple "what is appropriate XXX for return on my lease" questions every day, and having that up there might be helpful.

Just a thought, if you guys dont agree, no problem :)

#10 ·
My last lease I turned in 2010 and they hit me for $1000 charge for "hail Damage". I was cool and just asked for verification. The could not produce it and thus, there was no charge.

Just saying.

#13 · (Edited)
Bump....

People have been asking about lease turn in, so I am bumping this because it contains the lease turn in paperwork.

(as a reminder this lease sheet is actually on my 335, not my wifes AH5 but its still a lease return sheet).

#14 ·
With me, BMW was very lenient compared to Acura (who spent 45 minutes with a fine-tooth comb in, under and around my car).

My 535i sold in a day. MDX (in perfect shape)? 2 months and counting...

#21 ·
With me, BMW was very lenient compared to Acura (who spent 45 minutes with a fine-tooth comb in, under and around my car).

My 535i sold in a day.
Same. My lease return took 10 minutes and seemed less detailed than a rental car return. My car sold before the listing went fully live on the dealer's site. The listing showed "incoming" with no pictures or details for a few days and then disappeared, and the VIN pulls no result on BMWUSA now. I wonder who bought it.

BMW is a machine with lease returns and the CPO program. They know what they are doing.

#16 ·
Lexus probably does not inflate the residual value like BMW does (artificially high). Most people attempting to do this on a BMW lease would lose several thousand dollars, because BMWs are WAAAY inflated residual wise when they come back.

Does anyone actually think that the 67 percent residual value they are getting on current 2016 3 series is actually what the car will be worth in 3 years? Its going to be worth more like 53-55 percent, so it makes no sense to sell it, or to buy it either unless you can get the residual lowered a bunch.

#19 ·
With the exception of Infinite, those other car manufacturers are much more discipline with their residual values. The key for BMW is to be able to still make money when they sell their off lease cars at below residual value. In order to do that, they need to inflate their MSRP of their new cars.

#20 ·
I dont think BMW is having a problem with this current model of inflated residual values. Here is what I think is going on.

Luxury cars depreciate so quickly, and so steeply in the first 2-3 years that it makes very little sense to buy one new, unless you plan on keeping it for a MINIMUM of 7 years or so. The best way to purchase one of these cars (any new car, but PARTICULARLY a luxury car like these) is to buy one that is 2-3 years old.

Those 2-3 year old cars have to come from somewhere, and SOMEONE needs to eat the depreciation on the new ones. BMW is paying to turn over the inventory and get more car sales.

For their dealer network, 2-3 year old cars (and service) is where a dealer makes their money. We all know that they make (in general) FAR more money on selling a 3 year old CPO car than they do selling your typical new one.

They (dealer network) also gets 2 chances to sell the same car (generally, vs the car going to the secondary market). They get 2 chances to sell lucrative extended warranties instead of one, etc.

Like you mentioned, they simply need to manage their costs to manufacture the vehicle vs the MSRP, which is easily done by increasing the MSRP and Original selling price.

They pay for all that car sales turnover and support of their dealer network with the inflated residuals, but that keeps their dealer network healthy (ier).

#24 ·
Very interesting, thanks for posting it.

#29 ·
Since to my massive surprise I made it through lease inspection on my original tires, I have three used tires available. It's three because I lost one of my originals to a pothole mid-lease, so I figured the replacement would have plenty of tread.

Make me an offer on the listing, these are sitting in my garage.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=928900

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.