Chirp / Squeak @ Idle After Warmed Up - E90 328i xDrive 2011 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 11-10-2018, 09:06 PM

Mein Auto:
Chirp / Squeak @ Idle After Warmed Up - E90 328i xDrive 2011

- - Car - -

2011 E90 328i xDrive SULEV N51
115K miles, mostly highway
I tend to use manual mode vs. automatic/drive
Performance brakes, otherwise stock
I spilled a little coolant during a top off last week, but I'm not sure if it hit the belt.

- - Last Week - -

For about a week now on my commute to Boston, I have been hearing a subtle but noticeable squeak/chirping (not whine/squeal/rattle) from the (warm) engine bay as I come to a stop and idle.

I cannot hear the chirping after I get off the brake and move or even roll in 1st or 2nd. It occurs after driving for about 15 minutes and is most pronounced as the engine falls to 700 to 600 RPM. The chirping is longest and loudest as soon as I'm stopped, but always softens and tightens as I sit in idle.

The sound is most audible crouching next to either front tire vs the engine bay with hood open. I'd like to think it's bad belt from age/coolant, but it doesn't make any noise at idle until its warm...which I thought was confusing, or am I misunderstood?

What could cause a belt to squeak only when hot?

- - Recently - -

Yesterday, the steering became very stiff 45 into turns and has difficulty returning to center from the moment the car starts. The stiffness barrier seems to move with the steering wheel if I hold it turned.

To top it off, braking hard makes the same chirping, just softer but more rapid!

- - Help - -

Can a bad belt cause this type of steering issue/hard brake chirp from a cold start, but not squeak unless idle and hot, or could this be something else?

I really struggle to hear it while I have my ear to the belt, It is much louder from the front sides and under the car.

Does a bad belt always make noise, or can its defect causing something else like the PS pump to squeak?

Need some engineers here!

Thank,
Peter

Last edited by Rudolphe; 11-10-2018 at 09:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2019, 11:51 AM

Mein Auto:
My 328i has started to make squeaky sounds as they turn either direction from neutral. It's been 3 days, and on the first day i was "WTF is that did I just run over a rat?" and on my third day now and it's starting to be louder lol.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:01 AM
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!

Mein Auto: 1999 740iS, 2008 335xi
Could be the belt tensioner.

sent from the future using the bimmerfest app embedded in my neural implant

2005 Venture Extended LT - what else you gonna drive when you have 6 kids, cargo and still want better than 10MPG
1999 740iA - long term project/summer DD
2000 Impala LS - RIP 12/23/2016, officially totaled by insurance company
2001 330xiA - fXtXeX/son project - now April's car
2008 335xiA - winterbeater Impala replacement
2002 530i/5 - 2.5 years searching...and it is John's car
1989 535i/5 - the spare car
2002 325xiA - to be Charlotte's when she gets her license (?2019?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2019, 11:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i x-drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by u.nanimous View Post
Could be the belt tensioner.
Without having a sound clip to reference, this was the first thing I thought of too.

Not even sure if -40 degrees is cold anymore ?
Old 01-15-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
Without having a sound clip to reference, this was the first thing I thought of too.
Mine was actually a lot like OP's conditions, quiet when cold but starts making noise as the engine warms up. The only difference may be that mine squealed like a stuck pig while driving, but I could only ever hear it with the windows down driving close enough to something to bounce the sound off of - cabin has too much sound insulation.

Speaking of having the windows down...how many months in the year do you get to do that regularly?

2005 Venture Extended LT - what else you gonna drive when you have 6 kids, cargo and still want better than 10MPG
Old 01-15-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Mine was actually a lot like OP's conditions, quiet when cold but starts making noise as the engine warms up. The only difference may be that mine squealed like a stuck pig while driving, but I could only ever hear it with the windows down driving close enough to something to bounce the sound off of - cabin has too much sound insulation.

Speaking of having the windows down...how many months in the year do you get to do that regularly?
I had a whine (wasn't drive belt related) that I also could only hear if the window was down, or I was standing in front of the car with it running. I do have to say, the BMW interior is pretty quiet / well insulated.

Basically from April until October. We get a kind of stereo-type of what the weather's like this far north, but it's honestly not that bad. Trust me, if it was, I would't live here, haha. And this year has been really strange. All of November and December hovered around the freezing mark, usually it's significantly colder. It's cooled down since then, but still, not as cold as it normally is

Old 01-16-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
I had a whine (wasn't drive belt related) that I also could only hear if the window was down, or I was standing in front of the car with it running. I do have to say, the BMW interior is pretty quiet / well insulated.

Basically from April until October. We get a kind of stereo-type of what the weather's like this far north, but it's honestly not that bad. Trust me, if it was, I would't live here, haha. And this year has been really strange. All of November and December hovered around the freezing mark, usually it's significantly colder. It's cooled down since then, but still, not as cold as it normally is
That's the duration I have my pool open, and people think I'm crazy because it isn't heated. Here in the Detroit/Ann Arbor area the weather can be anything when you're not expecting it, we've only been noticeably below freezing a few days this season and yet to the south of us have been a couple winter storms actually killing people. A few days ago my sister down by Indianapolis got 10" of snow and we got an hour of drizzle.
I know temperature doesn't always correlate with lattitude though, Seattle in the dead of winter can actually be warm although if you go 30 miles inland (or higher elevation) and all of a sudden it goes from shorts to long johns.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
That's the duration I have my pool open, and people think I'm crazy because it isn't heated. Here in the Detroit/Ann Arbor area the weather can be anything when you're not expecting it, we've only been noticeably below freezing a few days this season and yet to the south of us have been a couple winter storms actually killing people. A few days ago my sister down by Indianapolis got 10" of snow and we got an hour of drizzle.
I know temperature doesn't always correlate with lattitude though, Seattle in the dead of winter can actually be warm although if you go 30 miles inland (or higher elevation) and all of a sudden it goes from shorts to long johns.
Yes, places south of us in Canada (Calgary, Edmonton) have been getting a lot more snow than we have. We just got a good 1/4 inch of snow last night actually, so the roads are now definitely covered like we'd normally expect. Don't get me wrong - I'm not complaining, it's a lot easier on the heating bills if the weather is warmer But that being said, there is 100% a difference in climate these days. What that means going into the (near) future, I don't know.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
328i, belt, chirping, e90, idle, noise, pulley, squeak, steering, stiff, vanos

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search