Turbo Lag/Wastegate Discussion - 2008 335xi - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-18-2019, 02:31 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 330Xi
Turbo Lag/Wastegate Discussion - 2008 335xi

Hi,

I was a long time owner of a N52 E90, I finally had to part with the vehicle after hitting 325,000km due to work =(

I recently picked up a used N54 - 2008 335xi. The vehicle has significant wastegate rattle when letting off the throttle. I purchased knowing there was this issue.

My question is... does a wastegate rattle mean that the turbo/wastegate definitely needs a rebuild/replacement ? Am I losing power/fuel economy at the moment? I have tried searching da Google and da forums with no luck... the vehicle still pulls hard, a lot faster than the N52 - 330xi. So I'm unsure if the vehicle is faster based on pure engine power, or if the turbos are still functioning fine albeit with waste gate rattle. I just don't want to spend the time or money ($3500) to have the turbos pulled and rebuilt, just to find out all I paid for was to get rid of the wastegate rattle sound.

For those that have, or recall; on a 2008 335xi STOCK everything. Is there turbo lag on a OEM setup ? Should the vehicle pull hard then you feel a noticeable turbo kick at a specific RPM ? Or is there no turbo lag and the vehicle just pulls fine at all RPMS's and gears etc.

Thanks for any input !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2019, 10:14 PM
I'm much better now, Dave

Mein Auto: 2008 335i e92
I have an e92 (2008). The waste-gate rattle was a huge and very public problem for a year or so when it first came out.
Then the dealer fixed it. I believe by a recall.
Go online and check for Service Bulletins and such. I think they reprogrammed the gate software. The rattle came from a tune aspect that was a bit off, I think.

RE: your second question about Turbo Lag. This also comes from the gate problem. After it's fixed, there will still be a lag, (can't avoid some, from any turbo), but its barely noticeable, certainly less than the single-turbo car I had before.

Last edited by Mech_Man; 06-18-2019 at 10:17 PM.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:25 PM

Thanks for the response Mech_Man. Your E92 has noticeable lag though? As in, if you accelerate and floor it. You can feel the difference between engine power and when the turbo kicks in?

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2019, 08:12 AM
I'm much better now, Dave

Mein Auto: 2008 335i e92
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlzCalmDown View Post
Thanks for the response Mech_Man. Your E92 has noticeable lag though? As in, if you accelerate and floor it. You can feel the difference between engine power and when the turbo kicks in?
All turbos have lag. It's a physical limitation.
On increase of need, it takes a moment for them to overcome their own inertia and spin to a faster RPM.
BMW went to two smaller turbos (one for each half of the 6 cylinders), for the N54 engine, so each turbo would have less mass, therefore less inertia, therefore less lag. Which is true, except the software controlling the waste-gate (the bypass flapper-valve) was set too far, and caused the rattles.

My first car was a Dotson (now Nisan) 280Z with one turbo. It had a lag that was a bit more than my e92. Punch-it, and the car would just barely start going faster, then there was a half-second pause, then catapult off the flight deck.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:31 AM

Mech_Man. I think youíre misunderstanding. I am aware of how turbos work etc. I am simply asking, if you are at a dead stop, and accelerate to 100km/h etc, do you actually feel a noticeable moment where the turbos kick in.

Iím going to go test drive a used 08 335xi at a used dealer to find out for myself, then at least I will have a baseline to decide repairs

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 06-19-2019, 09:05 AM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi 4dr; '03 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlzCalmDown View Post
I am simply asking, if you are at a dead stop, and accelerate to 100km/h etc, do you actually feel a noticeable moment where the turbos kick in.
No, unless you are paying close attention and deliberately trying to catch the engine off-guard. Under WOT, these engines produce full rated torque from just off idle (~1,300rpm IIRC).

Now, transmission lag, for the automatics...that's a separate question.

BMW CCA

Last edited by Zeichen311; 06-19-2019 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeichen311 View Post
No, unless you are paying close attention and deliberately trying to catch the engine off-guard. Under WOT, these engines produce full rated torque from just off idle (~1,300rpm IIRC).

Now, transmission lag, for the automatics...that's a separate question.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
e90, lag, n54, turbo, wastegate

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search