Ď08 328i Rough Idle, Engine shut off, ABS light, HELP PLEASE - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-27-2018, 12:27 PM

Mein Auto:
Ď08 328i Rough Idle, Engine shut off, ABS light, HELP PLEASE

Hello, as much as i love my car and i canít think about getting rid of it, i donít know whatís going on. Iíve been having electrical issues since i got the car, but this time itís even worse. My car has shut off on my twice while driving and idles extremely hard in park. Even then, it stalled on me as well while on the highway, Iím not sure exactly whatís going on with my car but i need to know so i can get it done, i canít lose my car! Thank you for helping me out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2018, 02:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '08 335xi E90 manual
What codes?
Old 05-27-2018, 02:10 PM

Mein Auto:
Surprisingly, it doesnít give me any codes for it, i have a video i can send you of the rpms dropping dramatically. Iíve been told that i could be my coils, and if so i still donít know where to buy the coils and the brand... etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2018, 02:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 328xi E91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersoto View Post
...My car has shut off on my twice while driving and idles extremely hard in park. Even then, it stalled on me as well while on the highway...
Quote:
Surprisingly, it doesnít give me any codes for it, i have a video i can send you of the rpms dropping dramatically...
SUGGESTIONS:

1) Do NOT throw parts at it.
2) Diagnose the problem properly yourself, or have it diagnosed by a knowledgeable tech with INPA/ISTA.

If you had a "misfire" due to a problem with one or more coils, plugs or injectors, you would get one or more P-codes (generic OBD codes) in the P0300 to P0306 range, and the SES light would come on. There ARE problems such as a vacuum leak in the intake, fuel pump beginning to fail, etc. which can cause symptoms like what I understand you to describe, but may NOT set any generic code or SES light.

(0) What scan tool/code reader/ software did you use to try to read codes, or are you talking about CC-ID codes? The latter are generally NOT helpful for diagnosing the problems you describe.

QUESTIONS:
Set Handbrake, place in Park and leave it there without pressing throttle pedal for these tests:
1) Does the engine start within a second or two of the time you press the START button, cold engine (having sat overnight)?
2) Does the SES (Service Engine Soon) light come on after startup?
3) Are there any warning lights or icons on the instrument cluster?
4) What is the idle RPM immediately after startup?
5) If you let it idle without putting it in gear for ~ 5 minutes, what is the RPM & does the idle get rougher as the engine warms?
6) Do you know how to use the "Hidden Codes" feature to see engine temperature displayed on the instrument cluster?
7) If you open the hood and listen to the engine at the left/US Driver side of the engine where the air cleaner and intake manifold are, doe you hear any "hiss" or rush of air in the air duct between the air cleaner and the throttle body? OR, do you hear any hiss in the hose coming from the rear of the Valve Cover and going to the intake manifold?

With Answers to questions 0 through 7, perhaps someone can suggest something you can check yourself. Otherwise, a tech with INPA/ISTA is advisable.

George
Old 05-27-2018, 03:00 PM

Mein Auto:
Iíll make sure i answer all of these in a second, but can a bad battery be the reason why?
Old 05-27-2018, 08:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 328xi E91
Quote:
Iíll make sure i answer all of these in a second, but can a bad battery be the reason why?
A bad battery would generally NOT cause the car to stall while driving, or cause a rough idle. That is assuming it cranks the starter and starts the engine AFTER the stall, or the next day. A bad alternator or charging circuit MIGHT be a factor, but you would get SOME type of warning light on the dash, anything from (1) multiple warning lights at the same time (alternator output voltage too high) or (2) the Low Battery warning light due to the alternator NOT charging.

You might provide a little more detailed description of exactly (a) what has occurred when it "shuts off" or "stalls" while driving -- does it start again immediately -- do you have to wait for a few minutes -- do you have to get a jumpstart or tow? (b) when the "rough idle" or "hard idle in Park" occurs (cold engine, warm engine, etc.) and if the engine smooths at higher RPM, and performs normally in hard acceleration in 1st & 2nd, or rather, does it stumble or hesitate when you try to accelerate?

Also I just noticed that your thread title suggests there is a problem with the "ABS Light." At least at first glance, that does NOT appear to be related to the rough idle & stalling, but please indicate what light exactly is lit, and whether it is ON CONSTANTLY, or under what conditions it comes on after startup.

The ONLY way diagnosis of a problem on the internet can work (often it CANNOT ;-) is if you supply ALL the information a tech would want to find if he had the car to observe & test, and even then, detailed history of the problem is helpful to the tech's diagnosis. Fault diagnosis is kinda like the old computer programmer's saying: "Garbage in -- garbage out." The diagnosis is ONLY as good as the information provided (at BEST ;-) and often it is ONLY worth what you paid for it.

George
Old 06-04-2018, 07:38 AM

Mein Auto:
1. My engine has no issues starting up even if sitting overnight.
2. Actually yesterday I ended up having a major radiator hose leak, i had to change the entire hose and etc. but the SES light has been off since then until a moment ago it turned back on.
3. I don't have other lights on other than the passenger seat belt and airbag
4. RPMs usually sit a little under 1 at start up.
5. The idle does the weird this were it'll drop extremely low. It usually sits at .5 when it heats up and then proceeds to drop down to .2 or even lower for a split second causing the block to jerk. It gets worse with time.
6. I am aware of how to use the hidden code menu
7. I do not hear any hissing or any other sound coming from any part of the car.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 335is, 2007 X3
Symptoms of a Bad BMW VANOS System
Loss of power and torque, primarily in the lower ranges, typically below 3k RPMS
Engine hesitation and bogging in the lower rpm ranges
Rough idle with frequent hiccups
Increased fuel consumption or poor fuel economy
Cold start issues and stalling in cold weather
Engine fault codes, aka a check engine light
Engine constantly falls into limp mode after acceleration
Vanos Fault Codes:
P1520: Camshaft position actuator, exhaust
P1523: Camshaft position actuator is jammed, exhaust
P1397: Camshaft position sensor B
2A82: Vanos intake solenoid (Part #: 11 36 7 585 425)
2A87: Vanos exhaust solenoid (Part #: 11 36 7 585 425)
These are only a few fault codes for the Vanos system, other codes could also indicate a failing Vanos system. If you have a check engine light, we highly recommend buying a code reader and finding out what it is yourself before you pay a shop $100 to plug their scanner into it.

BMW 335is, Cobb tune with VRSF intercooler, Injen CAI, and BMS downpipes. 382/414 rwhp/tq. Le Mans blue with Black Dakota leather, Convenience and Premium packages, 19" wheels, 7 speed DCT, heated seats, Nav., Harmon Kardon Logic 7 stereo w/ Satellite radio.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
2008, 2008 328i, 328i, abs, coil overs, engine, engine turns off, rough idle

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search