Opinions on Midnight Blue color? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions

General BMW Questions
Use this forum to ask general question about the BMW ownership and keep up on the latest BMW news. Direct all model specific questions to model specific forums below.

Old 01-23-2019, 02:52 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw E90 M Sport -08
Opinions on Midnight Blue color?

Hi!

Newbie on the forum here to soak in knowledge.

After riding a classic E46 for a couple of years I today went and looked at a E90 for sale. Looking at the photos of the car in question the car appeared to be classic black, no questions asked. However, when arriving I was surprisingly met by a dark blue color he called "Midnight Blue". I had not seen it before and it kinda made me doubt my own judgement.

There for I'd like to ask people on this forum what their personal opinions on the color is?

Thank you for honest opinions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2019, 06:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 04 M3, 14 335GT, 13 X3
I don't recall Midnight Blue on the E90, there was Monaco Blue which could look almost black depending on the light. When you look closely in bright sunlight you'll see tiny flecks of various colors - sounds weird but it really works.

Another blue/black color is Carbon Black. This looks dark blue in bright light.

Midnight Blue on the F30 is a dark blue with a green tinge.

If you like the color on the car, then who cares. If possible look at it in different lighting to make sure. If you have the VIN, you can look up the factory specs to find the official color name.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:43 AM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi 4dr; '03 330Ci
Based on this and your other question about the headlights, it's safe to assume at this point that the salesman is clueless about the E90, and is giving you whatever plausible answer he believes will sell the car.

First off, are you (and the car) located in the Unites States? The answers change if you are not. The model year of the car is also important information.

Assuming a US car, the available blues (from darkest to lightest, roughly) through the E90 production run were:
  • Monaco Blue Metallic
  • Midnight Blue Metallic - yes, it was available on the E90 platform, but only on the 3 Series GT.
  • Deep Sea Blue Metallic
  • Le Mans Blue Metallic - exclusive to the M Sport package (and the 335is limited edition)
  • Montego Blue Metallic
  • Estoril Blue Metallic - exclusive to the 3 Series GT
  • Atlantic Blue Metallic - coupes (E92) and convertibles (E93) only
  • Liquid Blue Metallic - convertibles only
  • Blue Water Metallic
Only the first two on that list could reasonably be mistaken for black in a photograph, and maybe Deep Sea Blue in the dark.

The 3GT is an interesting possibility if the salesman is not completely clueless. Does the car you saw have a "GT" badge on the left side of the decklid? Does it have a hatchback instead of a proper trunk? If so, that's a 3 Series GT and congratulations, you found a fairly rarely bird.

Among E90s, Carbon Black was exclusive to the M3.

Any other colors (on a US car) that could be mistaken for black would be BMW Individual options, identified by paint-code stickers on the underside of the hood that read "BMW SONDERLACKIERUNG" (special paint) and/or "BMW Individual" with the VIN. However, E90 Individuals are exceedingly rare in the US so that's likely not it.

The easiest way to be sure is to just check the paint-code sticker under the hood. Next-best option is to run the last seven characters of the VIN through an online VIN "decoder" to get the options list from a BMW database. That will include the paint and upholstery codes.

BMW CCA

Last edited by Zeichen311; 01-24-2019 at 05:29 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
blue, bmw, color, e90, midnight, opinion

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions
Today's Posts Search